Ducati.org forum banner

Need ducati advice 899 panigale vs other

8K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  rubbish 
#1 ·
Kay so for my 24th birthday I'm going to buy a bike
I'm obsessed and am in love with the 899 panigale
But the catch is I'm going to daily drive this.
I will be doing 100 miles a day so I estimate putting on 25k
Miles a year.

So this is where you come in folks...
What should I expect to pay for maintence
Money won't be an issue but I would like to know roughly how much I will invest

Or should I just get a r6 and let that do the dirty work of the daily driving
I would love to hear your guys input
Especially from 899 daily drivers.
Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Riding in traffic is awful and if you do it, you will have papayes forearms; the clutch is heavy and the bike is very torquee. As for putting that many miles on the bike, be prepared to do the service and shell out 1-1.5k every 7.5k miles. Monster would be a better choice for commuting purposes and will be much more comfortable. Just my few cents

#4 ·
Didn't they up the service to 15k miles? The monster 6/796/1100 was 7500 as well as the 10/1198/848 series. Just wanted to make sure. I agree with what you said. It will be really hard to commute and a monster or diavel would be better for those days

#5 ·
Hey DukeDom, welcome to the forums!

Well, it's a very common question and it really depends on a lot of factors. I use to ride over 100 miles per day on my 748 and 848, which were both nowhere near as well setup as the 899 stock. I could barely manage, I'd get off and my muscles would be all sore, my ass would hurt and I'd be covered in sweat from the bike's heat.

After my so-so street riding superbike experiences, I gave up trying to make superbikes work on the street and bought a naked bike. Holy shit, what a difference. A nice upright machine was what the doctor ordered. Much easier to ride long distances, much more comfortable in every stretch of the imagination from body position, to wrist's and even heat, the naked bikes don't retain it nearly as much.

My vote is neither bike, buy a nice naked bike like a Multistrada, Hypermotard or Monster. If you want a killer bike, S4RS is the best they come! :)

#11 ·
Sounds like this would be your first bike, are you sure about 100 miles of daily travel without any prior MC experiences?

Hopefully you live in an area that permits comfortable year-round riding.. otherwise look into those particulars as well.

Best of luck to you with the 899 purchase :)

#13 ·
You guys gotta stop being wimps.

I commute 50 daily in heavy traffic on my 848 EVO.

But then again, I'm a total badass, so my advice to purchase it and be uncomfortable should be taken with a grain of salt. :yo:

In all seriousness, I do actually commute in heavy traffic daily. The bikes do get hot, at least the undertail corse models do. However, assuming you are smart and wear pants, it's bearable. I love riding my bike daily. I have been riding my whole life so the arm pain could just be something I'm used to from MX.

I say, if you don't plan on spending that 100 in heavy traffic (god forbid you did)...then go for it!

If you hate it, hey, you have your weekend toy.

#14 ·
My vote would be for a streetfighter 848 gives you the superbike experience on a more comfortable platform. I used to be hardcore like mgual1 and commute and basically live off a motorcycle, but have found that I am getting torn up after a few hours in the saddle. These days looking to get a streetfighter 1098S for my next ride.

#23 ·
All Ducati superbikes are designed with the track as their focus, not commuting...
The young studs manage the riding position better than us older folks.
Another consideration is do you have any decent roads on your commute or is it all just one red light after another. When I ride the Pani and it's nothing but straight flat roads I ask myself why am I wasting my tires and racking up mileage and not enjoying the ride. So in my opinion commuting on a Pani is wasting a great bike. I say find a better compromise

#26 · (Edited)
There's no convincing me that the 848 and 1198 are identicle riding ergos. As I think more about the 899 I sat on then directly onto the 1199 the seat to bar relationship (verticle) was more extreme on the smaller bike as did the 848. Could be that's thicker seat foam, lower clip ons, or someone cranked the rear preload up.

#29 ·
I don't believe its been mentioned here but the rider's height will be a factor in how well you tolerate commuting or longer rides. And I must add that low speeds on the Pani, hate it. But as soon as you get the opportunity to open up the throttle:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.