Ducati.org forum banner
61 - 80 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 · (Edited)
Oh yeah,contacted my mechanic about my idle problem, basically its running well on idle on start-ups but as it gets to op range, it gradually rises and rises... I changed the TBs whole assembly last year and the air screws were 3.5 turns out on the front and about 1 turn out on the rear, apparently for here they need to be totally closed off.

This thing will run perfectly in a couple weeks. yay.

SO:

-new main harness
-new battery
-new coils
-new rectifier
-new stator
-new sprague
-new air filter
-new spark plugs
-new rings ( !! )
-new valves
-new belts
-new tires
-new brake pads
-new clutch
-new seals, bushings,gaskets,etc
-new exhaust packings
-flashed ecu
-new fuel filter
-new relays and other stuff that goes click
-some new sensors

Can I ride now?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
OK,closed the engine off, realised I forgot to change the starter...oh well.

Battery installed, push button....whiiiirrrr.. Bad sprague,just my luck.

Reopen engine, remove bad sprague, use its spring on the other that had a bad spring and all is well.

Took the time to change the starter while at it this time and jackpot, turning the shaft gives very notchy feedback. Out with the old in with the new.

Hint: 3 retaining bolts inside the engine, possible to remove without taking out the gears... 1 bolt out + ground.

Easy peasy that duc a sleazy.

Will attempt to start tomorrow, gotta close the engine and tie some loose ends.

·
Registered
464 Posts
OK,closed the engine off, realised I forgot to change the starter...oh well.

Battery installed, push button....whiiiirrrr.. Bad sprague,just my luck.

Reopen engine, remove bad sprague, use its spring on the other that had a bad spring and all is well.

Took the time to change the starter while at it this time and jackpot, turning the shaft gives very notchy feedback. Out with the old in with the new.

Hint: 3 retaining bolts inside the engine, possible to remove without taking out the gears... 1 bolt out + ground.

Easy peasy that duc a sleazy.

Will attempt to start tomorrow, gotta close the engine and tie some loose ends.
Interesting thread, I'm following along...

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Success! Started 1st tug, smooth fast idle at 1400 then dropped to 1300-1350 all the way to 40C, no bug, hesitations or weird noises.

Is that thing finally ready for a season?

Nah,fork seals (both) decided to leak...ohlins and inactivity...

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Yeah, rode it barely 10 times strictly to work and sure enough, died on me....fuel pump dead.

EVERYTHING brakes on that thing.

I had spares, so all is well 1 day later.

Just thought I'd update, when it rains it pours and all that.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Well, fuel pump works good, went back home and a couple km from my house I smelled burning.

Even with a new battery, a new rectifier and a new stator, it burnt the plug.

That bike hates me.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Another uneventful week passed, so far so good. I inspected the whole wires thing and nothing stands out, no melting or discoloration; that hardwiring thing seems to be the cure. Bike charges at a steady 14.0V all the time.

I for once in a couple years dont forsee any expenditure besides fuel for that bike.

Crossing fingers.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
I checked the diodes on my previous 4 rectifiers and they all checked out; seems to all been plagued with loose connectors then.

My old stator also checks out but was badly heated anyways

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Well,went for a long ride today and what do you know...broke down in the middle of nowhere.

This time might be my fault though, I will open the engine tomorrow and report.

But this is tiresome at this point.

Thanks CAA.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Yeah, I dont read those :)

Opened the engine cover left side and no apparent reasons visible, loud grinding noise when I try to start the engine; I did change the starter and I wonder if a defect from it could have started while the engine was running and affected it to the point of stalling?

Edit: when I came to a stop, there was some smoke coming from down below through the triples area...I suspect that starter

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 · (Edited)
Just changed the starter and its doing the same grinding noise but wants to start; problem lies in the clutch area (not saying its the clutch, just the area) nothing visible grinding so far so it must be something internal :/

Any ideas?

Edit: I removed the clutch pack and all is well in there; all plates brand new, drum spins basket doesnt budge

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
I plan on removing the whole basket assembly and inspect the hub cushdrive, I#m running out of hints here, the sound seems to be coming from outside the engine but somehow impact the timing idler gear as its movement is choppy when you look at it while starting the engine ever so briefly

I will post a vid of the noise tomorrow if I can, for entertainment purpose, of course

61 - 80 of 226 Posts