Ducati.org forum banner

MotoGP 2015 - Round 6 - Mugello

18K views 195 replies 19 participants last post by  Tuned 
#1 · (Edited)
#5 ·
For Rossi or Marquez...yeah me too! :D

Reactions: Tuned
#6 ·
I am pretty darn excited for this race..
Weather says that it should remain cool, high'70'sF..
With a chance of rain on Sunday?:(
As much as I would like to to Rossi and Dovi battle for the lead? Ending with a Rossi victory?
If it stays cooler and dry?
Advantage Lorenzo.. In my eyes anyhow.. that set up with that medium tire as he has been exploiting as of late.
See if Rossi can qualify well..
See how Ionnone has recuperated..
See how badly Marc wants to join the battle.. and let us see just how bad that HRC bike is these days? Even with Marc's talent and skill, Honda seems to be searching for something. Is the Honda in trouble? Or is it something that can be rectified quickly?

If Rossi qualifies well? I think that he will be there in the end and going for it..

Another 3rd row start? With the cooler temps?
I think that Jorge may do pretty darn well.. With Rossi, Marc, and Dovi battling for second and third..
If it rains? Advantage Dovi in my eyes.. with Marc and Rossi going at it behind him..
Jorge doesn't seem to like the wet..

Should be good..

#7 ·
If Rossi qualifies well? I think that he will be there in the end and going for it..
You mean in 8th place? Beware of Rossi when he starts from 8th! :p

Btw, the Hondas have done pretty good at Mugello in past years. Will be interesting indeed. I just hope the pressure is not overwhelming Marc to the point that he's going to bin it and get a DNF.

#8 ·
Personally, I think that if Rossi really wants that 10th title?
He will have to do better than 8th..
That worked when Jorge was struggling, but now?
Not so sure..

Jorge is confident, has a good feeling, and is in "hammer" mode..

Of Jorge keeps his mind clear, and keeps this rhythm?
Rossi will have a hard time catching him in my eyes..
Unless Rossi can at least be top 6 or better come Q2.
Just my opinion.. But I think Jorge will have it his way.. If Rossi doesn't sort that out.

Reactions: Paul1198
#9 ·
I think this one is Rossis' (frig did I spell that right...). He is a lot closer to Lorenzo this year, so even if the weather is cool I doubt Lorenzo will be able to pull away from him this time. Remember the home crowd loves Rossi, and Rossi loves them, big advantage. The Hondas are still fast down the straights so I think it's going to be an epic battle at the front.

Rossi
MM (Just because he is going to pull a wild one on whoever is in front of him on the last lap)
Dovi/Lorenzo

:drummer:

#10 ·
I think I'll talk tyres a little later when I have had a few beers. makes the words flow easier, even if the spelling and grammar goes out the window ;) Meanwhile:

Attachments

#17 ·
As I've said many times it's just the press releases and press images from Ducati Press. It's no big thing to share them it's if I have the time to resize them for posting ( they are initially often over 5000 pixels wide so need some work )
I have a press media account with Ducati so when I have the time and am in the mood I'll post race weekend release stuff. Until the arguing and complaining starts again.

#19 ·
Still waiting for some info from Bridgestone, was asked to email them to Carmine Moscaritolo. Which is good, being taken proper serious like ;)

I'll not comment on FP1 yet, give people time to watch it maybe. But just want to say it's going to be a very good weekend whatever happens.

track temps are expected to remain similar all weekend. Consistency is a good thing. I'll talk about the tyre choices at the end of the day.

Meanwhile: Just have a look at the fastest bikes through the speedtrap.

Attachments

#21 ·
It will be interesting to see what happens when people start to focus on race pace. The fast times of the day appeared to be one-off run's, insuring Q2 position, rather then longer race-pace runs. Dovi's quick laps were on the medium tire, where the other's were on the harder. Tomorrow will answer a lot of questions as always. Excited to see Q4 results… I'm hedging my bets on Marquez.

#23 ·
MotoGP 2015 - Round 6 - Mugello 29 May 2015

Dovizioso leads the way in free practice at the end of Day 1 of the TIM Italian GP at Mugello. Iannone goes fourth, while Pirro sets twelfth-quickest time

The first day of free practice for the TIM Italian GP at Mugello began well for the Ducati Team. Andrea Dovizioso ended today’s two 45-minute sessions in first place, while his team-mate Andrea Iannone finished the day in fourth place, despite the problem with his left shoulder which he injured during testing at the Tuscany circuit on May 12th. Michele Pirro also put in a good performance, the Ducati Test Team test-rider twelfth quickest in the combined timesheets in his first race of the season as a wild-card with the Desmosedici GP15.

Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team #04) – 1’47.479 (1st)
“I am very happy with how this weekend has started for us and above all with the time I set at the end of the session. We are quick and this is fundamental in the search for the best set-up. We are still carrying out some tests in order to improve certain aspects of the Desmosedici GP15 that will allow us to be competitive right until the end of the race. Now we must concentrate on the analysis of the data so that we can have a clear starting-point to work on for tomorrow.”

Andrea Iannone (Ducati Team #29) – 1’47.940 (4th)
“I had hoped to be in a better condition but instead I am having to make a big effort on this track, more than I expected. It’s not so much a question of pain, it’s more that I need too much strength, which in this moment I simply don’t have. I am not able to move my left shoulder the way I want to and so I’m losing a lot in the changes in direction, and there are a lot of them here at Mugello. I have to grit my teeth and do my best. As for the bike, I am quite pleased, we knew that the GP15 would be competitive here, I’m just sorry I’m not in the best condition to be able to make the best of its performance.”

Michele Pirro (Ducati Test Team #51) – 1’48.317 (12th)
“I am satisfied but at the same time a bit angry. On my best lap I came up on traffic which led to me losing a few tenths, but I’m only eight-tenths of a second away from Dovizioso, and for me, in my first race with the GP15, that’s not bad at all. I found a much higher level than last year: I’m twelfth and less than a second from the top, so I’m confident about tomorrow, when I will try and get into Q2 because I feel sure the bike has the potential to do so.”

Attachments

#24 · (Edited)
It’s not only MotoGP engines and chassis that are under constant development. Many other parts of the bikes, perhaps every other part, are also constantly scrutinized to see if changes might improve the performance of the bike, or if changes are required in one piece in order to accommodate changes desired in another....

read the full article here Ducati GP15 Vent Update - Photo.GP

reproduced with permission

Attachments

#28 ·
Bridgestone comments:

TECHNICAL TUSCAN TRACK IS TOUGH ON TYRES

Italy’s Mugello Circuit hosts round six of the MotoGP™ championship, the venue is a favourite for riders and fans alike due to its stunning Tuscan surrounding and its fast, technical layout.

Mugello combines fast and slow corners with one of the longest straights on the MotoGP calendar. This straight is preceded by the sweeping Bucine corner which hurls the riders down the hill towards turn one at speeds of around 350km/h. The approach to turn one at San Donato features a severe braking zone that demands extremely high levels of stability and control from the front tyre.
In addition to the heavy acceleration and braking zones, the flowing sections like Casanova-Savelli, Biondetti, and Arrabbiata 1 and 2, require very high levels of grip from the edge of the tyre. With nine right-handed corners compared to just six lefthanders, two of the rear slick options for Mugello - the soft and medium compound
- feature harder rubber on the right shoulders compared to the left.
For the Factory Honda and Yamaha riders, the rear slick tyre options are the medium and hard compound rear slicks, while the other riders have the soft and medium
compound rear slicks available. Bridgestone’s front slick tyre options for the Italian Grand Prix are the soft, medium and hard compounds to ensure the riders have options to deal with a wide range of temperature and track conditions.

Shinji Aoki
Mugello is one of the fastest circuits on the calendar and is tough on tyres because of the high speed corners, elevation changes, harsh braking, and the track temperatures which often reach above 50 degrees Celsius.
The Mugello tarmac is also high in grip and abrasive which further increases the technical challenge for us. Although hot weather is often experienced at this event, the circuit
is located in mountainous terrain and so our tyre allocation must also be able to deal with low temperatures, particularly in the morning sessions. The heavy braking zone demands a strong and stable front tyre, whilst the high speed corners require good stability and edge grip from the rear tyre. Top speeds here are among the highest reached during the season and this puts significant strain on the centre section of the rear tyres.

Brembo:
It is not a particularly demanding circuit for the braking system with the exception of the first cut out after the finish line which is very difficult because of the extremely high speed which the motorcycles reach thanks to the preceding straight stretch, the longest of the world championship.
Here the motorcycles in little more than 6 seconds go from over 350 km/h to a speed of approximately 120 km/h.
The other brakes are not particularly demanding and allow the braking systems to cool.

Attachments

#31 ·
You guys act as if a Ducati has never been on the front row. They still ran a softer tire then the other factory bikes and they weren't miles ahead of anyone, a little over 5 tenths covered the top 9 riders and less then one hundredth of a second gap between Iannone and Lorenzo. That just shows you Lorenzo isn't messing around and didn't need a softer tire to be on the front row like the Ducati's.

The big news story is Marc Marquez unable to get through Q1 after a horrible FP3. The team wanted him to work on some electronics testing with a worn tire and they literally ran out of time. This pushed him into Q1, which would have been OK, but there was a setup problem with his bike and the rear was spinning up. Marc figured he could get through on the harder option tire, but it wasn't working. He came into the pits to switch onto the medium, but there wasn't enough time left. Even though his fast lap was good, it wasn't good enough to be Hernandez with the soft tire who only pipped Marquez by a few tenths.

I have a feeling this race is going to be a snoozer. Lorenzo's lap times in FP3/FP4 were ominous, he was extremely consistent in the high 47's, low 48's lap after lap after lap. Marquez also has an excellent race pace and very competitive to Jorge. Pedrosa and Rossi, they were there, but the pace wasn't quite as good over the long run. Dovi and Iannone didn't put in long runs on the medium tire like the other guys did, so it's hard to know their outright pace.

So my prediction is:

Lorenzo
Marquez
Rossi
Dovi

Assuming nobody crashes out, there aren't any acts of god and the weather stays sunny.

#34 ·
You guys act as if a Ducati has never been on the front row.
Okay "Tooned", Tell us when the last time, O'Experto, when was the last time in MotoGP, that the Factory Ducati Teammates were on the front row, and one was in the Pole position???..... just askin.....:shruggy:.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.