Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did it. I drove 1200 miles with an empty trailer to Naples, FL to test ride my 2005 999. The LeoVince exhaust had me at the first mile and I was lit up by the time I came back after test riding it. My comment was, "this is a proper Ducati, I must have it". I cheerfully purchased it for 7300, without the red key but with many goodies installed and only 1700 miles on the clock.

As soon as I loaded it up on my Kendall Trailer, without the knowledge that I now have about wheel chock being designed for 18 inch wheels, my 17 inch wheel slid nicely into place while smashing the front part of my fairing up against the rear end of that troll wheel chock from hell.

I made it home 1200 miles without any more horror and dropped the bike off for service and the trailer off for wheel chock modification, cutting 1 1/2 inches off the rear of the chock, as it cannot be mounted more rearward as many can be.

I'm thinking of NOT fixing the fairing which is slightly damaged at the tip and scratched, instead taping off that lower section and spraying it with black plastidip. It won't look pretty, but I bought this bike to freakin RIDE it, not merely admire how perfect it is.

I was depressed a long time over this mishap, but in reality, how often do we look at our scrotums to see how ugly they are? This bottom part of the fairing does not get much attention visually unless one is inspecting the bike for damage......so, the Hell with it! I'm not trying to sell the bike, I should not waste money fixing it and just address that issue if I ever DID intend to sell it and THEN fix it, right???

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Well Frank, congrats on making the purchase!

The fancy wheel chocks all hit the fairings on sport bikes. As you pointed out, they're designed for bigger bikes, not something so low to the ground. The lower fairing on every Ducati race bike I've ever loaded, always gets scraped up by the multiple wheel chocks I've owned. I gave up trying to make them work because all I did was carry race bikes and who cares about a scrape in the paint behind the front wheel?

Anyway, It's no big deal, happens to most of us who use wheel chocks. ;)

Happy New year!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Congrats!
And I for one my bike has to be in pristine condition especially if by design is a looker and being a Ducati it's a given.
I ride the hell out of mine but, she's always clean and neat, people thinks she's the garage queen but, when people see me ridding her they know she's the bitch not the queen.
Tips, scratches you can cover them with decals/stickers.
If the fairing are broken (and don't know the magnitude of the breakage) you have to be careful not to fix it because they will catch air at high speeds and could come off.
If the rupture is considerable and to fix it will be more than 500; I recommend you to buy some ebay race fairings to your liking and replace them.
The Joy of owning a Ducati besides of dealing with mechanical issues is to stare at her, have her well taken care and maintained and most important ride her like it was stolen.
In perspective; It's like a night out with the guys, you want to hook up with the hottest girl in the club or bar and your friends to notice.
Your bike is the hottest girl.;)
Good luck and keep rubber down.

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Well Frank, congrats on making the purchase!

The fancy wheel chocks all hit the fairings on sport bikes. As you pointed out, they're designed for bigger bikes, not something so low to the ground. The lower fairing on every Ducati race bike I've ever loaded, always gets scraped up by the multiple wheel chocks I've owned. I gave up trying to make them work because all I did was carry race bikes and who cares about a scrape in the paint behind the front wheel?

Anyway, It's no big deal, happens to most of us who use wheel
Wrong!! Double wrong!! I have hauled many different Ducatis , in trucks and in trailers, for thousands of miles, and for years and years ... using a Baxley Sport Chock.... such a good product, I have three.... Never a negative issue of any kind!! I don't know what kind "tooned" has purchased, knowing him, prolly some cheapo shit. But the Baxley Sport Chocks are gr8......
Highly recommended, and no, I am not connected to the manufacturer or any of that "tooned spam" bullshit,...just sayin....:shrug:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have my chock at a machine shop/welder who will cut the bitch down for me. I told him to shave off one and a half inches, which should clear it from doing any more damage.

Damn Troll chock from Hell

·
Registered
226 Posts
Before you chop it down, are you sure the chock was mounted correctly? I've loaded 996, 999, 1198 with both street and track fairings all without issues on my Kendall big bike single trailer.

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh yeah, Donnie (Ducpond) and I looked at it close......there are no adjustments at all to the chock going forward or back. It's an older trailer and Donnie said that they designed it for 18 in wheels not 17 in wheels, so there's the problem of not enough clearance with the smaller wheel.

The chock is huge! It won't affect the function a bit to chop away some of that damn Ducati Fairing eating shithole metal on the rear of it. I'm gonna touch up the damage and forget about it.

And that chock will never ever again eat fairing for lunch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts