Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting back into street riding after a 10-year hiatus. My old Honda leather jacket must have shrunk, because it doesn't fit quite right anymore... :p

Question: Leather or Textile?

My old Honda jacket (by Hein Gericke) was made of leather, was certainly well built... and weighed about 20 pounds... but it was hot as the gates of Hell in the Texas summer. I'm seeing all these textile jackets now... some with armor in them... and I was wondering if they are a reasonable alternative to the downsides of leather and the expense. I'm more concerned about how they protect in a crash... I can't imagine textile would protect as well as good leather, which makes it a 'why bother?' but I don't really know, and can't tell from reading the item descriptions (not that the listing would say 'this sucks in a crash.')

The other alternative would be perforated leather... and I don't really know anything about it, either. Good or bad?

I need to make a jacket purchase in the next two weeks that will take me through the summer, I'll come up with something else for winter travel later.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Agree with bdaroci. However, textile jackets are much better these days than they have been in the past. A quality textile jacket can approach the abrasion protection of leather, and offer excellent summer breathability. So yes, they are a reasonable alternative to leather especially if you're on a budget.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agree with bdaroci. However, textile jackets are much better these days than they have been in the past. A quality textile jacket can approach the abrasion protection of leather, and offer excellent summer breathability. So yes, they are a reasonable alternative to leather especially if you're on a budget.
Certainly not all textiles are equal... any in particular you can think of? I've got quite a few shops near me to try on jackets, but once you take away the Joe Rocket stuff, there isn't much left.

On a bike with no fairing.....def leather
I hadn't considered that... good thinking!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Easy. Both......

I have a Dainese Hydra Flux that I absolutely love on hot days. It fits incredibly well, breathes better than anything else I've tried, and doesn't get buffeted around by wind at all. While not up to good leathers, protection is great for a mesh jacket.

Dainese Hydra Flux D-Dry Jacket - RevZilla

·
Registered
12,889 Posts
One thing most don't consider on an open bike is rocks and pebbles. The ability of leather to spread out the force of a small rock hitting your shoulder or arm is far better than that of textile. At slower speeds it's not really a factor but anything around 100mph mark and it can sting.

·
Court Jester
11,688 Posts
One thing most don't consider on an open bike is rocks and pebbles. The ability of leather to spread out the force of a small rock hitting your shoulder or arm is far better than that of textile. At slower speeds it's not really a factor but anything around 100mph mark and it can sting.
Bugs hurt too

·
Registered
457 Posts
Dainese makes quality gear and sometimes you can luck out finding closeouts. I have both a textile and perf leather. Love them both. I always prefer leather but the textile is of high enough quality where I'm confident it would get me through a low to medium speed off.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Motowheels is having closouts on dainese stuff right now take a look

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Around north Dallas, where everything is under construction and rock haulers abound... rocks and debris is a real concern. I'd been whacked pretty good on the old bike, but, as I say, the Honda jacket is like wearing body armor and it wasn't an issue.

And seagulls.... hurt a lot
I have to admit... I haven't been there. Yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a set of each leather, textile, mesh. Perf leather for daily and mountain rides. Textile tour set up for colder and wet weather. Mesh tour set up for those week longs.
I just think the textile/mesh is a once and done kind of gear. Wear as good leather will last a few downs.

·
Registered
200 Posts
FI have a full leather dainese jacket and an older alpinestars smx jacket which it part textile and part perf leather and part solid leather. I love this jacket because it provides the protection on the areas that really matter but also allows good airflow on the rest of my body specially during the hot summer times here in northern cali. I'm not sure about the newer design but you might want to check it out. Excuse the bugs on my jacket.

Attachments

·
Registered
448 Posts
Dainese leather jacket for sale, brand new!

I'm selling a brand-new Dainese leather jacket I bought a couple weeks ago from Dainese San Francisco, phone order.

It's a 50/60, my usual size in Dainese, but this one runs a bit small. It still has all the tags, never worn on bike, just tried on at home. See my Ebay auction if you'r interested (link below)
I'm selling it for a good bit less than I paid. It's gotta go!

This would fit a guy who wears a 46/48 US jacket normally.

Best,
Greg

Dainese G R Twin Pelle Leather Motorcycle Brand New w Tags 50 60 Runs Small | eBay

·
Registered
126 Posts
The r-twin is a nice jacket and that's a good price! Too bad it doesn't fit me.
I'm selling a brand-new Dainese leather jacket I bought a couple weeks ago from Dainese San Francisco, phone order.

It's a 50/60, my usual size in Dainese, but this one runs a bit small. It still has all the tags, never worn on bike, just tried on at home. See my Ebay auction if you'r interested (link below)
I'm selling it for a good bit less than I paid. It's gotta go!

This would fit a guy who wears a 46/48 US jacket normally.

Best,
Greg

Dainese G R Twin Pelle Leather Motorcycle Brand New w Tags 50 60 Runs Small | eBay

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm stuck between Perf leather and non-Perf leather right now. My current a star jacket is Perf and the perforation is nice in the hot weather. I notice that the perforation does not allow it to get down to as cold temps as a non Perf would though. I'm over my current jacket and the new jacket I want is offered both ways. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm stuck between Perf leather and non-Perf leather right now. My current a star jacket is Perf and the perforation is nice in the hot weather. I notice that the perforation does not allow it to get down to as cold temps as a non Perf would though. I'm over my current jacket and the new jacket I want is offered both ways. Any thoughts?
At this point I'm looking for a textile or perforated leather jacket... with a zip out liner. I think that would be the best way to go.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts