Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are considering buying a Monster as a 2nd bike. We currently have a HD V-Rod Muscle and will keep it. Just want to mix things up a bit with a 2nd bike.

Although my wife has a license we usually ride 2-up, and will likely ride 2-up most often on the Monster as well, though I'm sure she'll take it out on her own occasionally and every now and then we'll take out both bikes together.

At any rate, we'd like to know if anyone can offer feedback on whether or not anything less than a Monster 1200 has 'good' power for 2-up riding. I'm sure any Monster is more than adequate but we're coming from a bike with 125 hp and almost 90 ft lb of torque, so we don't want to feel like our 2nd bike is under powered by comparison.

Obviously I can read a spec sheet for the Monsters and compare to what we currently ride, but I'd love some feedback from anyone who rides their Monster 2-up.

We'd love it if the 796 was 'good enough' for us because the 1200 gets awful insurance rates where we live, but we'll consider anything. We'll likely buy new.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
542 Posts
796 is more than enough. That's what I have and it's got plenty of torque for 2 up riding. These don't like being ridden at less than about 2500rpm, especially with another person on it. Might I also suggest getting the DP comfort seat for riding 2 up, it adds maybe an inch to the seat height but holy crap it's worth the sacrifice and spending the money on it, about 250 new and less used. Just a few things to think about.

Sent from my iPad using Ducati.org Forum

·
Registered
542 Posts
Yea. Stands for ducati performance comfort seat. It's just thicker padding and it's more comfortable

·
Registered
329 Posts
Awful insurance rates? The monster 1100 I used to have had better insurance rates than my 848 superbike. They aren't considered super sport bikes last I knew. I I know litre bike supersports have bad insurance rates, but I thought the monster was on a less expensive class.

·
Registered
542 Posts
It is for me. Geico classifies it as a cruiser, not complaining about that insurance break at 23 lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have public insurance so we can't shop around, and for motorcycles they are unbelievably high, especially for sport bikes which is for some reason where the Monster's slot in. With my perfect driving record and literally not one traffic ticket in almost 25 years of driving I get the maximum 33% discount and even at that it costs $2200 a year to insure a Monster 1200. It's about $1800 for the 796 or 696 because they're below 1000cc's. Still not great by any means, but better than $2200.

·
Registered
329 Posts
We have public insurance so we can't shop around, and for motorcycles they are unbelievably high, especially for sport bikes which is for some reason where the Monster's slot in. With my perfect driving record and literally not one traffic ticket in almost 25 years of driving I get the maximum 33% discount and even at that it costs $2200 a year to insure a Monster 1200. It's about $1800 for the 796 or 696 because they're below 1000cc's. Still not great by any means, but better than $2200.
Oh are you not in the U.S.?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm in Canada. Some of our provinces have private insurance but sadly mine (Manitoba) has public. Rates for cars aren't bad, but they pretty much just hate motorcycles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm in California, have the 1200-S. Good driving record with an average insurance policy, 49 years old and pay about 650.00 / year ( 1000.00 deductibles ).
Your rate sounds way expensive. Can US companies cover a bike in Canada??

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
At any rate, we'd like to know if anyone can offer feedback on whether or not anything less than a Monster 1200 has 'good' power for 2-up riding. I'm sure any Monster is more than adequate but we're coming from a bike with 125 hp and almost 90 ft lb of torque, so we don't want to feel like our 2nd bike is under powered by comparison.
Your HD weighs 673lbs... the 1200 monster weighs 461lbs.
Your HD makes 122BHP... the 1200 monster makes 135BHP
Both make 87ftlbs of torque....

And Ducati builds a bike that can actually go through a corner... and stop... etc...

What is there to question? I am willing to bet that HD sits quite a bit once the Ducati comes home...

·
Registered
174 Posts
You didn't mention how many miles you are thinking about riding on average. Are you more concerned with comfort or power?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sorry, just saw that you were concerned about power but you need to consider comfort as well. My husband and I rented a Vrod a while back and it had plenty of power but was the most uncomfortable 2 up bike I've ever been on. I seriously was ready to cry by the time we were done and I think we only did about 200 miles.

My husband has an S4RS and I've ridden on the back a couple times but only for short periods. It was ok but I don't think I'd do a long trip that way but I'm just not a good passenger anymore either.

Have you considered a Diavel? That might be a better 2 up bike but then again, I've only ridden that solo so no first hand experience.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I love my Monster but I could not imagine riding with a passenger for more than 10 or 15 minutes. My groin was pressed so hard against the tank every time she moved a little and/or I braked, I wanted to cry.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
You may want to consider a Multistrada if you're looking for a Ducati to ride 2-up. I usually don't like 2-up anyway, but I think the MS is the only Duc I'd even consider taking a passenger around on.

I also used to own a Harley... performance-wise, you're going to be amazed at what the Duc lets you do that a Harley won't. Things to look out for:

1) The Duc will spin up WAY faster, and things happen fast at 7000+ rpm. So no "gunning the throttle to make noise" when you're moving.
2) Forget about the rear brake. On the HD it's about 30% of your stopping power; on the Duc it's more like 5-10%.
3) The Duc will feel twitchy compared to the stability that massive rake you're used to gives. Keep your hands on the bars at all times. In corners it will shine though.
4) It's going to feel feather-light, but the weight will be higher than what you're used to... so beware of slow speed maneuvering and get your butt off the seat to counterbalance. The nice thing here is your feet won't be way the hell out in front of you anymore.

Good luck, ride safe, and have fun.:conveyer:

Reactions: Mary#17 and zodom

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with KevMonster696. I take my wife for rides but it's just painful most of the time. The seat design is horrible and every little bump you hit your passenger it sliding forward and pushing you into the tank.

I'm hoping to get a Sargeant seat next year which does not have the forward slope. I have the DP Comfort seat and it's 100x better than the stock seat but still not great.

I would look at a different model for mostly 2 up riding if it was me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got an 1100evo with Sargent seat and also bought the Ducati OEM passenger grab rails, and make my pillion use that and not me for stability. Works fine for 2 up, but would not do a true distance ride with it. But a 2 hr or less weekend joy ride is fine for both.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I took two passengers on my 2012 Monster 1100 evo. They first both rode on the back of a triumph daytona (straight sportsbike). I had the DP comfort seat and they both stated the comfort was incredible. The seat felt great and so did the bumps etc. They were very impressed with the monster.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts