Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Motodynamic Fender Eliminator Kit - 2016 Monster 821

Just wanted to post up a quick install I did last night of the Motodynamic fender eliminator kit. Found here:
2015-2016 Monster 821 Fender Eliminator Kit

I had one of their kits on my 2012 R6 and liked how clean the installation was. On my 899 I have the NRC integrated turn signal and fender eliminator kit but really, wasn't all that impressed with both the installation and the quality of the overall build. Motodynamic's kits usually hover around $50 and the NRC was nearly $200.

I ordered on Monday and received my FEK the next day (they're local to me in El Monte, CA).

Stock tail section

From the rear

Parts included in the kit

This is just a shot of how well I found the parts to be machined. This part is a bracket that ultimately bolts up to the side of the license plate holder.

Finally, a few installed pics --

I'll need to find a cleaner way to tuck the wires behind the plate holder but overall I'm happy with how clean it looks and that I was able to use the old stock turn signals. The kit is extremely well machined and each part was methodically designed for the bike. Theres padding where parts meet with the bike's frame to avoid vibration and provide some protection. They also make an integrated turn signal but I'll be putting that in a bit later as it's a little more expensive at about $90. For now, the stock turn signals will do the job just fine. Honestly, the kit feels like something I would have paid $150+ for like the NRC. The NRC was held in place by a long bolt, a spacer and some double-sided tape and the undertail LED signals were not well formed to the body of the 899. Anyhow, I'm happy with how this turned out.

It was a little tricky to install at some points as the instructions weren't 100% clear, but they worked. Here's a link to the install instructions:
Monster 821 FEK Install Guide

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks great. Nice to see a simple / elegant / reasonably priced solution.

Looks like they're out of stock, but I signed up for in-stock notification. :)
Yeah, unfortunately they went out of stock as mine shipped out. They're pretty responsive and they have an active facebook account where you can communicate with them directly on lead time if you want.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Got mine a month ago or so and this is really well made and they thought about almost everything. Only thing that is a bit of an afterthought is that license plate light wiring. Otherwise, I would 100% recommend it, especially considering the price.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought the Motodynamics FEK as well. I was able to tuck everything in and bring the wire down to the plate light fairly discretely.

I chose to not put the passenger handles back on, and I've been left with 4 large spacers and bolts sticking down, which I can live with but find to be a bit ugly. Anyone think there would be an issue with finding some bolts that wouldn't need those spacers and replacing them to clean it up further?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought the Motodynamics FEK as well. I was able to tuck everything in and bring the wire down to the plate light fairly discretely.

I chose to not put the passenger handles back on, and I've been left with 4 large spacers and bolts sticking down, which I can live with but find to be a bit ugly. Anyone think there would be an issue with finding some bolts that wouldn't need those spacers and replacing them to clean it up further?
I never thought about this even though I contemplated doing the same and removing the handlebars as well....

I'm gonna shoot them an e-mail. See if there's a chance they'd fabricate something as part of the kit?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Let us know what they say!

I was planning on just running down to the local Home Depot with one of the bolts and looking for some that matched, but if they made something specific, I'd probably be more inclined to go with that.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Let us know what they say!

I was planning on just running down to the local Home Depot with one of the bolts and looking for some that matched, but if they made something specific, I'd probably be more inclined to go with that.
Well, bad news :(

All is well. Manufacturing a filler block in place of the handles would be costly, mostly due to the size of the block and that you would need a left and a right side. The injection molds alone would run at least 10-15k then add the cost of material. Would need to sell a ton just to break even. We can also make these with a 3D printer but production would take forever to produce a set plus the material is not that durable.

We could fabricate something from sheet metal similar to the how the FEs are made but that would take a lot of mocking up and probably will not align nicely with the body considering we are bending flat metal to fill a curved shape.

As far as trying to mount the FE without having the bolts stick out would be to use a replacement bolt (M8) maybe a button head with a M8 large OD washer and some spacers (washers) to fill the space which the handle bar originally occupied. So it would be something like bolt>large OD washer>FE>washers>plastic undertail>chassis

Thanks
Harry

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just want to share my MD tail tidy kit. In my opinion it looks best with the integrated tail lights. Cleans up the whole rear portion of the bike and gives you a clear view of how wide the rear tires are
I just noticed your plateholder says Ducati Philippines. How is it riding out there? My family is from the Philippines and I'd always heard about how much of a nightmare driving is out there, haha.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.