Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am out riding my 2004 749 with some friends yesterday - 2 "94 900 SS's, a Diavel and some jap stuff. Well we make our second gas stop after about 90 miles of spirited riding and the 2 900's used 2.2 gallons of gas each to my 3. Now this is normal for the 749 since I have owned it - around 30 miles per gallon - which always seemed poor for such a little engine, but I always accepted it. But compared to these two older, bigger displacement, carburated bikes, should I not be getting at least the same gas mileage??? If not what should I be looking at to make improvements?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Depends on how hard you ride it. The testastretta's are "performance" based engines, unlike the air-cooled 900's, so it will gobble more fuel no matter what you do. It's a combination of gearing (X speed putting you at Y RPM's) and torque of which the 900's are very good at producing. So over the course of a quick jaunt of spirited riding, you may see some substantial differences. I bet out on the highway cruising in 6th gear, you'll get better milage then your buddies due to the gearing of the 749.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, "Tuned," for the input. I guess I will never see high fuel economy since the super slabs are something to be avoided. I was just concerned that I had something way out of adjustment since we all rode the same trip at more or less the same speed. I take it you are saying no.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Nope, your bike is good to go! There is no way any fueling issue would still allow you to get 30mpg, thats actually not god awful for a spirited ride.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts