Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
2,954 Posts
One of the reasons I so revere Kenny Roberts is all that he did for the sport in America; much of which most don't even know about! May Rainey carry on the tradition!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Any change would be good and I believe Rainey is the guy to do it.

Never been able to follow AMA because of the different classes, points system, etc. Wish it was more like MotoGp or World SBK.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I concur WERA689,

Kenny Roberts basically put America on the world of motorcycle racing map! I have great respect for Wayne Rainey too. Hopefully, this is the shot in the arm American motorcycle roadracing needs.

·
Administrator
2,954 Posts
I don't think many realize that the USGPs at Laguna in the early 90's were all financed by Roberts himself. He did what he had to do to be sure there was a GP in America.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Much like the Suzuki / Mladin era , the U.S. was Suzuki's #1 market with tons of money from Suzuki going to Yoshimura and the Suzuki team. I hope with Rainey being such a Yamaha "devote'a" that the new AMA doesn't become a field for Yamaha sales.

·
Registered
'12 848evo, '13 Hypermotard SP, '94 CBR600f2 track bike, '06 CBR600rr track bike
909 Posts
I don't think many realize that the USGPs at Laguna in the early 90's were all financed by Roberts himself. He did what he had to do to be sure there was a GP in America.
I was going to mention that. That's the reason I have felt Laguna doesn't deserve a Moto GP race, I never felt Laguna did anything for it, it was Roberts, and now Red Bull .

·
Administrator
2,954 Posts
Well, they did add the T3-T5 section for GP. And they also re-did the areas around the Corkscrew. But I do get your point. And, if I understand correctly, it's more of a park than a full on commercial venture as a racetrack. I'm sure that also plays into their willingness, or not, to promote an event there.

·
Registered
'12 848evo, '13 Hypermotard SP, '94 CBR600f2 track bike, '06 CBR600rr track bike
909 Posts
Well, they did add the T3-T5 section for GP. And they also re-did the areas around the Corkscrew. But I do get your point. And, if I understand correctly, it's more of a park than a full on commercial venture as a racetrack. I'm sure that also plays into their willingness, or not, to promote an event there.

But wasn't that all paid for by Red Bull? Still a great track.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.