Ducati.org forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
All about the perf.

Had an A* Jaws Perf leather jacket, removalable inner liner. Was a solid jacket until I got a deal I couldn't pass up on for an Dainese Super Rider Perf jacket. Only thing that I thought was bogus is its a pricey jacket, and doesn't come with a back protector. Lol.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have been using this Dainese Crono Textile jacket for almost a year of daily riding, it has a removable liner. it has been a great jacket.

Dainese Crono Textile Jacket - RevZilla

I dont really like mesh jackets at all. textile is great, perforated leather is good, but never owned one. I have a A* full leather jacket that I never wear because it catches the wind and kinda blows me around...dont really like that. lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
Most of the textile from Dainese are not going to protect you from a bad slide. Some of their jackets have a leather and textile. If you want amazing textile with serious versatility, look to companies like Motoport. They'll make you custom fitted outfits.

Any of Dainese's leather jackets will do well. I have the Razon perf jacket that is good in the summer and with the thermal liner in, good enough for winter. For technical riding, however, nothing beats my RS Taichi GMX Motion jacket and pants. Better perf than Dainese, more movement, and lighter leather. No one thinks about RS Taichi, but they make some top quality gear. This is coming from a Dainese nut!

·
Registered
85 Posts
All this chat about jackets...
What about your ass? :moon:
That's where most of your sliding is going to happen when you bail off.
Jeans including armored ones are going to peel off like a banana peel. Nothing worse than asphalt in your cheeks. :bawling:
Full 1-piece perforated leather suit and a back pack with a change of cloths is your best protection. ATGATT

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think STG has the RS Taichi GMX lite jacket on sale right now. I have the GMX motion, and it moves a ton of air. We've had heat indexes around 110 here for the past month, and I still wear that jacket every day.

As far as I can remember the GMX lite is basically the motion, just without the speed hump.

RS Taichi GMX Lite Vented Leather Jacket RSJ829 - Sportbike Track Gear

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think STG has the RS Taichi GMX lite jacket on sale right now. I have the GMX motion, and it moves a ton of air. We've had heat indexes around 110 here for the past month, and I still wear that jacket every day.

As far as I can remember the GMX lite is basically the motion, just without the speed hump.

RS Taichi GMX Lite Vented Leather Jacket RSJ829 - Sportbike Track Gear

The main difference with the lite is that it doesn't have the huge motion elasticated leather panels on the sides. These panels are what make the jacket magic. On the lite, there is a stretch panel. It's that scholar material (sp?). It may work out but I'm not sure. It also has a little bit of leather extension which makes the jacket longer. I don't know if I like that. I would try them both and see which feels good.

I just did a track day with the GMX Motion jacket and Arrow pants. They performed amazingly! I also rode 5 hours each way to and from the track. My only gripe was that my Shoei GT Air helmet's chin strap kept punching my neck when I turned left. I may remove the small collar of the jacket.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Get both. I have three so far and looking to buy a fourth:
a non-perforated vintage leather for spring, fall and for wearing with riding jeans
a leather/mesh 2peice suit that's also waterproof when used with the interior liner
A mesh textile for urban hot weather

A 2 piece track suit to come.

Attachments

·
Banned
128 Posts
Jackets

I own 10 Alpinestar leather jackets,,they are pricey but just about the best in the business,,if price does matter,,I also can recommend Sidici, I own 2 of their leather jackets,,I like them,,they are cheaper then the Alpines,,,I also would recommend Dianese,,,I own 2 of their jackets,,all leather,,very good good quality,,but expensive,,I prefer leather to textile,,just my 2 cents

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I bought an alpinestar jacket and got to wear it less then 10 times and the stitching is falling apart. I'm glad I have a bomb ass dealer that is making it right but my next one will not start with an A!!!!

·
Court Jester
11,547 Posts
I bought an alpinestar jacket and got to wear it less then 10 times and the stitching is falling apart. I'm glad I have a bomb ass dealer that is making it right but my next one will not start with an A!!!!

I bought a used two piece alpinestar off of CL. It held up very well considering the age, it also performed outstanding in my crash. You might of got a lemon or maybe their quality is slipping.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I believe older alpinestar is amazing. Much of what I read is alpinestar customer service really took the slide down and now by the time you pay to ship something back and then the return it's a lost cause unless it's a $2500 suit. My jacket was $150 (closeout) and my dealer said bring it back and we will get you something else. I'm going to jump on that for a better deal on a better jacket.

·
Registered
73 Posts
From my experience A-stars is hit or miss. I'm currently riding in gp-tech gloves (got them on closeout for the price of gp-pros) and I'm coming from a pair of gp-pros that I've put well over 20k miles on and still hold up perfectly. They've been through all kinds of weather too. I have a buddy who bought a pair (of gp-pros) and the velcro came off within a few thousand miles with no weather but Missouri sun. I also have an a-stars gp tech jacket and some of the older gen super tech r boots. All of my gear has been amazing so far. If I crash I'll post pics over all the gear so we can see how well it holds up!

·
Court Jester
11,547 Posts
It's not uncommon for brands to have their issues. Im in the hunt for a new suit and I will probably try dainese. It's really just to try another brand, the alpinestar fits pretty good but it's also a 2 piece I'm going to try a one piece next.

·
Registered
52 Posts
+1 on the hit or miss issue with brand name riding gear.
I've had an issue with a pair of Astars leather pants opening up at a seam and once had a pair of SIDI boots fall apart the first week I wore them. I thought both of these were more the unusual case than anything else and I just think it's possible to get a single bad product out of a line of x number.

My favorite riding jacket last year was an ICON Automag Factory Akrapovic perforated leather. That jacket was just so comfortable I think I wore it out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Tchase.. If you're looking for a new suit, give RS Taichi a try. I used Daines for 10 years, Alpinestars for 6 month, and have been with Taichi for the past 5 years. They fit great, and the mobility and protection are top notch.

I think Skagit Powersports in Burlington is a dealer.

·
Registered
868 Posts
It's not uncommon for brands to have their issues. Im in the hunt for a new suit and I will probably try dainese. It's really just to try another brand, the alpinestar fits pretty good but it's also a 2 piece I'm going to try a one piece next.
take a look at Comet leathers, you can get a very nice custom suit for a very good price.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts