Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been having this issue for some time now and its getting worse. I apologize for the new thread, I know there's a lot of 'hesitation' threads but mine seems to be a little different..

Under acceleration the bike feels like its missing at a certain position on the throttle, say..10% throttle the bike hesitates or misfires no matter where in the RPM range. Once I get past that certain position on the throttle it accelerates as normal but does it again once more before the throttle stop.

so it seems there are two points in the throttle that the bike misfires or isn't getting proper fuel.

both spark plugs look great, replaced them about 3k miles ago. bike has 17k miles, akra slip ons with DP Ecu, these symptoms occured slightly with DP and OEM Ecu but have gotten much worse.

does this sound like a faulty TPS? fuel filter? injectors? idk, I ran sea foam through it and didn't feel any better.

thanks for any help

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Yea, it could for sure be a TPS issue. If you're mechanically inclined, throw an ohm meter on the connector and slowly open the throttle whilst watching the meter. If the reading is smooth as you open the throttle, then you're probably OK. If the reading fluctuates at all, then its probably a bad sensor. I use alligator clip connectors for my meter to do this, just tap right onto the sensor itself.

If the TPS checks out OK, I'd look to fueling next since you said the plugs are new.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Tye..im pretty mechanically inclined but not very good when it comes to diagnosing...especially electrical. what connector are you speaking of?

edit: and never used an ohmmeter, what would constitute a 'smooth reading'?

thanks

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Take off the right side fairing. Your TPS is there. It's at the throttle body under the airbox and has a 2wire?? connector coming off it.

A smooth reading would saaaaaay start at 2.5voltage and increase as you twist the throttle. If you have dead spots on the TPS (I believe it's just a rheostat) the voltage will either drop off (dead spot) or go a bit crazy (almost dead spot but arching) up and down.

If the voltage rise is in conjunction with your throttle twisting with no deviation, it's something else.

I've had a TPS end up with a dead spot and the bike would fall on it's face when it reached the area and then pick back up when past it. Very annoying and hard to ride fast.

p.s. I believe the key needs to be on but bike not running to test the TPS. If you have ScanTwin diagnostics for android, you can connect that way and test the TPS voltage with out much trouble.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Patrick's test is right on the money, but different then mine. You can do either or, but I prefer the ohm test because it's easier. If you don't have a multimeter with ohm's, then you're stuck using voltage.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had a TPS end up with a dead spot and the bike would fall on it's face when it reached the area and then pick back up when past it. Very annoying and hard to ride fast.
this is exactly what I'm experiencing,

thanks for your input Pat regarding the connectors

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Yeah I used to have to test with voltage but I now use a Bluetooth OBDII scanning tool and cables in conjunction with an android app called Scantwin and one of it's test functions is the TPS so I can put it in test mode, it'll give me a base figure at closed throttle then as I roll on the throttle, it reads me the values on my cell phone.

·
Registered
806 Posts
CA cycleworks has the TPS at a decent price and ships quick. It is stupid easy to remove and install. You DO have to reset the TPS after. I would also suggest putting some grease in the void where the TPS lives to keep fuel vapours from killing the new one.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so I got a multimeter, which setting should I be using to measure ohms? the options are 200, 2k, 20k, 200k and 2000k..

Im guessing the reading will not be too high soo 200?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
you'll find the right setting the moment you connect it to the tps. It will give you a reading so just turn the dial until you can see the whole number and not too far past the decimal point. I believe 200 will work fine. I've honestly never paid much attention to the setting, just turn it until you see the right number lol!! :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what I circled is the TPS correct? I disconnected it and as expected there are 3 wires to the clip that plugs in to the TPS..green, black and yellow. assuming black is the negative but which one is positive?

the biggest problem though is how the f%ck am I supposed to get these multimeter prongs to contact the prongs in the TPS?? cant see shit!

can I take the TPS out to test? or does it have to be connected to the throttle body?

thanks for all the help so far and excuse my lack of electrical knowledge/terms

Attachments

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Yep that's the tps. You need alligator clip wires for your meter. One pin is ground one pin is voltage and the other pin is output. So you'll attach the meter to ground and output. That will give you a signal and if you get nothing then you hit the wrong pins because it doesn't care about polarity.

Reactions: W848Evo

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What's the best way to remove the TPS from the throttle body? Just a solid pull with a pair of pliers or similar?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Yep, just give it a nice big yank. If you do replace it, you will need to re-calibrate it, which requires special software or a DDS. The older bikes allowed you to twist the TPS a bit for calibration but the newer one's don't.

Here a link to the replacement sensor: Ducati Superbike TPS Sensor Magneti Marelli IPF2CB | eBay

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks Tye..ordered replacement from CA Cycleworks. When re-installing does it just pop in or does it require any special trick?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
No special tricks, just make sure it's aligned with the key from the throttle body. It should align itself if it's close because the sensor can twist very easily, even tough it's under spring pressure.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got my TPS in last night. The only guy I know with the software to reset won't be around for the next 2 weeks..will there be any harm done If I ride it first without the reset?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Got my TPS in last night. The only guy I know with the software to reset won't be around for the next 2 weeks..will there be any harm done If I ride it first without the reset?
Well, yea because the bike already runs lean, so if you don't have the TPS calibrated right, it could run even leaner which can cause engine damage.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Went to fire the bike up today and stalled right away..not uncommon before a reset right? Assuming a lean mixture..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.