Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I live in the city and it's about an hour trip one way to the nearest Ducati service center and the same for Road Atlanta. I have an SUV and no room for a trailer and have gotten sick of renting from Uhaul. Has anyone used a hitch motorcycle carrier?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I've been using one for about 7 years with no issues. Everyone asks about it whenever I stop. I have hauled a monster, 848, and speed triple anywhere from a few miles to the dealer to 2,000 miles on a trip. I can fully load and unload in less than 10 minutes by myself. Just make sure you have the proper tongue rating and class hitch. I have air ride on the couple vehicles I use which helps with the auto level. Most of the time I don't even know I'm towing anything. What kind of SUV do you have? check out discountramps.com go for the 600 lb model.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a RAV4 (non-4 wheel drive). I found a local guy selling a 500lb rated one for next to nothing.

I've been using one for about 7 years with no issues. Everyone asks about it whenever I stop. I have hauled a monster, 848, and speed triple anywhere from a few miles to the dealer to 2,000 miles on a trip. I can fully load and unload in less than 10 minutes by myself. Just make sure you have the proper tongue rating and class hitch. I have air ride on the couple vehicles I use which helps with the auto level. Most of the time I don't even know I'm towing anything. What kind of SUV do you have? check out discountramps.com go for the 600 lb model.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
That's a lot of weight though for a RAV4. Do they even make a hitch receiver that can handle that for small-size SUV's?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
You could get a Trailer-in-a-bag. I used one of those before I got my truck. Nice to toss it in the SUV/garage after you unload, and totally safe. Towed my Duc on Cali's shitty roads from Sacramento to Laguna Seca. Even towed two bikes on it with no problem.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Yeah, when space is restricted, those Kendon trailers are the best, but they're freakin expensive for what they are. A cheaper alternative is the good old Harbor Freight $400 trailer. They don't take up much space. Some assembly required though, but they work ok.

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
Or a truck and a ready ramp 😏^^

Op I looked into the hitch carrier. As long as you hitch is rated and the carrier I rated you are fine. I've seen a few in my area. It wasn't the best option as I didn't even have a hitch and wanted room for taking it to the track. 2k dollar truck and 100ish ramp was my best option.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Or a truck and a ready ramp 😏^^

Op I looked into the hitch carrier. As long as you hitch is rated and the carrier I rated you are fine. I've seen a few in my area. It wasn't the best option as I didn't even have a hitch and wanted room for taking it to the track. 2k dollar truck and 100ish ramp was my best option.
You got that Silverado for only $2k?? :confused: Damn, that's a hell of a deal then!

I was going to suggest a truck to the OP, but I figured if he's looking for something cheap, trading in his current SUV for a truck might end up being expensive depending what you get.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's held up to around 600lbs of dive gear in the back, so I think it would be able to hack it with a 400lb bike. I'll check with the dealership on the hitch, I found one that was a class 4 and rated to 2000lbs.

That's a lot of weight though for a RAV4. Do they even make a hitch receiver that can handle that for small-size SUV's?

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
It's held up to around 600lbs of dive gear in the back, so I think it would be able to hack it with a 400lb bike. I'll check with the dealership on the hitch, I found one that was a class 4 and rated to 2000lbs.
But you didn't have that 600 lb on the outside of the car behind the rear axle, did you?? Of course it can hold that in the car. All vehicles are designed to hold a significant amount as long as the load is in between the axles.

No hitch as far as I'm aware of is rated for anywhere near 2000 lb for tongue weight. The 2000 lb you're referring to is for TOWING. Huge difference! Most hitches are about 500-600 lb tongue rating at most, but for smaller vehicles like that I'm not sure how high they get. I want to say around 350-400, but I could be wrong...it's been a while since I've looked at that. I had a Jeep Liberty a while back which is the same class as a RAV4. Can't remember what class hitch I had, but it was good enough to pull a trailer with my bike on it, but there's no way I would've attempted to have a bike fully supported on the hitch.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
No I didn't have it there, however a friend of mine carries all his dive gear on a platform attached to his RAV4 hitch, so I assumed it would be fine.

I'd love to have a truck and/or trailer, however space doesn't allow it. So if I have to push the limits of the RAV then I am fine with that. I read it was around 300-400 lbs, but it didn't specify which hitch was tested and how it was attached. This is more for a short trip (~1 hour) to DucShop if something happens to the bike all of a sudden that I can't fix myself.

But you didn't have that 600 lb on the outside of the car behind the rear axle, did you?? Of course it can hold that in the car. All vehicles are designed to hold a significant amount as long as the load is in between the axles.

No hitch as far as I'm aware of is rated for anywhere near 2000 lb for tongue weight. The 2000 lb you're referring to is for TOWING. Huge difference! Most hitches are about 500-600 lb tongue rating at most, but for smaller vehicles like that I'm not sure how high they get. I want to say around 350-400, but I could be wrong...it's been a while since I've looked at that. I had a Jeep Liberty a while back which is the same class as a RAV4. Can't remember what class hitch I had, but it was good enough to pull a trailer with my bike on it, but there's no way I would've attempted to have a bike fully supported on the hitch.

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
Rubbish is spot on, the ext is where it gets interesting. I'd talk to an RV type dealer/shop.

Yes Rub but it's seen better days it's a 1997 getting close to 300k miles 😕

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Rubbish is spot on, the ext is where it gets interesting. I'd talk to an RV type dealer/shop.

Yes Rub but it's seen better days it's a 1997 getting close to 300k miles 😕

They can be had for cheap. I too am a Silvy guy.
My '00 was a 2500. std cab/long bed work truck. With the 6.0 and 4l80. Got it for $3000 out the door. 120k on it.

Got more for it when I traded it in, lol.

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
They can be had for cheap. I too am a Silvy guy.
My '00 was a 2500. std cab/long bed work truck. With the 6.0 and 4l80. Got it for $3000 out the door. 120k on it.

Got more for it when I traded it in, lol.
When we were shopping I could not believe what they were asking for on CL. This one was a bit shady as the guy was 3rd owner with no title change. I made him go to the DOL with me and get it cleared before I handed him the money.

The engine runs great the 4x4 works, needs a new A/C compressor and interior HVAC fan. Had to fix the drivers power door and latch. 5.7 liter glad its not my daily. It does the trick for dump runs, getting the Christmas tree and of course going to the track :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had a double dirt bike carrier, I transported two KTM 525EXC's, about $275lbs each.

I did this with a Suburban with air assist rear shocks.

There is no way I'd put 450lbs hanging off the back of a Rav4. Whether the hitch can take it, the front of the RAV4 is just too light and the wheelbase too short.

It's not just a matter of whether the hitch can take the weight, it's a matter of keeping the front wheels firmly on the ground for steering and braking.

The trailer in a bag would be my choice it I had minimal storage space, that'll actually take up less space than the bike carrier when not on the vehicle.

I'm also a scuba driver and even with tanks and 30lbs of lead weights, my gear is no where near 450lbs. I can carry all my gear and a tank from the trunk of my car to a boat, I couldn't carry a motorcycle.

Reactions: rubbish

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks man. I am going to look into the trailer in a bag then.

I do technical cave diving, we push dives on rebreathers and stage tanks. My RAV had 15 or so tanks, my rebreather, and all of our gear.

I had a double dirt bike carrier, I transported two KTM 525EXC's, about $275lbs each.

I did this with a Suburban with air assist rear shocks.

There is no way I'd put 450lbs hanging off the back of a Rav4. Whether the hitch can take it, the front of the RAV4 is just too light and the wheelbase too short.

It's not just a matter of whether the hitch can take the weight, it's a matter of keeping the front wheels firmly on the ground for steering and braking.

The trailer in a bag would be my choice it I had minimal storage space, that'll actually take up less space that the bike carrier when not on the vehicle.

I'm also a scuba driver and even with tanks and 30lbs of lead weights, my gear is no where near 450lbs. I can carry all my gear and a tank from the trunk of my car to a boat, I couldn't carry a motorcycle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have used a Mototote MTX model for 5 years and I love it. Recently disassembled it, repainted, and put back together with new plated grade 12 cap screws. I've hauled 2 Ducati Monsters from Cleveland OH to Key West FL to New Orleans to Chicago and back. Love it.

I will add that the vehicle doing the most long distance hauling was a 3/4 full size Chevy van. Prior to that I used a Chevy Astro to go from CLE to Chicago and back, handling was a little scary with the Astro but the 'tote held up fine. My new ride, a Nissan Xterra has been the best so far as handling goes; I've added an additional pair of leaf springs, 2 helper springs in addition to those, and Bilstein 5100 shocks. BUT I've yet to test it on a cross country trip....this is about to change in January as I'm headed south to Texas, then all the way to the SoCal coast, then back east....wish me luck, lol.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.