Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought this kit from Josh at Gotham a month or so ago.. .have been waiting to get it installed. I bought the 55W 6000k kit.

First impressions are that the kit is very well made. Here is what you get:

I started by pulling the bulb caps off and drilling the 1" hole in them. I used a speedbore bit, since its only plastic

Pull your bulbs out, install the new ones supplied with the kit.

This is my 1 major complaint with the kit. You plug the 2 exposed leads into your factory wiring. It would be much better if Gotham included a weatherpack connector for this as well. The only thing I can think of is that there isnt enough space in the light to have the other half of a weatherpack. The included spades are the correct size- I just worry about vibration causing them to pull out of the OEM weatherpack

Hid bulb in, factory wiring in light, cover re-installed:

Literally the worst part of this is finding a place to install the ballasts and ignitors. After looking at a few links that Josh sent to me, these little stiffner plates behind the side panels are the only viable place. I use 3M dual lock velcro.. its fantastic stuff. Everything is plug and play:

Everything back together. I had extra of the woven mesh from my hotrod, so I dressed the exposed wires from the bulb cap. The final look.

My camera distorts the color, it is not green in real life:

I rode last night and it is completley different! This is single handily the best thing I have done to this bike. Again, my only complaint is the lack of a weatherpack connector for the OEM harness to plug into. Other than that, it went smoothly and well worth the money

My highbeam HID is not working, so I PM'd Josh this AM. Hoping to get it sorted ASAP.

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
Nice write up, I put mine under the nose (cluster). Less hassle with the wires, makes for a very clean install. I've never had the leads vibrate off but they do pull off anytime I open the dust cap.

2 years under the cluster no electrical issues with the cluster.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Very clean install. The bulbs use those spades because they can be used for a few different bulb types aside from H11. When the kits were first made they had specific connectors and bulbs for H11, H9 and H8 but discovered that by going to a shorter bulb and the spade connectors, one bulb could do all three.

Nicely done on the holes and ballast install. I ended up putting my ballasts up in the nose over the lights. I kinda like your better.

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
It must have been your thread I was looking at. I was going to put mine there as well, but decided against it in the event I needed to get to them.
That's the thing that baffles me these are not items you "service" (ballast)and taking the nose off is pretty easy if you needed to.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I also put mine on the side cover. But I purchased wide extensions so that I could run the wires up and over the ram air tubes down to the side panel. That way when the ram air covers are installed you can't see any wires.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I've had the problem with them staying in on multiple bikes now not just with the Gotham kit. With other bikes I cut the bulb socket off without a problem. I debated for an hour and ended up cutting it off but far enough up the harness it would be hidden if I were to put it back to oem although I doubt I will ever do that.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Did you guys do anything about the hi-beam light though? with my hids, hi-beam is pointing up in the treas. I wish I could somehow get it to point down like the low beam.

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
Did you guys do anything about the hi-beam light though? with my hids, hi-beam is pointing up in the treas. I wish I could somehow get it to point down like the low beam.
That's the factory projector nothing to do with the HID's other than you can actually see the beam now....

·
Registered
248 Posts
you'll never get it to look exactly like the low beam (without some significant work) - the blocking plate that cuts out the top ~1/2 of the light projection on the low beam is inverted on the high beam projector (you should be able to see this if you put your high beam on and cover one headlight at a time)

that said, you can change the vertical and horizontal orientation of each projector using the screws near each headlight cap - check your manual for more details.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.