Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Ran into a bit of a problem on my 2012 848 EVO today. I was riding on the highway heading home, and noticed my throttle seemed to be blipping, temps were normal, no lights on the dash. I down shifted and the problem seemed to go away. About 5 minutes later I looked down and saw that my gas light was on, so I got of the highway and filled it up. Oddly the bike only took 2.5 gallons and was full. Upon leaving the gas station, my throttle was extremely difficult to control, the bike would either stall or or was Revving the bike out excessively. I was able to get the bike back on the highway, was really sputtering to hold speed, and again the throttle was almost bucking the bike (hovering between 50-65). Shortly after i came up on some traffic, that brought me down to a crawl, the bike was basically unridable at this point, again stalling, or revving our excessively like I had no throttle control. I pulled over shut it down, and called the wife to bring the trailer.

I got the bike back home, and started doing some research of similar problems. I was going to try and record a video in the driveway in the morning, but was reaching out to the forums to see if there are any immediate suggestions of where I should look.

Fuel issue? Spark issue? Kick Stand sensor?

2012 848 EVO
4300 Miles
Termi V2 exhaust (with factory air filter and ECU upgrade) otherwise mechanically untouched.
Temps were holding around 150-165
No smoke, smells
No odd noises from the bike
Fuel that was in the bike was shell 93 (probably half a tank was from winter storage, but was treated with Stabil) the other half was fresh shell 93.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the prompt replies. I spoke with a local ducati dealer in my area about getting the bike in for a TPS replacement, but it sounds like the next appointment might be months out due to a back log of covid delayed repairs. I am going to pull the fairing off, but with a new TPS unit requiring a reset or adjustment from the dealer, I am not sure how much I am going to be able to diagnose.

I pulled the bike out of the garage for the first time since the incident last Thursday, and now I can’t even get the bike to idle. I snapped a couple of videos of the cold start, and almost non existent throttle response. I probably did about 10 - 15 attempts, and continued to get the same response.

Lastly, the bike sat outside for a few hours before I rolled it back into the garage. Once I did, I noticed a small puddle of about 4-5 drops of what appeared to be oil, directly under the oil pan block of the engine (cut out in the fairing). The bike is still full of oil, but I have never had an issue with this bike dripping fluids before. Could this have been from all the cold start attempts? Regardless I am going to tackle an oil change for good measure, just to make sure everything is tightened to spec.

·
Registered
910 Posts
You ever get this throttle issue resolved? The leaking oil could be from the oil cooler lines, where they connect to the engine. I usually check to make sure my lines are torqued sufficiently at every oil change, because they do loosen up from vibrations.

If you are in FL, I am willing to connect my Ducati Diag software and cable to test and recalibrate the TPS sensor for you.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I havent done it to my 848 but the TPS reset was pretty easy on my MV with the older magnetti morelli with the ducatidiag software. IIRC it was a big button on the software that was like "TPS Reset?" It resolved the "dead throttle" issue on my MV.

Same as NoTec for the oil. Mine came loose. Im going to pull and see if I can safety wire them next oil change.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Issue seems to be the TPS, I have the replacement part, but sadly I am still waiting on my dealer appointment for the reset. Due to Covid it was booked out almost 2 months before I could get the bike into any authorized Ducati service center. my appointment is on the 28th, so I am trailering the bike in with the fenders already pulled so that they can hopefully do the reset quickly, and I can take the bike home the same day.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You ever get this throttle issue resolved? The leaking oil could be from the oil cooler lines, where they connect to the engine. I usually check to make sure my lines are torqued sufficiently at every oil change, because they do loosen up from vibrations.

If you are in FL, I am willing to connect my Ducati Diag software and cable to test and recalibrate the TPS sensor for you.
Bike got dropped off on the 28th, and was determined not to be the TPS. they said that they hooked it up to the computer and the TPS was registering fine. They stated the O2 sensors were fouled and they were thinking it was fuel related. They replaced the plugs and the bike would at least idle, though it was still running poorly. We'll see what the outcome is. its been about 5 days since I last spoke to them, can't wait for the total bill.

Appreciate the offer to get it on a computer! shame Im a bit too far north to take advantage of the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts