Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Ducati Team heads to ‘The Cathedral’ for the Dutch TT at Assen

With the Barcelona race behind them, the Ducati Team are now heading north to the Netherlands for the eighth round of the 2014 MotoGP World Championship at the Assen TT circuit. As well as being the oldest race on the calendar (the first edition was held in 1949), the Dutch GP is also the only race that is traditionally held on a Saturday. The circuit has undergone a number of modifications over the years, but what has never changed is the incredible number of fans that flock to the circuit every year,

Dovizioso, who does not rate Assen as one of his favourite circuits, has however stepped onto the podium twice recently in the MotoGP category, with a third place in both 2011 and 2012. His team-mate Crutchlow on the other hand does like the Dutch track, and in fact last year the British rider qualified on the front row for the first time ever in MotoGP, eventually finishing third.

Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team #04)
“Assen is a strange track because of the layout and also because of the weather conditions that we normally find during the race weekend. For us last year’s race was very difficult, but after the result we obtained in Barcelona, where we cut the gap to the leaders by half from 2013, we hope to continue this positive trend in the Netherlands.”

Cal Crutchlow (Ducati Team #35)
“Assen is definitely one of the tracks in the championship that I like the most. I had a great race there last year, taking the pole and sharing the podium with Rossi and Marquez. There’s no doubt my championship so far has been difficult, but I’m going to Assen with confidence, and we’ll all give 100%, you can be sure of that.”

The Assen TT Circuit
Since its inauguration in 1949, Assen has held a Grand Prix every year, first on public roads and then from 1954 on the track known as the Dutch TT. The circuit is located amidst grassy banks with numerous grandstands and a seating capacity of 64,500. In 2002 the circuit was modernized and a new grandstand, race control tower, revamped garages and media centre were added. The track was then modified in 2005, with its 6 km lap distance first reduced to 4.555 km and then to its current length of 4.542 km.

Fastest lap: Dani Pedrosa (Honda – 2012), 1’34.548 (172.9 km/h)
Qualifying: Casey Stoner (Honda – 2012), 1’33.713 (174.4 km/h)
Track length: 4.542 km
Race length: 26 laps (118.1 km)
Corners: 18 (6 left, 12 right)
Race start: 14.00 local time (GMT +2)

Andrea Dovizioso
Bike: Ducati Desmosedici GP14
Race number: 04
Residence: Forlì (Italy)
Races: 211 (113 x MotoGP, 49 x 250cc, 49 x 125cc)
First GP: 2001 Italian GP (125cc)
Wins: 10 (1 x MotoGP, 4 x 250cc, 5 x 125cc)
First win: 2004 South African GP (125cc)
Poles: 14 (1 x MotoGP, 4 x 250cc, 9 x 125cc)
First pole: 2003 French GP (125cc)
World titles: 1 (1 x 125cc)

Cal Crutchlow
Bike: Ducati Desmosedici GP14
Race number: 35
Residence: Isle of Man
Races: 58 (58 x MotoGP)
First GP: 2011 Qatar
Poles: 2
First pole: 2013 Assen TT

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Let's get ready to RUMBLE!!!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I am going to call it right now...

The streak shall end... :popcorn:

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Unfortunately I'll have to agree with freighttrain. I don't think Mark will win at Assen, and if he doesn't, then I hope Rossi will win it again!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Unfortunately?
It's ok to agree with me Rubbish...

I will be honest.. I just watched the on-board view of the last race again.. DAMN!
Do I love watching the races from that coverage..

I am hoping that Dani pulls a rabbit out of his hat in Assen. I really do..

I have no doubt that Marc is going to be tough to beat, but a part of me would love to see Dani win one...
Rossi second..
Marquez third...

We will see... As it has been one heck of a year so far in GP.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Unfortunately?
It's ok to agree with me Rubbish...
:p I didn't mean it like that....I meant it as in "unfortunately Marquez won't win most likely", which is what you said. I still want Marquez to win, it's just unfortunate if it doesn't win. Nothing to do with you! ;)

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately I'll have to disagree with everyone because that's what you expect me to do right? ;)

Can't see past the Hondas but Assen is a good track for Yamaha. Might see some racing again, which is good. Don't care who wins it but I'm kinda thinking the impossible now and would not mind a Marquez clean sweep. Earlu days.

I know you boys like a bit of Hayden and the Aspar release popped into my inbox last night so I may as well post it. Adds to the conversation.

___

The MotoGP World Championship this week heads to its oldest venue as the legendary TT Assen Circuit maintains its incredible run of hosting a round of the series every season since its inception back in 1949. Even though it has been reformed and remodelled many times since then it retains the magical atmosphere it became famous for worldwide and on the final Saturday of every June it attracts fans from across the continent. This year it hosts the eighth round of the season with Jorge Lorenzo, Valentino Rossi and Dani Pedrosa all looking to break Marc Marquez's 100% winning streak so far this season.

Nicky Hayden arrives in Holland lying twelfth in the current MotoGP standings and second in the 'Open' classification despite missing two races through injury. The DRIVE M7 Aspar Team rider produced heroics in Catalunya to ride just days after undergoing surgery on his wrist and he was rewarded for his efforts with twelfth place in the race. The American is hoping Assen will present a relatively easier challenge than Barcelona and he is motivated to ride at a circuit that saw him take a famous victory back in 2006. His team-mate Hiroshi Aoyama has scored points in every race so far this season despite suffering a technical problem in the race at Catalunya, where he struggled over the line in fifteenth place. The Japanese rider is hoping for a better result this weekend.

Nicky Hayden: “We had a tough weekend at Catalunya but we still managed to have a good race. Hopefully this weekend at Assen is less of struggle – I like the circuit a lot and I have a lot of good memories after some good results in the past. I am looking forward to getting there and seeing how I feel – hopefully I will be stronger than last time. I am sure that the team will continue to work hard and the chemistry between us will continue to build as it has been doing all year. On paper we should be more competitive at Assen than we were in Barcelona because the straights are shorter and the layout should suit our bike. The weather is always changeable in Holland but I am looking forward to getting there and riding and hopefully challenging for a better result than Barcelona.”

Hiroshi Aoyama: “The last race in Catalunya wasn't an easy one for us because we had a technical problem. Fortunately we were able to make it to the finish and score points but the result wasn't what I had hoped for. I am sure we will have better luck at Assen and we'll be able to spend the weekend working on the bike. Assen is a relatively small and technical circuit and I am sure we can be more competitive there. The weather tends to be quite unstable so we will have to keep an eye on that. Our bike handles very well, that's its strongest point, so Assen should be on the of the circuits that suits it the best. We will work very hard to be competitive and achieve the best possible result.”

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Movistar Yamaha MotoGP Arrives at Assen TT Circuit

After yet another thrilling race in Catalunya a fortnight ago the team Movistar Yamaha MotoGP arrive in Assen. The last round saw Valentino Rossi fight a hard battle for a well-deserved second place and Jorge Lorenzo displayed his trademark ‘Por Fuera’ pass for the delighted Spanish crowd. Both riders are keen on another chance to show their fighting spirit at the TT Assen this Saturday.

Rossi looks forward to continuing his battles during the eighth round of the championship staged at one of his most successful circuits. The Italian, who currently holds second place in the championship standings, has won at the TT Circuit Assen a total of eight times, six of these victories being in the MotoGP class.

Teammate Lorenzo also has a good track record at the TT circuit, which is considered to be "the cathedral" of motorcycling. The Spaniard has won at this circuit four times in total across all MotoGP Championship classes (125cc, 250cc and MotoGP). Lorenzo will try to push this total up to five with some help of the small set up changes made during the post-Catalunya IRTA Test and subsequent private Aragon test to improve the acceleration and the stability of his bike.

The TT-Assen is a special event as it is the only venue to have held a round of the Motorcycle World Championship every year since its creation in 1949. The original circuit was over 6km and a favourite among riders, but track modifications over the winter of 2005/6 caused the length of the track to be cut down. The current Assen track is 4,542 meters long, but the circuit managed to keep its character thanks to its narrow tarmac, rapid change in directions, and its mixture of high-speed and low-speed corners. The TT-circuit is surrounded by grass banks and grandstands filled with thousands of supporters who are drawn to this prestigious event.

Monster Yamaha Tech3 team is feeling confident for 8th round. Pol Espargaro aims to hunt down the leading factory bikes during his first visit to Assen on a MotoGP bike. Teammate Bradley Smith had a very positive test after the Catalunya Grand Prix. The British rider finished the practice session in second position, giving him extra motivation for this weekend.

NGM Forward Racing rider Aleix Espargaro arrives after a strong performance at the home GP. The Spaniard is determined to get a good result at the Dutch track, which is one of his favourite circuits. Teammate Colin Edwards also looks forward to racing at the TT Circuit again, where he previously finished on the podium in 2005 (Superbike) and 2008 (MotoGP).

Valentino Rossi

"Assen is a great track and a good track for Yamaha. The weather will be very important here. You never know if it will be hot or cold or dry or wet. Last year's race was unforgettable but honestly this year I feel I am strong almost everywhere so we have to try hard to beat the competition."

Jorge Lorenzo

"After a bit of a disappointing weekend in Barcelona where I gave my best even when some circumstances didn’t help us, we travel to Holland with plenty of optimism. In Barcelona we struggled a bit with the acceleration, especially in the last part of the track where we used to be so strong in the past. This year that issue didn’t allow me to fight in front for the victory. Afterwards during two test days we found some solutions to solve that problem and we tested new things to try to cut off the distance with our main rivals. I look forward to racing in Assen, it’s maybe my favorite circuit. It’s a nice layout defined by some quick corners and a short straight that looks good for us, and especially for the Yamaha. In recent years I couldn’t got so many good results but instead I always could find a good set up and ride in my best way. Last season I finished fifth after a surgery on my collarbone and I suffered a lot but finally I could conclude a very special race. Anyway, looking into the future it is the best opportunity to do my best and try to get my first win. We will see!"

Massimo Meregalli - Movistar Yamaha MotoGP Team Director

"As always it is a real pleasure for the team to come to such an iconic circuit and race as the Assen TT. We’ve had two very promising rounds at both Mugello and Catalunya where we’ve really started to show what we can do. The IRTA and Aragon tests went well so we are keen to put what we have learnt into practice this weekend. Both Vale and Jorge are capable of being very fast here at Assen so we’re looking forward to Thursday morning where we plan to start our weekend in the best way possible."

Pol Espargaro

"I am looking forward to getting the racing underway at this special circuit in the Netherlands this week. We had a really positive test day after the Catalunya Grand Prix which has given me a further confidence boost ahead of this round and for sure I am very keen to see the results of our experiments at the test in action. Last year the Dutch TT was a really strong event for me where I won the Moto2 race from pole position and although it may be hard to emulate that this year, I still aim to get close to the leading riders. Realistically, I am targeting to be in the top 5 again as I know this is fully achievable and even though the weather can be a bit tricky, I am ready to race in Assen."

Bradley Smith

"It’s safe to say that the past five rounds really haven’t been how I would have imagined them. My lack of luck in the past races has made things challenging but after the truely productive test, I am certain my fortunes will turn around this week in Assen. I‘ve ridden well here in the past having collected a podium in the 125cc class as well as in Moto2 during my first year aboard the Tech3 Racing Moto2 bike. Moreover the track certainly suits the style of the Yamaha, which I aim to utilise fully to ensure that we have a positive weekend especially in front of the Dutch and English fans who are brilliant and truly love our sport coming to their country."

Aleix Espargaro

"I'm looking forward to going to Assen, it’s my favourite track after Barcelona. I love the circuit, quick and very flowing, but also I love the ambience. I am very motivated to go there and try to confirm another strong performance. In Barcelona we had a very good pace and I’m confident that we can do even better at Assen."

Colin Edwards

"Assen is a great track, I love it and it brings to mind a lot of good memories both in World Superbike and in MotoGP. We had a good test at Barcelona, I was more comfortable on the bike and I look forward to confirm this feeling next Saturday."

2014 MotoGP Netherlands Assen 25/06/2014

Circuit Length:

Lap Record:
1'34.525
(Daniel Pedrosa, 1-1-2010)

Fastest Lap Ever:
1'33.713
(Casey Stoner, 30-6-2012)

Last Years Winner:
Valentino Rossi

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Interesting read...
Personally? I like game changers.. And I am glad the gentleman's club has been put on pause..

I like the elbow dragging, race till the checkered flag waves attitude that seems to have come with Marc from Moto2.

See how bad these guys want to keep "Project 450" from happening...

Reactions: ENZOSO

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Yes, well - we might have closer results if MM wasn't there, but the racing wouldn't be as fast!

A part of the pleasure of watching Marquez to me is seeing how easily he sees off the former stars. The guys we used to watch being the fastest ever, now looking like 'also-rans'.

So although he takes a lot of the 'who will win?' guesswork out of it - we know it will be Marquez if disaster does not strike - the spectacle of that supreme speed of the young feller is worth it.

It has brought another level to the top series, which is just what it needed. And if Marquez doesn't prevail at Assen - let's face it, he can't keep winning forever - that will open it up for some others.

And other ex-Moto2 guys like Espargaro and Smith are coming along also. Marquez won't have it as good for long. Let's enjoy it while it lasts.

:)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts