Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my older 996, I painted the OEM black mirrors yellow to match my bike, and it really looked hot. When the triple nine’s came out, I was excited to see Ducati had taken that extra step and painted the mirrors to match the bikes color scheme. With that in mind, I don’t know why Ducati chose to keep the mirrors on the 1098 black and not match them to the body color? I know some of you will chime in with it helps break up the lines of the bike, or some other design point of view theory, but in my opinion, I’m not digging the black mirrors. When I get my 1098 in, one of the very first mods will be to color match the mirrors! I loved them on my 996, they looked great on my 999, and even better on my F4S. Anyone else feel the same way? Another alternative, which I’m sure will be available in due time, is a set of carbon fiber mirrors. I also would like to see the black plastic section between the tail and tank in carbon fiber. That would look trick! Last but not least, while I’m venting – I’m happy to see Ducati revert back to the traditional round gas cap!!! I hated that vagina looking thing they called a gas cap on my triple nine!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had painted mirrors on my 998 and was going the same way with the 1098, I think it makes them stand out a lot less.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey iang, that pic looks awesome! I hadn´t seen the 1098 in Xerox colors. Can you pm the pic to me or post it at a higher resolution and maybe even from different angles? Thanks.

·
Registered
152 Posts
thekid said:
mirrors... we don't need no stinkin' mirrors.

(or turn signals for that matter)
:flamethro MIRRORS !!!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
VB 777 said:
How would you actually going about paiting them . It looks quite good painted
the mirrors are textured so after removal and masking off the L.E.D. turn signal you would need to "load" them with a good primer/sealer. After sealing you'll want to hand sand them with 320 grit. You will probably have to prime them again if you don't get all the pits or texture filled in with the first coat of primer. Do your final sand with 500 or even 1000 grit if your anal about it. Base coat your red then clear coat. Or you could just rattle can them if you don't care about them looking like $hit.

·
Registered
134 Posts
thekid said:
mirrors... we don't need no stinkin' mirrors.

(or turn signals for that matter)
i would like to see a good looking set of mirror eliminator covers made...as for the rear, I deleted the rear licence plate bracket and turn signal. it should not be to long before the aftermarket world comes out with a way to incorporate the rear turn signal into the brake light.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks dude, I think doing it to the level ( and the quaility I want) may be out of my range of capabilities and not worth the risk my new toy. May have to practice on cheapies and see what it looks like. How did you go about matching the paint ?. As a body repair newbie - does the filler/clear coat impact the final color

·
Registered
19 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the black piece between the tank and tail is or will be available in C/F. I know I've seen a picture of this, I'll see if I can dig it up. Anybody else seen this?

·
Registered
166 Posts
ten98invt said:
If I'm not mistaken, the black piece between the tank and tail is or will be available in C/F. I know I've seen a picture of this, I'll see if I can dig it up. Anybody else seen this?
Shift-tech has it listed on their site as "coming soon".

·
Registered
305 Posts
I just fitted the Ducati Performance Carbon part (the underseat carbon panels) and fitted a dark tinted screen (you can't identify the tacky plastic dial cover now) I commissioned a mold for the screen and had 10 dark and 10 light tints stamped out.

Looks good, will post pics later in my gallery.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My mirrors are current at the local paint shop being painted. He has informed me that the clear cover comes off easily but I guess you really have to be careful with the mirror part due to 'spring' loaded piece that can crack the mirror when trying to remove it (he is just masking the mirror piece in place and painting the rest) . I will post pictures whe I get them later next week.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
vikingdrvr said:
Shift-tech has it listed on their site as "coming soon".
I've had a set on order since January. My dealers says they should arrive May 15th.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I got them apart. Thanks. Yes the spring cracked the c clip and the mirror. This is useless design and a piece of [email protected]#t!!!. I'm going to call DNA tomorror about this and let them know I'm dissatisified with this bike. Not because of the mirrow but because every bolt I've taken off this bike is almost half the torque rating!! :mad: :mad: between that and the stalling, I feel like I have a death trap! :lightning

1 - 20 of 27 Posts