Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,still wont start but turns over;

The freakin thing developped another potential problem: delay when pushing the starter button.

I have yet to check the insides of the switch cluster but something is afoot.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its turns over normally,you can hear some put-put out the cans like its about to start but it doesn't.

Got new plugs coming then if it doesn't work I`ll re-test the coils and injectors....dman thing is ruining my summer...again.

And no,no sounds at all,just push the button and nothing happened for half a second or so; today it worked kinda ok but not instant like it supposed to. New battery btw.Got a spare solenoid if need be...starting to have a whole collection of spares for the heap of metal

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All the system is brand new; I just finished re-checking stuff and I got spark on both and fuel on both...but somehow the front plug is black while the back one is just wet...I even electrocuted myself a bit testing the vertical cylinder coil (the one with the wet plug); if doesn't come to a conclusion fast I`ll be in for a new starter clutch as well

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes it does and all relays are new ..the priming sound is loud and clear;

Might be worth a shot to mention that when it does start it runs rough and you have to sliiiightly keep pressure on the throttle tube to keep it idling and if I can hold it there and make it reach op temp (40C) it then slowly dies like you emptied the bowls on a carbureted bike

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It appears that even if I remove the vertical plug,insert it in the coil,ground it and get a spark that if I put it back in the head it wont spark the mixture; just changed the plugs, managed to start the engine for a minute (running rough--1 cyl) checked the plugs after and I could see some colors on the front but just raw fuel on the rear

jaywahr, wish it`d be that easy,TPS is new and is within specs and right on the money for adjustment
The bike ran when I got it back from the shop (for a couple days) but got progressively worst, smelled a lot like fuel-gagging lvl smell- and needed the throttle to be twisted to start; I since changed the battery,the rectifier,coils,whole throttle plate and components, crank sensor (that one threw error codes) plugs, fuel pump assembly

something cuts the power to the vertical plug

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MBP did the rings heads valves and belts; what cracks my brains is the fact that I get spark with the plug out of the engine but it wont ignite the mixture once back in; even if timing is off (the bike ran for a couple days) there is fuel in the head,wouldnt an off spark at least produce a backfire

I'm starting to think my ECU is fooked (its a full race DP for full termis); it was sent to someone in the USA to get remapped

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One test I will do this weekend is hookup all the crap removed and try the std ecu just to rule out that potential part of the problem (when I hook up the std ecu I got a yellow triangle and nothing works)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Tried the std ecu just now with servo and exhaust sniffer hooked-up,threw me a nice can 38 code...those components have 0km on them...nice,got nothing else to try but a jerrycan of gasoline and a match

Hooked the race ecu back on,tried a 3rd rectifier, uhhooked the servo and sniffer,no can 38,engine turns over but wont fire as usual

The bike was at MBP for over a month,there is no way ima send it back there...i`m not a cow you can milk forever

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Then why doesnt it throw it with the race ecu

I was thinking,do I have to pair the key with the original ecu again? Should I try to route an additional ground from the ecu to the frame

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
well,ground is good...no problems there; tried to hook-up the std ecu again, it wont take the key code (well,according to the book it does,flashes 4 times but ! light stays lit and when you cycle the key, it goes on a 30 seconds-or so- cycle--I guess asking for the proper key--), diag light (yellow "!") stays lit and can 38 remains; cant do anything via my centurion as its married to the DP ecu

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I ordered a new wiring harness...this one has stiff wires all over it; read elsewhere that this could be the problem (some can 38.0 could only be resolved with a new harness)

oh well,see ya`ll in september for an addition to this ordeal...stay tuned.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Centurion is a VDST

No add-ons active; I have a scorpio alarm and a harness for a Veypor VR2 (installed after the problems though)

Crank sensor is brand new (It threw a code a few weeks ago,replaced it but same problem persist)

Prior acting-up of the bike to be honest scales up several years; while brand new out the dealer it would sporadically refuse to rev past 8k rpms, brought to dealer,no codes...refused to investigate further--that is how Monette Sports are professional-- (my guess it was the same problem I'm having now,just very intermittent) had a whole summer where it just would start well,run a bit rough and had no power (still thinking its related) but would eventually clear up and run as it was supposed to; it could replicate that problem when it was raining but not all the time

So yeah,hopeing its a harness problem from the start and changing it will give my bike back to me

Recap: I very much think this problem is the same from 2007 that just sporadically got worse and worse`; I basically changed everything in the electronic dept bar the harness and the dash through the years; when results ended up positive I think it was just sheer luck because I moved the harness in a good position

edit: I think the crank sensor code was no a real one,had that in the past, didnt changed it and it went away (got a few threads around here about my problems throughout the years)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
Yeah...waiting on my harness that is stuck at customs I decided to inspect about everything and while at it,maybe install a carbon belt cover that I had laying around....what I found is a feast for your eyes

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I provided the mechanic with new belts but judging by the transfered metal particles on the intact horizontal one I have doubts this was performed; Was the head damaged,did the belt jumped a tooth,I have no idea how to check the timing...its now clear that my summer is ruined.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
its shredded in half...I can slide it on and off easily,badly tighten is my guess I will try to find a way to check if the timing was disturbed, I know there is something somewhere with dimples and notches that align to check that,just got to find the thread

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
The bike can start sometimes and idle but again,the main problem is the mixture in the vertical cylinder doesnt fire but I understand...the mechanic who did the belts is at the racetrack for the next 2 weeks (probably doing the rounds) But I would like to know if I can assess the problem visually beforehand, pulley marks,dots,etc

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
The bike is halfway stripped, waiting on the harness; airbox removed and all. I took the opportunity to change the throttle cables (the return cable was defective,came apart at the adjuster and kept the throttle opened,good thing this occured while its off duty,it got stuck while I reinstalled the airbox a couple weeks ago!) among all sorts of deep/detailed maintenance a 10 yrs old bike requires...I tell you that,when its back on the road that thing will be ready to rock.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts