Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kay so for my 24th birthday I'm going to buy a bike
I'm obsessed and am in love with the 899 panigale
But the catch is I'm going to daily drive this.
I will be doing 100 miles a day so I estimate putting on 25k
Miles a year.

So this is where you come in folks...
What should I expect to pay for maintence
Money won't be an issue but I would like to know roughly how much I will invest

Or should I just get a r6 and let that do the dirty work of the daily driving
I would love to hear your guys input
Especially from 899 daily drivers.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Kay so for my 24th birthday I'm going to buy a bike
I'm obsessed and am in love with the 899 panigale
But the catch is I'm going to daily drive this.
I will be doing 100 miles a day so I estimate putting on 25k
Miles a year.

So this is where you come in folks...
What should I expect to pay for maintence
Money won't be an issue but I would like to know roughly how much I will invest

Or should I just get a r6 and let that do the dirty work of the daily driving
I would love to hear your guys input
Especially from 899 daily drivers.
Thanks in advance.

Riding in traffic is awful and if you do it, you will have papayes forearms; the clutch is heavy and the bike is very torquee. As for putting that many miles on the bike, be prepared to do the service and shell out 1-1.5k every 7.5k miles. Monster would be a better choice for commuting purposes and will be much more comfortable. Just my few cents

·
Registered
542 Posts
Riding in traffic is awful and if you do it, you will have papayes forearms; the clutch is heavy and the bike is very torquee. As for putting that many miles on the bike, be prepared to do the service and shell out 1-1.5k every 7.5k miles. Monster would be a better choice for commuting purposes and will be much more comfortable. Just my few cents
Didn't they up the service to 15k miles? The monster 6/796/1100 was 7500 as well as the 10/1198/848 series. Just wanted to make sure. I agree with what you said. It will be really hard to commute and a monster or diavel would be better for those days

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Hey DukeDom, welcome to the forums!

Well, it's a very common question and it really depends on a lot of factors. I use to ride over 100 miles per day on my 748 and 848, which were both nowhere near as well setup as the 899 stock. I could barely manage, I'd get off and my muscles would be all sore, my ass would hurt and I'd be covered in sweat from the bike's heat.

After my so-so street riding superbike experiences, I gave up trying to make superbikes work on the street and bought a naked bike. Holy shit, what a difference. A nice upright machine was what the doctor ordered. Much easier to ride long distances, much more comfortable in every stretch of the imagination from body position, to wrist's and even heat, the naked bikes don't retain it nearly as much.

My vote is neither bike, buy a nice naked bike like a Multistrada, Hypermotard or Monster. If you want a killer bike, S4RS is the best they come! :)

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Didn't they up the service to 15k miles? The monster 6/796/1100 was 7500 as well as the 10/1198/848 series. Just wanted to make sure. I agree with what you said. It will be really hard to commute and a monster or diavel would be better for those days

Wasn't sure they upped the service intervals on the 899. My fault for telling the OP misleading info. I was basing my facts off of 848 experience.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I believe they did but either way its not a comfortable riding experience

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
If money isn't an issue, get a Mini Cooper for daily commute , you'll love it in the cold and when it rains. Get the 899 for your weekend adventures and track days - especially if your doing 100 miles a day.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Sounds like this would be your first bike, are you sure about 100 miles of daily travel without any prior MC experiences?

Hopefully you live in an area that permits comfortable year-round riding.. otherwise look into those particulars as well.

Best of luck to you with the 899 purchase :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Get a Pani 899 with low miles and with the savings get a used Hyundai Accent for commuting.

Reactions: SeerreuS

·
Registered
43 Posts
You guys gotta stop being wimps.

I commute 50 daily in heavy traffic on my 848 EVO.

But then again, I'm a total badass, so my advice to purchase it and be uncomfortable should be taken with a grain of salt. :yo:

In all seriousness, I do actually commute in heavy traffic daily. The bikes do get hot, at least the undertail corse models do. However, assuming you are smart and wear pants, it's bearable. I love riding my bike daily. I have been riding my whole life so the arm pain could just be something I'm used to from MX.

I say, if you don't plan on spending that 100 in heavy traffic (god forbid you did)...then go for it!

If you hate it, hey, you have your weekend toy.

·
Registered
248 Posts
My vote would be for a streetfighter 848 gives you the superbike experience on a more comfortable platform. I used to be hardcore like mgual1 and commute and basically live off a motorcycle, but have found that I am getting torn up after a few hours in the saddle. These days looking to get a streetfighter 1098S for my next ride.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
My vote would be for a streetfighter 848 gives you the superbike experience on a more comfortable platform. I used to be hardcore like mgual1 and commute and basically live off a motorcycle, but have found that I am getting torn up after a few hours in the saddle. These days looking to get a streetfighter 1098S for my next ride.

This

·
Registered
70 Posts
yes

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
I am curious about this ^^^^. As far as I know the 899/1199 are the same dimensions.
They are exactly the same bike, just different engine and some gizmos. If you feel different on an 899 than on an 1199, your mind is playing tricks on you.

My vote is go big or go home. Get the 1299! Nothing like commuting doing a wheelie the entire way to work :yo:

·
Registered
509 Posts
They are exactly the same bike, just different engine and some gizmos. If you feel different on an 899 than on an 1199, your mind is playing tricks on you.

My vote is go big or go home. Get the 1299! Nothing like commuting doing a wheelie the entire way to work :yo:

Never rode the 899, figured it was same as the 848 vs 1198 rider triangle geo. I stand corrected. Being the case I definitely promote the 899 then over the older bikes.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.