Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without getting slammed for my choice of tank protector or getting replies of using urine of other vile liquids to remove this, I was hoping someone else may have ran into the same type of issue and hear what they used to make this disappear?

I have heard that WD40 works well, Goo Gone, etc but would rather not start doing something on this in fear of ruining the clear coat or worse yet paint!

Any good advice on getting the old nasty backing material off the tank so I can re-apply the center piece which they so kindly sent me one back free!

This was what was applied before and been ripped off a few months ago.

Amazon.com: DUCATI 1199 PANIGALE R Real Silver Carbon Fiber tank Protector & red sides knee pads: Automotive

Many thanks!

:BoomSmilie_anim: :violin: :rlwhore:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Nail polish remover will probably work as well. I would also try using a hair dryer and dental floss. Works really well for removing badges on cars. Then a little bit of goof off.

Reactions: Gunny Fitz

·
Registered
228 Posts
I would recommend Simple Green. Not sure the result, but I know this it's safe to use on your tank.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
That 3m foam double sided tape can suck to remove. Wd40 works well on paper backed stickers as it soaks through the remaining sticker. But that looks to be foam. Your prob going to need to use a heat gun to warm up the adhesive and then gently roll off the tape using your fingers. It's a slow painful process. If they fails bring it to an auto body shop they're the best ones to get an opinion from.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Simple Green on soaked rag laid over the area for a few hours.

It will get into the pores of the material and kill the adhesive bond. Gently.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I would first heat it with a heat gun and then apply directly 3M adhesive remover and with a terry cloth try and rub it off.
Do it on sections at a time, you will spend a lot of time but you will get that foam out.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I would first heat it with a heat gun and then apply directly 3M adhesive remover and with a terry cloth try and rub it off.
Do it on sections at a time, you will spend a lot of time but you will get that foam out.
Good luck!
I would agree with this method, plus allowing a little time & patience during the process-

·
Registered
12,897 Posts
I had a tank guard do a similar thing as yours Gunny. WD40 did the trick. I've actually used WD40 to remove all kinds of different types of decals and pads on various vehicles and motorcycles and it always works and cleans off easy and has never marked a surface in many many yrs.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Just watched a video on removing lettering from vehicles. This particular vehicle was a Range Rover- they were removing the lettering from the hood.

They used a soft rubber wheel attached to a drill/ polisher to rub off the left over adhesive. Wasn't anywhere near what you have, but I was surprised it did as well as it did. Then, a little Isopropyl Alcohol and was nice and clean.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
I'd try WD-40 at first because you won't hurt anything, so worth a try. If that doesn't work, heating it up and scraping it with your fingers might do the trick. I would definitely NOT try to use nail polish remover, because that's basically acetone which will kill the clear coat and depending how much you use, the paint as well.

May I ask why you peeled it off though??

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When i traveled to the high AIM Bike show in Orlando last year bike was in bed of truck all the day down. A corner of it was starting to peel back and mustve been due to wind but it ripped it half off and it wouldn't adhere again after that. Took it all the way off and informed company, who graciously sent me another at no cost which I have sitting in the box ready to apply after i get all this crap off first.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts