Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I concur WERA689,

Kenny Roberts basically put America on the world of motorcycle racing map! I have great respect for Wayne Rainey too. Hopefully, this is the shot in the arm American motorcycle roadracing needs.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Much like the Suzuki / Mladin era , the U.S. was Suzuki's #1 market with tons of money from Suzuki going to Yoshimura and the Suzuki team. I hope with Rainey being such a Yamaha "devote'a" that the new AMA doesn't become a field for Yamaha sales.

·
Registered
'12 848evo, '13 Hypermotard SP, '94 CBR600f2 track bike, '06 CBR600rr track bike
911 Posts
I don't think many realize that the USGPs at Laguna in the early 90's were all financed by Roberts himself. He did what he had to do to be sure there was a GP in America.
I was going to mention that. That's the reason I have felt Laguna doesn't deserve a Moto GP race, I never felt Laguna did anything for it, it was Roberts, and now Red Bull .

·
Administrator
2,964 Posts
Well, they did add the T3-T5 section for GP. And they also re-did the areas around the Corkscrew. But I do get your point. And, if I understand correctly, it's more of a park than a full on commercial venture as a racetrack. I'm sure that also plays into their willingness, or not, to promote an event there.

·
Registered
'12 848evo, '13 Hypermotard SP, '94 CBR600f2 track bike, '06 CBR600rr track bike
911 Posts
Well, they did add the T3-T5 section for GP. And they also re-did the areas around the Corkscrew. But I do get your point. And, if I understand correctly, it's more of a park than a full on commercial venture as a racetrack. I'm sure that also plays into their willingness, or not, to promote an event there.

But wasn't that all paid for by Red Bull? Still a great track.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.