Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motorcycle usa middle weight twin shootout. Fair comments except they say the 821 is all top end power and slow to get there. Then they say they ran it in touring mode as they prefered the more linear throttle response. How can you pass comment on an engine if u dont test it in its full unrestricted mode.
2015 Middleweight Sport Twins Shootout - Motorcycle USA

·
Registered
133 Posts
i don't know what to believe from these reviewers. especially after a bunch of the scrambler reviews. some people say the suspension is too soft and others say its too hard.

with the monster 821, i've heard reviewers say the bottom end torque pulls hard and smooth and theres almost no need to go into the higher rev range. then these guys say you need to bring it to the top end to get anything out of it. seems strange.

imo, the monster comes out on top. look at the performance scores versus the reviewer scores. in appearance it loses 3 points to the yamaha which i totally disagree. the monster out of those 3 is the best looking. the headlights on the others look too small.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Agree, their comments regards the engine simply dont add up. Look at the dyno comparison they have, the 821 has lots more torque and power across the entire rev range. Perhaps the fact the other two bikes run out of breath several thousand rpm lower then the 821 gives them the impression they came up with. But if they were utilizing touring mode like they say then yes it does feel mellow in the lower rpm and slower to rev. Its supposed to, geez they run the test in a riding mode that did what its supposed to and complain the engine is all top end. How about leaving it in sports mode. I agree regards the handle bars feeling weird, rizoma MA011 are far better. They complain the bike doesnt lock you into the seat or race position enough, well duh is it meant to? I would think that's what the streetfighter is for

·
Registered
43 Posts
The yamaha is obviously a great bike and a really good bargain.
That doesn't make the Monster a bad bike though. I always wanted a Monster and the Yamaha would just have been another bike, all be it a very good one.
I had a test ride on a Street Triple r and thought it was tremendous. I still bought the Monster 821 though as that's what I wanted.
Bikes are as much about the heart as well as the head.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I always ignore these reviews, I wanted a monster so I got a monster. It's all about what you want not what these reviews suggest.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I always ignore these reviews, I wanted a monster so I got a monster. It's all about what you want not what these reviews suggest.
and thats where i'm at right now. always loved the monster style (not so much the last generation with the headlight strip thing). but the 821 for me is everything i'd want except for the SSS. but otherwise perfect. just saving and buying the rest of my gear first.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I purchased the street triple with my head when my heart wanted the 821. Flipped a coin many times heads meant monster and thats what turned up near all flips, still went with the triple... heart won overall as it was sold months later for the 821 lol...
Would have loved a diavel but the price is too high.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts