Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
2,954 Posts
I just saw that posted on FB! I can't believe that, after all the money they've spent there! It's a first class facility, and we surely don't have enough of those! BOOOOO!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I was at laguna seca this past Monday and the track day organization said there's a lot of people trying to shut down that track as well, maybe not for professional racing but at least for track days!
Sucks

·
Administrator
2,954 Posts
John Ulrich replied to a post I made on FB about it, pointing out that the family member who loved racing died, and the rest of the family wasn't willing to carry the losses. What I fail to understand is how such a first-rate facility; that has hosted so many series, large and small; couldn't make a profit?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Yea, I don't get it either. I doubt they'll tear it up though. Feels like they just built the damn thing!

·
Administrator
2,954 Posts
Yeah...I'm hoping someone with some money and appreciation for first class racing facilities will step up. Sounds like it has George Barber written all over it to me! :D

Though there is talk that the adjacent 900 acres is being considered as a site for a new prison....not my first choice for a track neighbor. :p

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Saw that earlier today as well...sad thing...it was on my bucket list for tracks to go to :(

Neil, I don't get the deal with the financials either. Apparently owning a race track nowadays is not a profitable business. I don't understand that considering the amount of money it takes to rent a track even for 1 day. I also don't get how some tracks are closing down (Texas World Speedway, now Miller, and it's possible that in the next few months Heartland Park Topeka will close too) but yet in the last couple of years they've built COTA, NCM, and I've seen plans for a new track somewhere else (can't remember where, but I think it was in Colorado), and other tracks are investing money into repaving. How is it that some have all this money and others are constantly losing it??

·
Registered
120 Posts
Crap... thinking about driving out in July just to do a trackday... may need to solidify those plans a little sooner and get this park in before it closes!

·
Administrator
2,954 Posts
Saw that earlier today as well...sad thing...it was on my bucket list for tracks to go to :(

Neil, I don't get the deal with the financials either. Apparently owning a race track nowadays is not a profitable business. I don't understand that considering the amount of money it takes to rent a track even for 1 day. I also don't get how some tracks are closing down (Texas World Speedway, now Miller, and it's possible that in the next few months Heartland Park Topeka will close too) but yet in the last couple of years they've built COTA, NCM, and I've seen plans for a new track somewhere else (can't remember where, but I think it was in Colorado), and other tracks are investing money into repaving. How is it that some have all this money and others are constantly losing it??
Well, Heartland Park is more a political and public opinion issue. Much the same as TWS, which will be replaced with development. In both cases, someone felt that more money could be made through the development path, so the decisions to close have been pushed through.

Then there's places like NYST, that were approved and opened, and then challenged. They couldn't hold races for a while, while they re-wrote their charter to suit the challenges. Nearly the same thing happened with Jennings.

All that said, though Miller was/is one of the more remote tracks in the US, it's still close enough to a major city to make money....I think it's the same distance from Atlanta Airport to Road Atlanta as the distance from SLC to Miller. And even though Road Atlanta lost the GNFs to Barber....they're absolutely not in distress that I can tell. Neither is Barber. And Talladega got sold this year to new owners...they obviously thought there's still money to be made there. :confused:

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
So why is Miller closing?? I figured it's financial reasons...like with any other track that's closing or been closed. What surprises me the most about Miller is that, sure it's sort of in the middle of nowhere, but it's a world class track. It's FIM certified...wasn't that long ago that WSBK raced there. Tracks like TWS, or even HPT, I can sort of understand...they've deteriorated to the point that they're in a pretty shitty condition, and it drove away customers.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Larry Miller had a passion for motorsports and was not afraid to break even on the track financially. When he died and the rest of the family took over, pretty much all of the major events ceased participation at MMP for whatever reason and with very few major events coming, spectator attendance fell dramatically.

Basically after Larry passed, the rest of the Miller family have little interest in motorsports so the place brings in no money because no-one seems to be able to market the place for what it is and it doesn't bring in any money.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Larry Miller had a passion for motorsports and was not afraid to break even on the track financially. When he died and the rest of the family took over, pretty much all of the major events ceased participation at MMP for whatever reason and with very few major events coming, spectator attendance fell dramatically.

Basically after Larry passed, the rest of the Miller family have little interest in motorsports so the place brings in no money because no-one seems to be able to market the place for what it is and it doesn't bring in any money.
Sad to see that. I don't understand how as a kid of a guy who owns a racetrack, you don't get passionate about motorsports :confused: If my dad would've had a race track when I was growing up, I would've been there all the time.

If the family doesn't care about it, why not just sell it to someone that does? I'm sure that's easier said than that because finding someone with millions of $ in their pocket is not an easy thing to do.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hopefully there are plenty of people lining up to take over the lease after October. Let's hope LHM Group doesn't gut the place in the meantime...

·
Registered
81 Posts
If they would just market the place and make it a destination location I really think they could make some serious money. It truly is a world class track.

There are a lot of rumors that the state may move the prison out there which would make the track a hard sell to a potential investor. If the track does not get taken over, that will severally inhibit my track addiction which will suck.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, LHM Group hasn't even tried to make money on this track. I THINK it is because the heirs to the fortune see it as a waste of their hard earned inheritance.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And just because the future is shaky, I'm getting my racer's license on Friday. I can't wait to race Miller.....on an NC30. That should be a hoot. All gas, no brakes.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
And just because the future is shaky, I'm getting my racer's license on Friday. I can't wait to race Miller.....on an NC30. That should be a hoot. All gas, no brakes.
I thought you live in Italy :confused:...are you back in the US now?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts