21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts

To be honest, my wish list order is now:

1. MV Agusta Dragster RR in any Limited Edition
  2. SDR
  3. Tuono Factory
All fun, all mad. I still keep looking at the Street Fighter V4S - I have been a Ducati fan for ages.
Just sold my Scrambler and had a Panigale 899 a few years ago.

The SDR is leading the Poll comfortably! (y)
Hands down a '17 and up Tuono Factory is the best bike.

The Street Fighter and V4S run unbearably hot on your legs unless you never go under 40 miles an hour.... ever or it's 70° or less. The V4S is geared ridiculously high for the street, it's a good bike if you only use it at the track but on the street truth be told it's really bad I don't care what b*** people say I own one I know what it's like.

The Tuono Factory handles better than the V4S, it's just better in every possible way. How do I know I own both and 13 other bikes. Get a '17 or newer Tuono Factory put the airbox mod on and Flash the ECU it will be as fast as the V4S without the Heat and without the obnoxious low speed exhaust drone sound that requires earplugs to alleviate.... and it will handle better.

The SDR is an oversized supermoto, I'd rather ride a real supermoto, one of my KTM 690 SMC's when I feel like a supermoto day.

The Tuono Factory is very much a SBK... an SDR is a supermoto'ish torque monster crude type bike compared to the Tuono.

If you have to ask people what style of bike to ride I don't think you fit either category... maybe a moped is what you need.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Cheers. You must have a nice collection of bikes.

As it happens, I went with my heart and got the MV Agustsa Dragster RR - which is a lot of fun but likely the worst technical bike of the lot :)

THAT was the style of riding I wanted so am very happy but any other others are close in their way.

Rode the new Brutale 1000RR too. A lot of money and not any faster than the others.
I was aware the Tuono was likely the best bike (though scare stories were thrown at me :rolleyes:) but once I had seen the MV close up, it was all over for the others. As it happens, I took the MV on the track at Brands Hatch and it was surprisingly good.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm very glad you found what YOU wanted, enjoy it!

The older Aprilia's 1000's I wouldn't touch as many have valve & cam issues. The 1100's overall seem pretty reliable. I read horror stories about KTM 690 cam & Rocker issues, it's way overblown I have (3) 690 SMC's and have had no issues but (1) bad stator after thousands of miles, not counting brake pads and a $.50 worn clutch slave O-Ring. I do all my own work so unless it's catastrophic engine damage caused by crappy parts, I could care less.

Fyi, I can give you scare stories about Ducati's also but problems are mostly poor quality control during assembly. I will say the Ducati Factory warranties SUCK, they deny almost everything no matter what you paid. I have two "R"s both had issues that Ducati couldn't and wouldn't fix... that I ultimately figured out and fixed myself at my expense. Not exactly the best way to treat a customer that has bought (4) bikes from them at a total cost of over $150k!

I HIGHLY discourage people buying Ducati's, most all are set up with crappy suspensions in one way or another from the Factory requiring major parts changes to get the them to handle optimally. Most Ducati owners buy for looks and quite frankly most can't ride for shit so are clueless!

Enjoy that MV!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yeah, of course, one always hears about the bad stuff!
My Panigale and Scrambler were faultless but, to be fair, I had the both less than a year and I never buy a bike older than 3 years old.

I would not have got this MV if it wasn't for the fact they are 30 minutes from me and they gave me a 4 year warranty.

As it happens, I will need a proper set-up for me on the MV and likely a new rear-set. I might a race shift to match my Blade actually , which kinda makes sense.

I have no doubt I will buy another Ducati at some point. The V4S plus a much needed aftermarket exhaust and usual bits pushes it to £25K / $30K dollars which is madness. Ha. I;d might as well get the MV Rush :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Been testing new bikes since your post myself and my heart is actually going for “gasp” a HD Fatboy lol. Completely different than anything I’ve looked at before but I guess that’s the point.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Been testing new bikes since your post myself and my heart is actually going for “gasp” a HD Fatboy lol. Completely different than anything I’ve looked at before but I guess that’s the point.
That is a bit shocking! :p
To be fair, I think HD is a brand that Americans grow up with, and remains extra special.

I have ridden a few and did actually consider a Speedster 48 with heavy custom bits.
In the end, I thought it just wasn't me and I was kidding myself.
It really is a bike meant for lonh , straight US roads on the whole.

I do like the style and I completely get why people love them. It's a different experience - just polar opposite of sports bikes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That is a bit shocking! :p
To be fair, I think HD is a brand that Americans grow up with, and remains extra special.

I have ridden a few and did actually consider a Speedster 48 with heavy custom bits.
In the end, I thought it just wasn't me and I was kidding myself.
It really is a bike meant for lonh , straight US roads on the whole.

I do like the style and I completely get why people love them. It's a different experience - just polar opposite of sports bikes.
I own a Ducati Monster 1200 and a Dyna Lowrider and once you realize you can't make a Harley into a Ducati and ride it for what it is a Harley can be nice ride. I recently purchased the Ducati however I spent years modifying the Harley, I appreciate the Harley more now that I have the Ducati if that makes sense.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yep, just different styles, different mentalities when you ride them.
I wouldn't say no to a heavily customised HD bobber of some sort in my garage.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts