Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you repeat your origional purchase...???

Any highlights of ownership you'd like to share..??

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
No I wouldn't own another Monster. I owned one for 3yrs and put a total of 3500K on it. It just didn't thrill me like the 848 does. In the same amount of time I put 35,000K on my 848.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yep. Inane is what I think of mine. S4RS Tricolore with full Termignoni and DP chip.

The new regulator/rectifier is waiting for me at the post office - will be picking it up on Thursday.

Summer is here and it is looking good. Reminds me - I must get the 93 900SS out put some electricity back in the battery. Before that regulator gets toasted (but I already have a spare).

Highlights - I've been pushing twice. Once ran out of petrol when I let it get too close and the second time when I ran out of electricity. But it does look and sound awfully nice.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I got a 696 as my first bike. Put over 15k miles in less than two years and never came close to dropping it even though everyone said I would drop my first bike. I did everything from commute to riding the twisties to overnight trips with 500+ miles in a day. I had a need for speed so I traded it in for the 848 evo and started my track addiction. There are many things I miss about the monster like WOT all the time, light weight, easy in traffic, great for commuting, standard riding position, air cooled, etc. That being said I bought the monster to learn on and it was perfect for that. Now every time I come back from the track I tell myself that I will turn my evo into a track only bike and get another monster. I have been drooling over the S4RS for a very long time and even though it isn't air cooled it will most likely be my next addition. I am eager to throw a leg over the 1200S in the spring to see what that's all about but doubt I would spend more money on a monster than I did on the evo. And after learning about the grom I a seriously thinking about picking one up for scooting around town.

Reactions: Steve796

·
Registered
995 Posts
I kind of did. I have a 2008 (or so) S4R-S which I like a lot and just added a monster 821. The 1098S is a great bike but I wouldn't use it just to go to work or even for a shortish ride. I use one of the monsters.

Pjk

·
Registered
85 Posts
My 696 is my first bike, I commute to work on it. At 2.5 years old, it has 15,xxx miles on it. It would have more but I switch off commuting duties with a Can Am Spyder RT when I have to carry more than a backpack's worth of stuff to work, or it's really cold. If I ever get around to getting saddle bags and a tail bag, it will see more commuting duties. It's comfortable enough for what I'm doing, I've done 200 mile runs on it. It sucks in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I had a 796. I thought at the time that I loved it but after a few years I realized I just didn't ride it that much compared to my other bikes, so I sold it for something else.
So I wouldn't get the same one again, but I think I'd really enjoy a new Monster 821.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Monster question

Hi guys.
Go out and try a 1200-S. I've ridden for over 20 years and recently ( a year ago ) purchased my 1200-S. I LOVE it. I'm not a young guy anymore ( almost 50 ) and this bike handles terrifically, with an upright riding position, TONS of power, and my favorite aspect is handlebars at precisely the right spot for lane splitting thru clogged California traffic.
I've got almost 7K miles in 1 year and that's only because I have a nice car that deserves attention as well.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Love the monster series...

I've only ridden an S4R....

Got a friend with 240,000 miles on his M900...

I'd love either an 1100evo S or a new 1200S.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
The air cooled monsters aren't very powerful and the base models aren't well equipped. Even the S4 and S4R's still feel like they're lacking in the suspension/breaking department compared to the superbikes. The S4RS is really the only older monster that fits the bill completely.

I haven't yet ridden the 1200, it's too new... but it looks pretty killer.

Do the guys on the
Superleggeras look down on us?
They don't know what they're missing! LOL :D

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have an s2r1000. I get pure glee out of riding that. With a little bit of work and weight reduction, it was faster then the 848 evo I had. Plus it is just a blast to ride!!!!
I did carbon wheels, and what an amazing difference that made! I've taken it on several tracks as well

1 - 13 of 13 Posts