Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
MotoGP 23 March 2013 - Jerez IRTA Test : Ducati

Weather affects opening day of IRTA test at Jerez

Day one of three at the final pre-season MotoGP test of the year got off to a wet and chilly start in Jerez de la Frontera, with off-and-on rainfall limiting the amount of useful track time for the MotoGP teams and riders.

Ducati Team riders Nicky Hayden and Andrea Dovizioso arrived in Spain with their Desmosedici GP13 configurations essentially the same as what they had tried in Sepang, Malaysia, at the end of last month, and they aimed to confirm their findings on the much different Circuito de Jerez while also testing various updates to electronics and setup.

Dovizioso made exits throughout the day to augment his still-limited wet time aboard the Desmosedici GP13. Hayden sat out the morning hours, but he too ventured out on the damp asphalt following the lunch break, partly to test his right wrist following a small procedure he had performed on it earlier this month.

Nicky Hayden (Ducati Team) 7th, 1:49.643 (20 laps)
“Of course the rain was a big factor, especially this morning, but I was able to get on the track this afternoon. I wanted to check a few things with the electronics and get some track time here on the bike that has the revised weight distribution. I didn’t want to do many exits today because we only have four sets of rain tyres for the three days, and this track uses them up quickly. We made a few small changes, and each time the feeling was a little better. My wrist was a bit stiff when I first went out, but I had no numbness or pain, at least in the wet. Hopefully we’ll get some dry track time over the next two days, because we’d also like to work on a setup for the race when we come back here in May.”

Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team) 10th, 1:50.266 (22 laps)
“I went out this morning in order to get a better feeling in the rain, and there was really a lot of it at first. I wasn’t worried about the lap times because it was my first time in the wet with the GP13. We only have four sets of rain tyres to try in three days, so we couldn’t do all the testing we wanted or even try and go for a quick time. Because I rode this morning, I only had one tyre for this afternoon, and when the conditions were faster, I did my best time with a used tyre. Anyway, today’s times aren’t really a reference. We also did some tests to improve with the electronics, but unfortunately today we couldn’t do a real evaluation because of the weather conditions.”

Also on hand for the test is Ducati Corse’s development team, with Michele Pirro gathering data on the “laboratory” version of the GP13. The Italian turned 48 laps over the course of the day, his 1:49.292 time putting him fifth on the time sheets

All text and images remain copyright: Ducati Corse Press

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Vale matches last years pole and finishes on top on day two

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Day Two

Progress for Ducati Team at day two of Jerez test

Once again, bad weather affected the second day of the final IRTA-organized test ahead of the MotoGP championship that starts in two weeks. The track was wet in the morning and late afternoon, but there were nearly three hours of totally dry conditions just after lunchtime, enabling the Ducati Team to turn a decent number of laps and to try various settings with the Desmosedici GP13.

Andrea Dovizioso and Nicky Hayden were able to verify the good progress made with the GP13’s revised weight distribution, which they had already tried at the second Sepang test last month. In addition, they tried a new aerodynamic solution, with a different fairing. They enjoyed positive results in the windy conditions, with the Italian posting the fifth-best time in the day’s standings. Nicky also worked well in the afternoon, but his planned attempt to lower his time with a new tyre was thwarted by the rain that ended the day prematurely.

Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team) 5th, 1:40.322 (30 laps)
“Looking at the result, you could certainly say the gap of seven tenths isn’t bad, but you can’t really refer to the times because it will probably be dry tomorrow and the track will be faster. Today we did a number of tests with the setup, and I’m curious to see what we can do tomorrow. Anyway, there are a number of aspects we have to work on because we’re still behind.”

Nicky Hayden (Ducati Team) 10th, 1:41.325 (35 laps)
“We finally got a couple of good hours of track time. It was a bit windy, but the track dried up and grip was okay. I was struggling with the wind in the fast corners, and those are important at Jerez. We tried the different fairing, and it helped a little in the wind, but in the fast corners I didn’t have as good a feeling in the front. Things didn’t go as well as I’d hoped, though my hand was a little better in the dry than I had expected. It was a little weak, but I was able to ride 35 laps with no drama.”

Development Team rider Michele Pirro completed a total of 32 laps, working mainly on the chassis, posting a best time of 1:41.603 and finishing the day in fifteenth place.

All text and pictures copyright : Ducati Corse Press.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not getting any feedback so i'll just come out and say it.

I can do this after every Ducati outing. I will provide press releases and photographs after ever motogp session if you are interested. ( there will be delays on the weekends when i'm racing at BSB as I don't get home until Monday night )
I can provide official press releases & photos for Friday, Saturday testing, qualifying and Race day ( from Ducati's press office )

If you don't care so much for this press stuff then let me know as the nature of this forum makes it a pain in the ass to post multiple photos in a format that does not break it. ( not difficult, just tedious ).

·
Administrator
2,935 Posts
Hey, if it's not too much trouble for you, I'd love to see it! But I know you're right about the time it takes to upload all those pics, so your call. But I can't imagine that the effort wouldn't be appreciated here!

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Not getting any feedback so i'll just come out and say it.

I can do this after every Ducati outing. I will provide press releases and photographs after ever motogp session if you are interested. ( there will be delays on the weekends when i'm racing at BSB as I don't get home until Monday night )
I can provide official press releases & photos for Friday, Saturday testing, qualifying and Race day ( from Ducati's press office )

If you don't care so much for this press stuff then let me know as the nature of this forum makes it a pain in the ass to post multiple photos in a format that does not break it. ( not difficult, just tedious ).
how exactly are you getting this stuff? what do you do if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
how exactly are you getting this stuff? what do you do if you don't mind me asking?

I'm in motorsport media. just spent the last 2 years doing 848 challenge for Ducati ( as well as some of the UK WSBK and MotoGP ).

I have press access to the ducatipress.com

It's all above board. Dissemination of the info and pics is the whole point.

I'm working in British 1000 Superstocks for a Kawasaki based team this year but i'll still get this stuff.

bottom line is if you want it I'll do it, I might not always be on the ball especially when I'm in a field with shitty data access.

Just remember these pics are taken by the likes of Scott and Gigi. They are copyrighted so have a care about using them elsewhere without attribution to Ducati.

Edit: I'm no expert but I take photos. Some are ok :)
For what it's worth, this is what I do.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, if it's not too much trouble for you, I'd love to see it! But I know you're right about the time it takes to upload all those pics, so your call. But I can't imagine that the effort wouldn't be appreciated here!

It's my pleasure. I can be notoriously lazy after a busy weekend so don't be afraid to poke me with DM's ;)

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Waiter!?

More wine, more wine..

:)
I recall telling Neil Spalding and Toby Moody ( UK motogp journos ) about the deal to bring Rossi to Ducati about 7 weeks before it was announced. Including all his wage demands, the fact that there was a huge push to bring Fiat in as a co title sponsor ( Philip Morris had no intention of sharing him, that's why they paid all his wages ) and the fact that Burgess initially refused to leave Yamaha.

Spalders said i must be mistaken, and Moody flat out called me a liar. When proven right Moody said I had betrayed my sources. What? Who does not like gossip. They were jealous I knew the deal before the establishment did.

I do behave now. Knew the Dovi deal and Nicky's new contract way in advance. Sometimes you have to keep schtum ;)

·
Banned
12,711 Posts
Can you tell them to build a 1199 motard and get me a job? Im good at lots of things but master of none of them. Zoso, you're DEFINITELY fired now.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
oh yeah, this is good stuff! At least now I have someone to ask when i'm confused about what the shit goes on in the background in the GP or WSBK paddock, or the "politics" behind all of it :D And if I have to I will ship you a bottle of wine ahead of time ;)

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Crutchlow tops the sheets with Vale a close second. Is Cal on a factory bike this year? Didn't think so.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts