Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a great opportunity to spend sometime with my friends who work with MotoAmerica, one as the race director and the other as the technical director. The first big thing everyone needs to realize is, MotoAmerica has no money. They aren't paying anyone for their hard and dedicated work. They forced riders to pay for racing way in advance, so they could pay for the venue's. Other then that money, MotoAmerica is full of volunteer's… even club racing staff are paid. Hopefully that will change as the series goes on, but I can't imagine quitting my job and working for free in hopes of money down the road.

As everyone knows, TV deal's are everything. Without broadcast, sponsors won't have any desire to come on board and even the playing field. With Yamaha factory supporting Graves and Suzuki factory supporting Yosh, it's hard for any teams to come up with the financing necessary to be competitive. People blame the riders, but in reality there is a grid full of very capable riders, most of whom are simply unable to be competitive. MotoAmerica's 2015 TV deal is to broadcast a 1hr highlight reel of the races one week after the event. They're not allowed to live stream because their deal with CBS Sports Net, prohibits it. So currently, they pretty much have no TV deal. Again, no TV deal, no sponsors… no sponsors, no riders!

The first race of the season saw 11 entries in the Superbike class and 18 entries in the supersport class, with no "KTM RC Cup" race as promised (most likely due to schedule issue). As a comparison, the lap times for the superbikes were right in-line with the Moto2 class of MotoGP. In fact, only the leader of Superbike race 2, went any faster then the Moto2 class over one lap. Unfortunately the supersport race was done on a damp track, so lap times are inconclusive.

Now, it's early days and I get that. However, there is no contingency for racers to come race and no incentive for sponsors due to lack of TV. These are things you deal with before even announcing the series publicly. Even more frustrating is the lack of attendance on the grid, what an abysmal showing, worse then DMG. So far, the new series is off to a poor start and it can only get better so fingers crossed!

[/rant]

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
... but I can't imagine quitting my job and working for free in hopes of money down the road.
What job? :confused:

Maybe you should volunteer...might as well do something. It'd be fun for you and fun for us because it'd keep you off the forum more :stickpoke

·
Administrator
2,954 Posts
Another "glass half empty" POV. When I consider what we'd have if not for MotoAmerica....which is NOTHING...I'm ecstatic about what we have now. They're not just trying to re-build a series from the ground up....they're trying to rebuild a series from 50 feet underground, thanks to DMG! They got a comparatively late start; and they're not reluctant to say that they're not where they know they need to be yet.

Road Atlanta will be interesting next week...I'm planning to be there at least for Sunday. AMA/DMG hadn't been to Road A for quite a while...not at all. I'm just glad they're back.

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Yeah, kinda makes that little ol' Daytona 200 with sixty entries and a purse of $175,000.00 look like a low rent, no talent, club race......... hell CCS had more entries than that @ CMP last weekend.....:shrug: oh, and AHRMA had 100 entries for Friday practice @ NOLA, double that the the race entries on Sat. and Sun......just sayin......Folks wanna race motorcycles, lotsa Ducati on the grids!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Another "glass half empty" POV. When I consider what we'd have if not for MotoAmerica....which is NOTHING...I'm ecstatic about what we have now. They're not just trying to re-build a series from the ground up....they're trying to rebuild a series from 50 feet underground, thanks to DMG! They got a comparatively late start; and they're not reluctant to say that they're not where they know they need to be yet.

Road Atlanta will be interesting next week...I'm planning to be there at least for Sunday. AMA/DMG hadn't been to Road A for quite a while...not at all. I'm just glad they're back.

This right here. I don't think people realize how far behind they were, and trying to push a new season without enough time. This first year is going to be rough......really rough, but all we can do is be patient. You can bet this first round taught them a lot.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
hoping for some sort of American racing but the market is beyond tough, if you aren't with Yamaha Factory support your basically privateer and you might as well consider it a hobby and not a career.

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
hoping for some sort of American racing but the market is beyond tough, if you aren't with Yamaha Factory support your basically privateer and you might as well consider it a hobby and not a career.
This is true.. but as Wera posted, Road Atlanta numbers should be up...getting into the hot bed a motorcycle racing in the USA.... I am talking about competitors as well as spectators... it will be the spectator money that will make or break the effort.... as well as some tv/vendor revenue...

·
Administrator
2,954 Posts
It's gonna be really interesting to see how it goes at Road A, as their first stand-alone event. While they got dissed a bit (IMHO) by Dorna due to the MotoGP lead, they'll have a lot more control of the day from here on out. I still think it's a good thing that they paired with Dorna for Race Weekend 1, though.

Are you coming down, Bob? I'll buy the first two rounds!

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
I am on the cusp, as I just got off the phone with Frank Shockley who is trying to do a vendor booth for his stuff. Also kinda watching the weather, cuz, as you know, we are in a bad wet spell, but hopefully will break out by the weekend.... I have done Road Atlanta in the rain too many times in my life to want a repeat!!!!.... but maybe one of my boys is up for the trip....I will keep you posted. Thanks for the hospitality!!!

Reactions: WERA689

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sure Road Atlanta will have a bigger grid, that's absolutely guaranteed. Anything in the south east will see more riders because that's the hot-bed of Roadracing in this country. Unfortunately that's part of the problem, if you have all the races in one place, there is no national series. If racers don't make the commitment to travel across the country with the circus, there is no national series. In that case, it's just like the WERA national series. Some people make the journey and most don't.

What makes any sport successful is the availability of viewers to watch it. Whether that means physically going to venue's or simply turning on the television, without viewership there is no success. DMG roadracing had a decent television deal, broadcasting races sometimes live or only a few hour tape delay on a national network (Speed) and even though we bitched and moaned about it, we watched our roadracing never the less. However, now the series has MUCH LESS exposure on a television network that's almost impossible to get on cable. Internet feeds won't help, as we still live in a world where people believe the television set is the home of entertainment and if something isn't broadcasted, they simply won't watch it.

Moto America should have invested in their own series before making it public. It's infuriating the guys who are behind the series, all of whom have money, refuse to put capitol into their investment. It's another DMG scenario, they're just kicking the bucket along so Yamaha has somewhere to demonstrate their superiority. I'm absolutely convinced that's the only reason it exists today and why they didn't put the project on hold until they had complete deals together.

·
Registered
'12 848evo, '13 Hypermotard SP, '94 CBR600f2 track bike, '06 CBR600rr track bike
909 Posts
I don't recall any ama races on tv last year. I'm looking forward to the VIR round next month, I'll give it a chance and some time to grow, it's pretty much a total rebuild of racing in the US

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't recall any ama races on tv last year. I'm looking forward to the VIR round next month, I'll give it a chance and some time to grow, it's pretty much a total rebuild of racing in the US
All I know is for years they had decent TV deals and we all watched the races.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, but what is this motoamerica you speak of??? What happened to AMA?
Where have you been?? :eek:

That's the new AMA. If you go to AMA's website, you'll notice road-racing is gone. They still have AMA flat track, motocross, supercross, etc, but no more road racing. That has changed over to MotoAmerica since Wayne Rainey and a few others took over it in the hopes of improving the situation and rebuilding road-racing in the US.

MotoAmerica's website has all that info and first round was this weekend at COTA. Though their website needs quite a bit of work...

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Yeah I Know I'm in the dark ages. As I stated in the other thread, I never put any effort into following professional moto racing consistently until this year. I have watched the GP races and the world superbike races this year though unfortunately via race replays. Thanks for bringing me up to speed.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Yeah I Know I'm in the dark ages. As I stated in the other thread, I never put any effort into following professional moto racing consistently until this year. I have watched the GP races and the world superbike races this year though unfortunately via race replays. Thanks for bringing me up to speed.
No worries, I'm relatively new to the sport as well. Been following international racing, as well as AMA, since 2011 only...though since I have the video passes, I've watched quite a few of the older races, mostly in MotoGP, as far back as the early 2000s.

Seems though like if you're a serious track day rider, or getting into club racing, being a fan of MotoGP and WSBK is pretty much a MUST! :D...just more stuff to talk about in the paddock in between sessions!

·
Registered
'12 848evo, '13 Hypermotard SP, '94 CBR600f2 track bike, '06 CBR600rr track bike
909 Posts
All I know is for years they had decent TV deals and we all watched the races.

Seems to me the TV coverage started to tank right after superbike turned in to 1000 superstock with slicks. I really hope this new organization makes it a good product.

Good luck Moto America

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gulp…

Did anyone else check the results for the superbike class at Road Atlanta? Only 9 entries and 6 finishers! At least there were 9 finishers in the superstock class out of 11 riders on the grid.

The Supersport classes had a bit of a normal sized grid, 17 riders and only a few DNF's… Same goes for the superstock 600 class, they had a good showing. That's the only bit of good news to come out of the weekend.

But after two races in two completely different parts of the country and we're still seeing very few people even attempting to race in the superbike class.

:sigh: I guess we wait for the next round! My question is, will they have a race with the two Yamaha's going at it, because if the attendance keeps getting lower, at this rate by the end of the year, it will just be those two guys left! :(

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Or maybe the series will go through some growing pains and gain some momentum through the year and build and improve.

Hopefully more support and sponsors come forward and the series brings possibilities...

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
The weather at Road Atlanta was only fit for ducks and fish....was terrible rain storms...felt bad for all concerned.....

Reactions: WERA689
1 - 20 of 70 Posts