Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi I have a 1000 monster frame that is bent by about 3 to 5 mm ive been told to go to aldertons at smithfeild but I have striped the frame bare will I have to put stuff back on and if so can I put a 620 motor in because my 1000motor is cracked through both mounting holes please help

cavie

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
This is a sad tale.

I have spent a lifetime around frame straightening and bike crash repairs, and I have to say - if you have cracked two engine mounts, the frame might not even be worth repairing.

I mean, if the engine is rooted, and the frame is that far out - this bike is a write-off two times over. You may not even be able to get an engine to bolt in there without heating and straightening first.

It would need to be a very valuable model to justify this extent of work. Begs the question why it wasn't a statutory write-off? More valuable models get written off for much less.

If it IS a stat. write-off, and unable to ever be registered, it really isn't worth doing. It will cost too much to get right, for a machine that can't be registered..

Sorry, but you need to consider this. After a veritable lifetime of repairing crashed motorbikes - mainly Ducati, in Australia - I can tell you this project needs some detailed cost analysis before committing.

The new write-off laws (pitched towards reducing the illicit vehicle stealing/re-birthing industry) make crash repairs less economically viable now.

I have a stat. write-off 1198 here which I got very cheaply, and which I had most of the major parts to repair (primarily swing-arm and rear sub-frame - it was hit from behind).

I have got other parts quite cheaply thanks to this forum, I have had repairs done for 'trade' price, I do all my own mechanical work, know all the right people, and you know what?

Even though the bike will end up immaculate, and has only 2,000 kms on it, it has been barely worth doing. I will only get my money back, and little besides. They don't hold their value even without being crashed.

Sorry to be negative, but you may be 'throwing good money after bad' with this project.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts