Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a 2007 695.

I did over fill the gas tank. I then got about 2 miles down the road before it sputtered to a stop.

Now it will start up after sitting for a few hours but will quit after just idling for about 2 minutes. Then it will not start again until it sits for hours.

There was the whooshing sound when I opened the tank, but it does not start any better with the tank open.

I disconnected the charcoal canister and covered the throttle body inlets with rubber vacuum caps. The tube that used to run to the canister is unobstructed. Same thing: two minutes of running when cold, then it sputters, stalls and won't restart.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Hey Doc! Welcome to the forums!

Riddle me this… does the fuel pump make noise when you turn on the ignition?

You've done pretty much everything I would have done. Maybe it's simply a coincidence?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was told by the dealer to add "One Cap full" of an Additive to Every tank of fuel....to absorb water and/or ethanol. I believe that was his reasoning....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome.

When I first turn on the ignition, there is a faint clicking sound for a few seconds, then silence.

Today it won't start at all, not even the two minutes that it would run the last few times I've tried it. The battery is strong, I keep it on a tender, so that's not the issue either.

I'm really baffled.

Hey Doc! Welcome to the forums!

Riddle me this… does the fuel pump make noise when you turn on the ignition?

You've done pretty much everything I would have done. Maybe it's simply a coincidence?

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
I'd say the fuel pump is shot. The pumps are cooled by fuel so as the tank gets low towards the pump, it can heat up. They recommend filling up your tank at 1/4 to keep the pump cooled but most people don't as the tank on a motorcycle is small enough without having to stop at 1/4 to fill up.

When you turn on the key it should hummmm for a few seconds as the injectors pressurize. It should be a strong hummm. What's the mileage on the bike??

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Probably a dumb question, but check your kill switch and kickstand.

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Probably a dumb question, but check your kill switch and kickstand.
Actually that's a good idea. I had some odd symptoms a couple yrs back that caused me to believe I was having pump problems. Was my side stand switch not making proper contact. Bypassed it and it cleared right up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It has just under 7000 miles.

It's not either the kill switch or the kickstand switch.

It could be the fuel pump is shot, though that would be a funny coincidence. Draining and removing the tank, then replacing pump, filter, etc. is a job I don't much want to do, but that might be the next step. However, I really don't want to do that before being convinced that it's necessary.

I'd say the fuel pump is shot. The pumps are cooled by fuel so as the tank gets low towards the pump, it can heat up. They recommend filling up your tank at 1/4 to keep the pump cooled but most people don't as the tank on a motorcycle is small enough without having to stop at 1/4 to fill up.

When you turn on the key it should hummmm for a few seconds as the injectors pressurize. It should be a strong hummm. What's the mileage on the bike??

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I was tinkering with my bike a few years ago fitting engine case protection and after I buttoned it all back up it wouldn't start. I thought the battery was dead and tried bump starting it and all sorts of other things like checking neutral, clutch in, kickstand up, etc. Two hours later I realized one of my bonehead coworkers hit the kill switch and never told me. I never use the kill switch so it was the last thing I would ever check. So now whenever I hear someones bike isn't starting that and the kickstand are the first thing I check. :blind:

·
Registered
22 Posts
If battery and fuel pump are in good condition, it is time to check the connection and rectifier. I have had issues could not turn the bike on after seeing a disconnected line to the fuel pump. It was pita coz I had to drain the tank and reattached the line to the pump. On the other occasion, my rectifier went bad. I had to replace it to make the bike run.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've probed the wires coming out of the tank and they are not broken.

It cranks fine.

I tried cranking with the gas tank open to see if the gas was roiled by the operating fuel pump. It did have a little motion, but maybe just because of vibration. I don't know just how much motion I should see there.

My new theory is that it is the fuel pump. It burned out because it was overloaded, trying to pump against the excess pressure of the overflow line being clogged. Unfortunately I do not know how to test this without a lot of disassembly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No, it is still down.

Suppose the fuel pump is burned out. After it sits for a long time, could enough fuel seep through to allow it to start and run for a minute or two?

If that is the way they work, that could explain what I am seeing.

You find out what the problem was?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After it sits for a day or two, it fires right up. It then sputters and dies after running for two minutes. Then I can repeat the cycle, letting it sit for another day.

Make a video and let us see, what it is you are seeing and or hearing.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Ok so when you start it up, if you can get it to fire a second or third time consecutively, try this:
Fire it up, turn the key off, see if it will start back up when you try to turn the key again

Fire it up, turn the kill switch off, then back on and try to fire again

That can eliminate ignition issues (like the common faulty antenna ring)

Other things to check- Neutral safety switch

Did you have it on a battery tender?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts