Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sunday I took my 2012 848 Evo Corse Edition on a few hundred mile ride with a few buddies. One buddy was on a brand new GSX-R 750, and the other two were on Harley's. I was just going out for a day of mixed riding between highway and backroads through PA. Anyways, I got about 100 miles from home, stopped at a gas station with the fellas for a drink, and then got back on our bikes. They all started their bikes and mine wouldn't start. Long story short, I get the bike towed home back to Jersey. I took off both fairings, and I found a hole in my upper coolant line. I checked my system and there was no coolant left. My coolant hose burst, and I lost all my coolant and didn't even realize it while cruising on the highway. I always check my gauges, and I never went over 230º all day. Now i'm dealing with head gasket issues, and who knows what else. I don't see coolant floating on the oil in the site glass, but when I take my oil cap off I can smell coolant, so i'm guessing i've got coolant in my oil. Also both heads turned yellow from the heat.

I have a few pictures i'd like to upload if/when I figure out how. A little background on my bike.. I bought it off of a 55 year old man who bought it, put 900 miles on it, and realized it wasn't for him. (he lives in NYC) I bought the bike out right in cash, I have the title, and Im just about 7,000 miles. The bike had a service done at Ducati at about 600 miles. I then had the chain tightened around 2,000 miles, and then I personally changed the oil around 3,500 miles.

I have no idea what to do. Replace the whole motor? 1040 kit? Does a 1098 motor fit? Get Ducati involved because the hose shouldn't have burst?! Just start parting the bike out? Super frustrated. Any input would be great. Also need to learn how to upload pics.. haha.

Thanks Fellas,
-Matty

P.S. - If any one has any solid recommendations, please let me know.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I have no idea what to do. Replace the whole motor? 1040 kit? Does a 1098 motor fit? Get Ducati involved because the hose shouldn't have burst?! Just start parting the bike out? Super frustrated. Any input would be great. Also need to learn how to upload pics.. haha.Thanks Fellas, -Matty
Sorry to hear about your troubling experience.. breaking down truly sucks.

First thing is to replace those hoses and refill with quality coolant.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Well define won't start? Does the starter work? Will it not turn over? The oil will still help it cool and keep it lubricated so I wouldn't think it would have seized.
Check your rad for cracks too by the way. And follow the guidance you've already gotten. Check to see if it's completely dry (unlikely given the location of the cracked hose). Replace the hoses and refill. Then give her a go if it's not seized

·
Registered
58 Posts
Your bike is gorgeous! I'd try everything I could to get it back on the road before I'd consider breaking it for parts.

Just a couple of things to try. Put it on a stand with tranny in 6th and see if you can turn the motor. Check the oil. If the motor's free and the oil looks good, replace hoses, refill with coolant and see if you can get it running.

Good luck!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How did u not see Smell the coolant? Anyway is the system bone dry pull the drain on left side see if anything comes out
No I couldn't smell coolant. I didn't notice, and neither did my three buddies riding behind me. The system was almost bone dry.

Well define won't start? Does the starter work? Will it not turn over? The oil will still help it cool and keep it lubricated so I wouldn't think it would have seized.
Check your rad for cracks too by the way. And follow the guidance you've already gotten. Check to see if it's completely dry (unlikely given the location of the cracked hose). Replace the hoses and refill. Then give her a go if it's not seized

I don't see any point in replacing the hose and refilling the system if the motor doesn't run and i'll haveto pull it out. Rad seems fine though. It doesn't run but the starter does work, but it doesn't sound normal. I'll haveto take a video today after work.

Your bike is gorgeous! I'd try everything I could to get it back on the road before I'd consider breaking it for parts.

Just a couple of things to try. Put it on a stand with tranny in 6th and see if you can turn the motor. Check the oil. If the motor's free and the oil looks good, replace hoses, refill with coolant and see if you can get it running.

Good luck!

Thanks, I have a lot of time and a nice chunk of money into this bike, I'd love to have it back on the road. I was supposed to be getting a new 1299S in two weeks, and honestly.. this makes me not even want to own another Ducati. 7,000 miles and the hose bursts, cooks my motor, and Ducati most likely won't do anything for me? Seems a little messed up to me. I see you guys keep saying replace hoses and put coolant in it, but i'd like to see it run before I was my time and the coolant. lol.

Thanks all, I'll mess with it a little today after work and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
If a simply thing like a coolant hose leak has you upset, can't imagine how you would react to some of the other common Ducati issues..

:popcorn:

Reactions: gunther19820

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If a simply thing like a coolant hose leak has you upset, can't imagine how you would react to some of the other common Ducati issues..

:popcorn:

Coolant hose leak? I guess you should read my original post again. I was riding with no coolant for who knows how many miles. Head gaskets are wasted, there is coolant in the oil. You're telling me to put coolant in it and start it? The bike won't run. I already mentioned that.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Sucks. Id get another 848evo motor off ebay or something. Not cheap, but you'll get hammered if you try to trade it in like it is....

Or, part it out piece by piece, youll get your $$ back that way...

Good luck.

My 2012 848 Corse was the best bike ive ever owned...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sucks. Id get another 848evo motor off ebay or something. Not cheap, but you'll get hammered if you try to trade it in like it is....

Or, part it out piece by piece, youll get your $$ back that way...

Good luck.

My 2012 848 Corse was the best bike ive ever owned...
Thanks bro, I guess i'll start looking. I see they can be had in the $2,000 dollar range.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Coolant hose leak? I guess you should read my original post again. I was riding with no coolant for who knows how many miles. Head gaskets are wasted, there is coolant in the oil. You're telling me to put coolant in it and start it? The bike won't run. I already mentioned that.
I didn't see your head gasket and coolant in the oil comment posted in your original posting.

Reactions: mdomicolo

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jesus. thanks for the nightmare fuel...
If I were you, I'd replace the rad hoses with some nice aftermarket Samco houses or something equal in quality, if you haven't yet. Like I said.. I had no warning, and after it blew a hole in it, I kept riding with no signs of any problems.

I didn't see your head gasket and coolant in the oil comment posted in your original posting.
It's all good.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1st
Check with your dealer and Ducati what they have to say about this.

2nd
I wouldn't part it out. Get a second hand EVO engine, they aren't that expensive.

3rd
Take the engine apart and do a complete rebuild of the engine.

Btw in regards to your question if a 1098 engine will fit: yes.

lol, Awesome thanks. And the closest dealer to me is pretty shitty. I'm gonna haveto make a trip to go to a better one, but I think i'll try that. Thanks buddy.

·
Registered
346 Posts
sounds like the motor is cooked if the heads changed colors. I'm thinking your temp reading didn't go over 230 because the cooling system was run dry so the temp sensor wasn't reading the proper temperature. It probably got much hotter than 230.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here is my virtually "cost free" troubleshooting steps to see where you stand

You're gonna have to get a new hose regardless on how you look at this. and also an oil change. So bite that bullet. It appears in the picture of your hose that its not a complex piece of radiator hose (huge curves, and lengths) you might be able to head to NAPA and see what heater hoses they have on the shelf you might be able to cut into what you need and that's certainly cheaper than a Ducati part number.

Use water instead of coolant to diagnose the issue, that way you don't spend money on coolant (which really, is inexpensive in the first place but I see your point.)

go to autozone and rent a coolant test set. if you have never rented tools from an auto parts store, this is the way it works.

customer rents tool for X amount of money, when tool is returned, every cent is returned to the customer.

with the new hose fitted, use the coolant test set (don't forget to plug the overflow line!). This will tell you if there are any leaks or in your case if the water pump, or head gaskets are shot. I would do this before you changed the oil because if it bleeds into your new oil, you just wasted it.

if the coolant system holds pressure your chances are looking better.

up to this point you have only spent money on the replacement hose, oil and gas to the autoparts store.

if you want one more piece of mind after the coolant pressure test, rent a compression tester at the same auto parts store(don't forget to charge the battery, open the throttle and remove both spark plugs!) or if you have access to a leakdown tester and know how to use it, even better. If you have good compression chances are that your head gasket is good. Remember there is the possibility of coolant and water in your oil so don't run the engine without first changing the oil to avoid costly bearing damage.

so if your coolant system doesn't leak, and you have good compression... you're looking good. If there is nothing abnormal here, next step would be to figure out why it wont start. Since you already have the bike mostly apart troubleshooting is a little bit easier.

this process, in my mind at least, is better than service center shop rates which one hour will cost significantly more than what I just suggested and they will definitely need more than one hour. And if it turns out to be something catastrophic, you have already removed a good majority of items just to get the engine out of the frame.

sounds like the motor is cooked if the heads changed colors. I'm thinking your temp reading didn't go over 230 because the cooling system was run dry so the temp sensor wasn't reading the proper temperature. It probably got much hotter than 230.
^^^^^This is a pretty good point.

Lets say the head gaskets are blown? id say rebuild the motor. It will be round about the same cost and "new" not "used" from ebay. and you keep the same engine serial number which is important to collectors, and in some cases registration. Look into DucShop for rebuilds, especially performance rebuilds. Their quoted rebuild on the website is near the price of a "used" ebay engine.

Lastly, Ducati's are beautiful and finicky. Just the way it is. Keep calm about it and understand that anything that breaks can be fixed.... well almost anything.

Hope this helps.... and makes sense.

-Miles

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.