Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm coming off a 2005 R1 with GYTR exhaust and thats what I'll mostly compare the 1098 too.

The first few words that came to mind on my 90+ mile ride home today were.

Deceptive

Tiny

Nimble

Quick

Intuitive

WOW

At first I thought it wasn't as fast or atleast it didnt "feel" as fast going down the hwy. Then I looked down and saw I was doing 104Mph.. I thought wow this thing is very deceptive. Keep in mind I was still keeping her below 7k RPM and modulating the throttle. This thing is fast and it creeps up on you.

It was a pretty windy day and I noticed how little wind protection I had in comparison to my R1. Then I realized how Tiny the 1098 feels in comparison to my R1. My R1 feels like a touring bike by comparison. The seating position was a bit more aggressive than my R1, but it wasnt bad.

After a few miles I started getting into some fast moving traffic. Here is where I noticed how nimble the 1098 was. I really felt like I could man-handle the bike because it felt so tiny. The steering is very quick and I was able to whip in and out of traffic much easier than I could on the R1.

Once I got off the highway and on to some twisties before my house, the same ones I took every day with my R1... thats where I noticed the biggest difference between my R1 and the 1098. The 1098 was on rails even on new tires. Even with the small dip in the road that always upset my R1, the 1098 handled it perfectly. I was so awestruck by how easily it handled those twisties I almost turned around to do it again.

After resting a bit I ran up to the local motorbike shop to get some polish/cleaning products. As I pulled up to this dealership which is a Honda/Kawa/Suz/Yammy dealership, I drew a crowd. Even the dealerships own salesmen came out to stare. One guy says "Oh My GOD! I've only seen these in magazine!!" Everyone greeted me and told me nice bike as I walked into the shop. Once I got my polish I came back out the crowd was asking all kinds of questions. It was pretty neat but I told them all I had just gotten it and hadn't had a chance to play with all the gadgets yet.

Now onto the not so good things..

The mirrors are useless. Now, I'd heard this from folks about the R1 but when I got it, I didnt seem to have a problem. So when I read the same thing abotu the 1098 mirrors I thought bah, they'll be fine. Well they are not. I elbows and thats about it..

I did experience the "Stall" issue that a lot of folks have been reporting. I was at a light in neutral when the bike just shut off. I was able to turn it on right away with no problems. At one point it did it two or three times while I waited in traffic. I'm not sure if its temp related or what the deal is, I am running Termi slip ons.

The clutch is hard to pull. Here again I read the same thing about the R1 and while it was a bit hard its nothing like the 1098. It was fine until I got into traffic as I made my way to the local Honda/Kawa/Suz shop to get some polish/cleaners. Like anything it will just take some getting used too.

Overall I am really impressed with this bike. The looks, how tiny it feels, the amazing handling. Up to this point the R1 was the best bike I had owned and I've owned a lot. At first blush I think the 1098 may have unseated my beloved R1.

G

·
(The mirrors are useless. Now, I'd heard this from folks about the R1 but when I got it, I didnt seem to have a problem. So when I read the same thing abotu the 1098 mirrors I thought bah, they'll be fine. Well they are not. I elbows and thats about it.. )

At the start I was thinking of drawing cars on my forearms so at least it would appear that I was looking behind, now I just kick my elbow out a bit and look under my arm and through behind. trouble is now I find I'm doing that on my other bikes and blocking the view.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
cronn said:
The clutch is hard to pull. Here again I read the same thing about the R1 and while it was a bit hard its nothing like the 1098. It was fine until I got into traffic as I made my way to the local Honda/Kawa/Suz shop to get some polish/cleaners. Like anything it will just take some getting used too.
I can help you fix that little problem. Buy the STM slave I have up for sale! $175 FREE shipping with a FREE ($10) bleeder kit! The STM slave cylinder will help reduce that clutch effort by 25%. If you're interested here's the post:

http://www.ducati1098.net/forum/showthread.php?t=391

I have two, one I purchased for myself (for my soon to arrive 1098) and another was purchased by a friend of mine. He sold his triple nine (saving up for the 1098) so at this moment he would rather have $$$ in his hands for his bike than any aftermarket parts.

Figured I would offer it, so this way you can see the benefits and possibly post your experience up here on this forum. EVERY Duc that I have owned, I have upgraded the slave. It's well worth it!

Drop me a line if you want it....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Great post thanks for the insight. Keep us up to date on the goods as well as the not so goods.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TexasKid said:
The mirrors...you have to raise your arms and look under them...along the side of your body. haha

yeah I did that on the way home but even then its not like I can quickly peek at my mirror and move over. You have to go through all these movements and even then looking directly behind you and not so much whats to your left or right respectively.

I had to do something like this on the R1, tuck my elbows in and I could see what was in the next lane. So far with the 1098 its not this easy. I'll continue to adjust them till I find a spot that works best.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I might take you up on that Slave Cylinder, my wrist is killing me today. I'll let ya know. Still trying to get over the WHOOHOO ITs here Feeling!!

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I know the feeling....

Mines been in my possession just over a week and I haven't been able to ride it yet for a couple of reasons...1) it's been too cold and wet...streets are still a little salty and I don't want any of it clinging to the underside of my Termi's, and 2) my insurance doen't kick in until May 15th (ouch, bad call on my part).

But look on the bright side? I've already put on 4 coats of McGuires on it. It's the only way I can enjoy it at the present time.
:laughing: :flash:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
cronn said:
I might take you up on that Slave Cylinder, my wrist is killing me today. I'll let ya know. Still trying to get over the WHOOHOO ITs here Feeling!!
No doubt! I hope I'll be having that feeling sometime soon, if my dealer would get my bike in.... ENJOY yours!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Good write up. Ducati riders have been complaining about mirrors on dukes since 1994. You'd think they could design something that is great looking and functional by now.

Still, it's only a hassle in the suburban streets.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Nice commentary and great pics. Nice to see what the Standard looks like with the Termis. Thanks.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is a quick update: DAY 2

So I took the bike out today for some more break in time. I'm not sure if its the color or the looks or maybe both but this bike turns heads. I felt like paparazzi chasing me or something because I had atleast 5 cars either riding along side me taking pictures with their phones/cameras or they were at the light grining big and taking pictures.

I headed towards some country back roads I usually ride with my R1. I knew I couldnt push the bike as much as I would like too but it was still fun non the less. The bike handles like a dream, I still am amazed as too how much different it is than the R1. The brake feel is a bit off I think it might need to be adjusted. I felt I could modulate the brake better on the R1. Even still trail braking was no problem.

As I left the country roads and got onto the main rural hwy back into town, the looks continued to come my way. I waved and nodded as folks gave me thumbs up. Attention can be good but it can also be bad... Needless to say I also got pulled over by the Sherriff as I was coming back from some country rodes. I knew I wasnt speeding but sure enough he still came after me. He had all kinds of questions about the bike although I dont think he was a bike nut. I just got the bike this Sat so consequently it wasnt in the DMV records yet so he couldnt give me a ticket. He alleged I was going 75 in a 65 but I know I wasnt. So I thank'd him and rode off.

Well as I started getting back into town and came to a stop light, the bike shut off "stalled" again. I was at a complete stop, in neutral sitting there enjoying the sound of the termi's when poof it shuts off. This happened yesterday so I just tried cranking it and expected it to start. Well this time it didnt start. It sorta did this slow crank deal and the check engine light came on. I tried several times but it wouldnt turn over. I got off the bike and walked it to the shoulder. The light turned green and the cars went by. I then used the crosswalk to walk the bike over to the other side trying to get the gas station. Good thing this thing is light and walking it was easy. Once I got into the gas station, I tried cranking it again and it fired right up?!?!?

So two days of ownership, I've had the bike die on me about 10-14 times each time while at a complete stop in neutral. Today it wouldnt crank over and I had to walk it about 20 yards to the service station. I know these issues will be taken care off and its not just me having them. But it kinda ruins the overall New Ducati owner experience. I've never had these type of issues with any two day old bike I have owned.

In the mean time I'll still ride it as it is a blast to ride. Nothing I've owned compares to it. I can't wait till they figure out what is causing the stall issue.

·
Registered
337 Posts
CRONN---
1) Are those Termi Slip Ons or the Full System?
2) Have you gotten ANY kind of answer from your dealer re the stalling issue?
3) Do you still have the OEM battery installed?
4) Do you put the bike on a charger/reconditioner when you're not riding?

Thanks for your commentary. I've still got 3 weeks to go for mine, so I'm trying to figure all this stuff out before it gets here.

·
Registered
143 Posts
CRONN. I would also like to know if the starter turns the engine over at normal speed when it wont start, or if it will not turn over at all?

·
Registered
143 Posts
NEXT QUESTION. Has anyone tried to disconect the O2 sensor to see if the ECU has a back up mode (limp) and then see if it still stalls?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DUCMILLE said:
CRONN---
1) Are those Termi Slip Ons or the Full System?
2) Have you gotten ANY kind of answer from your dealer re the stalling issue?
3) Do you still have the OEM battery installed?
4) Do you put the bike on a charger/reconditioner when you're not riding?

Thanks for your commentary. I've still got 3 weeks to go for mine, so I'm trying to figure all this stuff out before it gets here.
1) I have slip ons with baffles out.

2) No anwser yet from Dealer, I just picked it up Sat and it did it on the way home. I called the dealer and they said they didnt have this problem during set up. They said they can take a look at it when I bring it in for my first service.

3) Gonna say yes because I just got the bike Sat, havent even had it three full days yet.

4) I havent yet because one, I havent figured out where the battery is at yet. I noticed there is a battery tender like connector on the left hand side of the bike. I'm not sure if thats for the battery or not. Honestly I didnt think I would need to put it on a tender being that the bike is brand new.

Kesagami,

Normally each time it has stalled while I am at a stop it cranks right up. Yesterday however it didnt. I was at a stop and I pushed the button it grumbled a time or two then the check engine light came on. I turned the key off then back on and tried again, same thing.

Gonna try adjusting the idle speed up a bit higher to see if this helps. Its raining so I probably wont get to test it until something later this week.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Don't let the dealer give you any crap. There are tons and tons of people that are having this issue. The bike is brand new and there is no way in hell that it should not work correctly.

Jason

1 - 18 of 18 Posts