Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the bikes that were presented to last years 24hr Lamans winners were skinned with michelin tires? The owners of Ducati I think also own Michelin so why don't Ducati's come with Michelins as the tire of choice? Is it that Pirelli is Italian and Ducati is Italian and therefore it keeps everything Italian? I'm pretty sure when I wear these Pirelli's out I'll be replacing them with Mich PR-4's.
Does that make me a bad person?:(

·
Registered
156 Posts
I cant find the pictures now of the bikes but i remember saying then "that is one bad photo shop" of the Michelin paint on the sidewalls and in looking at the tread pattern they were Pirelli's I believe they had something to do w/ Audi being sponsored by Michelin and or the event sponsored by them.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
No,.... I think you will like some Mr.Bibbs!

BTW, I don't think Audi owns Michelin, although they are racing partners in car events, like the 24 hours of LeMans.
But then again,.... who knows for sure in this age of international business!!!

IMG_3480.JPG

942370_594691953896592_684025505_n.jpg

10300013_708889669158000_2485755936092966532_n.jpg

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks and I'll look at that picture again. Don't get me wrong I think the Italians make some great stuff. Racing bicycles and components like Campagnola guns like Beretta and a slew of motorcycles of which I think Ducati is tops.
If the Pirellis last long I'll get them again cause I think Italian bikes should have Italian tires German bikes should have German tires (Metzler) and Michelin's should should go on those French motorcycles.:ahhh:

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Pirelli has a developer/distribution contract with Ducati. The two of them work hand in hand to produce tires which work properly on Ducati's. Dunlop and Pirelli are the two OEM tire providers for mostly all performance motorcycles in the US, on-road or off-road.

Tires that last long, have lower grip levels, its a trade off. If you want a grippy tire, its going to wear out quick, its that simple.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Thanks and I'll look at that picture again. Don't get me wrong I think the Italians make some great stuff. Racing bicycles and components like Campagnola guns like Beretta and a slew of motorcycles of which I think Ducati is tops.
If the Pirellis last long I'll get them again cause I think Italian bikes should have Italian tires German bikes should have German tires (Metzler) and Michelin's should should go on those French motorcycles.:ahhh:
The Michelins on the bike in the above photos are made in Spain. The Spanish Superbike Series uses Michelin tires, so yes, there are Current Michelin Race Tires, such as the power slicks, in three different compounds. In addition, the DOT Race tires are available in the same three compounds. In October/November Michelin will be introducing brand new models of tires, including roadracing designs. This of course is the prelude to Michelin being the only tire supplier for MotoGP, starting in 2016. The future looks very bright for Michelin, and I for one, cannot wait to try the new Mr. Bibbs,...... I have already ordered my first two sets!!!!
Hopefully available by the October AHRMA races.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live in Florida and don't plan on ear holing much as the roads are too straight and tend to have more sand and grit to have to worry about. You comment about a grippy tire not lasting as long and the trade off are spot on, and as I said if I can get some reasonable mileage out of these Diablo Rossi II (as they do work well in few turns I've leaned into) I'll get them again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I changed the Pirelli at 5000 miles on put on a set of Michelin PR4 and never regreted it.
I now have 12,000 miles and they are still on the bike and I don't see a reason why to change them, still good.

·
Registered
12,892 Posts
I've run the Pirelli Roso Corsa, Bridgestone whatevers, Dunlop Q3's and all the Michelin family on my Ducati. I always come back to the Michelin. I work in a motorcycle shop so money isn't the issue. I like a constant tire that works well without having to be super hot and lasts a bit longer than 6000K on a Superbike. I did run a pair of Pirelli SuperCorsa SV2's but they are a super soft grippy tire and were pretty much cooked after 3500K on them.

The PR4 is a great balance of grip, longevity and even wet weather grip and while not as grippy as some out there, they generally tend to be put on bikes with a bit more weight and ones that aren't going to be rolling up balls of rubber off the edge.....not that they can't do it in the proper hands but not their main focus.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts