Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And had a f*cking blast doing it!

Did this date (8/23) with Absolute Cycle Experience. We were at Pocono, on the South/East course. Admittedly not a very difficult track at all, but I preferred it that way. Its hard enough adjusting to being on the track, learning your line, etc.. so an easier to remember course made it that much more fun.

ACE seems to be a less frills group, as opposed to N2. There is no photographer out there taking your pics, tech wasn't over the top, the CR's didnt have their own fancy garage... but they did everything really well. I think a lot of people cancelled the day, and a lot of guys in the paddock never went out for a session. But ACE gave everyone a 50% credit, whether or not they rode. I thought that was pretty stand up for them to do.

I basically didnt count my first day a few months ago, so I started fresh with ACE, in their Into School group. They way they structure the group is a 15 minute session on the track, followed by 15-20 minutes in the classroom. Each session. It made me really comfortable. Our class was small I guess (about 12 of us), so each CR had 3 of us tailing him. Immediately we went out at a comfortable pace, the CR pointing shit out on the course, and looking back to see what us degenerates were up to behind him. Each session afterwards we picked up speed. I think the 3rd session we were allowed to pass on straights- so that helped with the speed as well.

We fought with rain all day, and had standing water on the track in a few spots (and a stream of running water through the exit of turn 3. Made my butt pucker a few times). The biggest problem I had with that was getting my tire pressures in a good spot. I finally ended up at 30f/28r, and it felt good. On Pilot Power 2CT's.

My CR had positive feedback for me, and constructive feedback as well. My 2 biggest issues he noticed were that I dont tuck onto the bike- I sit vertical. And I could drive out of the corners harder. Both of which I started to try and pay attention to. He then asked me if I had traction control.... i figured he was going to tel me to turn it up. When I told him I dont have it, his eyes got a bit bigger and he said "you are fine! Keep doing what you are doing!"

It was almost a Ducati day... 2 1199s's, my 1198, and a 796 Monster all in the intro group. Another half dozen Ducatis's in the other classes.

Long story short, my next day will also be with ACE. I will be doing the 15th at NJMP, the day after AMA is down there racing. I'm fucking stoked!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks WERA!

I was a bit hesitant to go out at first... but the instructor made some convincing arguments as to why its a good idea to play in the rain. I figured if i got too uncomfortable, I could just pit in.

I am very happy I listened to him. Had a great time!

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Nice! Good times! :D

It doesn't rain here in So Cal, so I never got to ride/race on the track when raining. :(

Sounds like you had fun and yes, riding in the wet is very good learning because of the reduced grip. You understand how to be smoother on the brake actuation and throttle control. The few times I've ridden on the streets in torrential down pour has been a lot of fun. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I currently transport my bike on an open trailer, so the way I figure is if it's raining my shit is going to be a mess anyway. So I might as well enjoy some extra track time while everyone else packs it in.

Glad you had fun, hope to get up to Pocono & Thunderbolt sometime soon.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tye- that is almost verbatim what the instructor said. And just like Jmour, i use an open trailer. So it was going to need a bath anyway

Couple pics:

Cold gf:

Lake forming outside classroom:

Started to dry out;

·
Administrator
2,890 Posts
My first rain race, and my first endurance that wasn't a "hey you wanna ride with us on Saturday?", was a six hour WERA National Endurance race in Savannah. Yes, I said first rain race AND NATIONAL. That meant that Kurt Hall and Team Valvoline Suzuki (think Keith Perry and John Ulrich), Team Arclight Kawasaki, ALL the major National teams were there. We rode my roommate's CBR600 F2, on street Metzelers....cuz we couldn't change tires, and hoped they'd last. The rain was a gift to us :D

In my second stint, Kurt Hall passed me going into T1. Middle of T2, their "total loss" ignition system gave up, and he coasted to the outside of the track and stopped in the mud. I passed between Kurt and the MotoWorld camera that was following him off track. And thus, my 2 seconds of national TV fame. :D

My teammate came in from his second stint about 20 minutes earlier than scheduled, complaining of a sore knee. So I told everyone that I was just going to relax and bring it home....not to expect much. Rode the first hour uneventfully, but I began to realize that I was out there longer than I had been. I came past pit road, and my team was all jumping up and down at pit wall....my gf, my co-rider, and a couple of friends.

I came around the next lap, tapping my wrist, trying to signal that I wanted to know how much longer I had to go. They never got it, or they chose not to tell me....I really don't know which. What they DID do was get more excited every time I came by. Ok, whatever....I'm on cruise control out here.

The checkered came out, and as I came up the finish straight, I started pumping my left fist in the air. I hadn't thought about the extra mass and inertia of 50 pounds of wet leather, and nearly started the death tank slapper from hell, within sight of the line!!!!

When I got back to the pits, I asked "why didn't y'all tell me how much longer?" All they could say was "MAN, you were ROCKIN it out there!!!" I looked at the lap charts, and sure enough, I had averaged almost 11 seconds a lap faster than I had in my first two sessions, or than my teammate went by a LOT. ELEVEN SECONDS A LAP! To this day, I have no idea how that happened, but it was consistent through an hour and a half, so it happened.

Next thing I know, guys from the BIG teams were dropping by our pit, shaking our hands and congratulating us on a solid performance. I don't recall being so proud, except when I got my podium. And we didn't finish last. Good times. The best times.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Good story Neil. Kinda reminds me of my current racing and how my mindset has changed since my goal was to fill my room with trophies. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Rain has a way of finding me during track days. So far Barber, NOLA twice and most recently Road Atlanta last week. Granted this is all this year.

Here is my buddy relaxing during our session, I rode the next two until the lightning shut us down for good. Track Day 010.JPG

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where should I start looking for a rain suit? I saw a few guys that had them on over their leathers.. the rain suits had cutouts for their knee pucks, etc

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm not sure, but most likely any of the associated venders will carry them.
I just use it as an opportunity to give my leather a good washing. The rain does wondering on removing bugs.;)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hey Gunther, what were you riding? I took my friend up for his first track day ever on his 1199S. He had a minor off, but it didn't stop him. The conditions were terrible.

Unfortunately, I couldn't ride myself.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I know who your buddy is... and he is fast! He blew past me on the back straight when it started to dry out mid day. His 1199s sounds AMAZING. My buddy lowsided his z1K same session your buddy lowsided.

Us:

·
Registered
95 Posts
He's got a really nice bike.

Before:

During the rain:

Your friend's bike didn't look real bad, just lost the MC and dented the other side of the tank, right?

Ray was doing good for his first track day. You guys had a rough day weather-wise. Good job not packing up.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Your friend's bike didn't look real bad, just lost the MC and dented the other side of the tank, right?

Ray was doing good for his first track day. You guys had a rough day weather-wise. Good job not packing up.
Yeah- my buddies bike was fine. He broke the master, dented up the tank, and broke a peg... we had it back together Monday night.He was running race take-offs.... tires didnt like the rain much that day. He left Thursday for a friend in WV, they rode the Snake all weekend.

Ray, your bike is the reason I just put frame sliders (underbody) on mine. Between a few of our sessions I was looking at your bike and was really impressed by the minimal damage you had.

You boys heading to Thunderbolt on the 15th?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm still healing from my streetbike accident. I'm hoping to be healed enough to go to NJMP Columbus Day weekend to ride with TPM. I still need a new helmet before I can do that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts