Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Folks,
Ok, I have another strange gremlin going on with my 1098s. We should all be used to strange going-on's I know, but this one really has me and to an extent my mechanic miffed!
After filling my tank, I get ready to set off BUT the bike decides to not respond to any attempt to start. I turn it off and on at the ignition and thump and curse the starter multiple times, but only the dreaded sound of just a click would be heard. I'm thinking the battery must have just decided to drop dead! Check the display and it read's 12.2v. Seem's normal tho and the battery is only about 3mths old. Ok, anyway back home, battery out, charged, failed, new battery in, charged and to life she come's! Joy!! Well for so long anyway.
Take it out the next day, enjoying 100'ks of riding before having to fill. After fuelling, go to start and nothing!!??!! WTF! Exact same issue!:mad:
I push it out of the way and begin to contemplate kicking the shit out of it, and calling for a tow. I hit the starter again, nothing! Grr.
I walk back in to the station to get me some stuff, come back to the bike and decide to give it another shot... LIFE!! It kicks over and continues to behave it self for the next 80k's home. Next day, another perfect start, no problem. Eventually having to stop for FUEL!!! What is going to happen this time? I decide to only fill the tank 3/4 this time, just in case a full belly for some strange reason is having an effect. I say a little prayer, turn the key - pause - then go for the starter - !!NOTHING!! Are you fuk'n kidding me?????? I hit the starter like mad while yelling at the bitch to start. Grrrrr!! I put the bike in gear, hold the clutch in,NOTHING. Roll it back and forth, open and close the cap, turn ignition on and off, all these sequences over and over a few times!! BUT NOTHING. Ok, so a push start look's the go, start pushing the bike (ignition is on BTW) and the the fukn thing just starts up, just decides to do it's own bloody voodoo magic and come to life???
Am I going mad?? Is this really happening?
Well it's a Ducati, it will eventually cause all the sign's of mental disorder eventually I suppose.
Anyway, again it behaved itself all the way home.

I'm really looking forward to the next Tank Full!:rlwhore:

Oh BTW- Anyone, I mean anyone been affected with this very weird behaviour??

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Well I don't have those issues but things that you can check and or upgrade.
Has your bike gone trough the recall of the Voltage regulator?
Also check all battery cables that need to be tight and the integrity, maybe you need to upgrade them to a bigger AWG.
Also try to bypass the stand sensor sometimes they go out intermittently.
Good luck!

·
Registered
156 Posts
is your 1098 a 2007? if it is did it have the starter gear/reduction kit installed? also some cams had the wrong profile and needed different cams, but I believe this was only in a few case's (cams that is)
no way possible now to get any help from Ducati if it is a 2007 but something to look into for the starter reduction kit.
could very well be a bad starter that when it gets hot it fails...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies -

RIGS, yeah it has had the Regulator upgrade, plus it went into the shop for checks on the cables, they tell me all good! But will look into anyway.
How do you bypass the stand switch on these??

Motodave, it's a 2008, will need to look into the kit, first iv'e heard of it.

The only thing is like mentioned.. It's only happening AFTER I put fuel in the tank!?????!
Apart from that, no issues... and that's with stopping and starting a few times along the way after it decides to come back to life.
It could be coincidental (3 times in row though?) I don't know!
Very weird.

The starting on it's own has got my head spinning too?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Thanks for the replies -

How do you bypass the stand switch on these??

QUOTE]

There is a cable going to the stand switch follow it till there is the connector joint.
Open it and separate it; on the side of the female connector. Put a piece of wire across both orifices or if you like me I put a bobby pin across just cut it so the loop is not that big; then put electric tape around it so it can be covered from water and other elements. ant you are good to go.
I believe TPO sell the Bypass connector. that is the same thing but original and sealed property.
Do it this way and check it out if this fix it. if it does then buy the connector if not you can leave it as is or go back and plug it back.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
It's a common problem.

The starter solenoid connections are less than ideal — sometimes making contact sometimes not.

The solution is to zip-tie the connectors firmly to the solenoid housing to maintain good contact. All will be well again.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Yep, I agree with Shazaam. Fueling is absolutely not the problem.

The kickstand switch is bypassed if the bike is in neutral, so if the little green light shows up on the dash, you should be able to start the bike without holding the clutch with the kickstand down. If you can do that, then it's absolutely not the kickstand switch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is the case Tuned, so I'm hoping Shazaam! has slammed the nail on the head :)

Also, Ive seen the starter kit for these which I think might be a good investment

·
Registered
342 Posts
Same happened to my 1098 after a post prang rebuild , check the key surround that has the antitheft device code in it , make sure that it is situated high enough to be activated by the key. I scewed mine down to tight/low.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts