Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got my LP integrated tail light in the mail. It comes with 3 wires. The middle one plugs directly where the stock brake light did. then there are 2 bare wires on either side that are for the turn signals. My problem is the stock wiring has 4 wires (2 each side) to where the turn signals are. The new tail light only has 2 (1 each side). There are no instuctions, so how do I hook up the 1 wire to the 2?

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
ground wires are built into the stock harness ? hard wire one of the power wires to a signal and try grounding the black one on the frame..

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i figured most of it out. The black wire attaches to the turn signals on the new light. I presume the brown wire is probably a ground. Not really sure what to do with it. Can I just forget about it (tail light work) or should I ground it? Not really sure where to though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
if it works with out the brown wire grounding i would just throw some electrical tape over the exposed end and call it good...
but im no expert LOL

·
Banned
12,711 Posts
I'd just chuck it in the bin.

I been through two of them. They're nothing but junk. I bet it don't last long.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
My friend has Clear Alternative on his R6 for 3 yrs now with 18k miles. No problem. Unless you buy the cheap junk that doesn't last.

I read some people are having problem with CA product, and cheap ebay tail light works better.... who knows....

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, finally got it installed. I ended up splicing the black wire to the turn signals and just taping off the brown. Seems to work well. I am so far impressed with the LP tail light. Looks just like the stock one in appearance (unlike the clear alternative) and fit was excellent (also unlike CA in my experience). Not sure how it will hold up in the long run but we'll see. I'll keep you posted.

I just installed the tail light, comp werks fender eliminator, and scorpio alarm. Took a while but I am happy with the results. Nice to get those stupid looking rear fender lights gone.

Here's some pix

Attachments

·
Banned
12,711 Posts
Well the cheap junk Clear Alternatives that I tried lasted less than a week each.

You think their that good on your mates R6, then why don't you have one on your 1098 myfister?

·
Banned
9,495 Posts
Well the cheap junk Clear Alternatives that I tried lasted less than a week each.

You think their that good on your mates R6, then why don't you have one on your 1098 myfister?
I binned mine. It worked, but so dim it was dangerous.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts

South,

I do have a CA installed on mine 1098 5 months ago.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I binned mine. It worked, but so dim it was dangerous.

Agree. I have my friend follow me at day time to see if the light were hard to see at day time, but they said is okay. It is a little dim compare with stock.

I hope it doesn't fail on me...knock the wood..

·
Banned
5,775 Posts
South,

I do have a CA installed on mine 1098 5 months ago.

Ahhh.. The play on words.... I'm sure they'll last 100yrs never moving from your garage.. The statement was looking for real world comparisons I'm sure..
................................................................................................................................
April 5th, 2009, 01:53 PM #44 M1st1098

[View DucatiSpot Album]

Ducatis in the Registry:
[1098]

still 734 miles since last August......

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
RC,

Yes, I have little miles on mine 1098. And I wish I had more time for mine 1098.

In real world, not all people put lots miles on their Ducati. Ducati is my passion, not my transportaion.

I am not favor of CA or saying it will never break down, I just like the look of it and its function.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
well I'm hoping mine last, but I like the integrated light better than the lights in the tail vent. I have too much shit in there anyway with the traction control box, and scorpio alarm.

M1st1098, nice bike! Usually I am not a fan of yellow on most things. But, I must say, it does look good on the Ducati!

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Thanks. How is the riding experience at Alaska? I have heard so many bad things about the CA, but cross my fingers.....

I do have the signal lights at vent before, but they are hard to see on the side... I was hoping the CA will be a good alternative... I am hoping mine last too... :)

·
Banned
12,711 Posts
Ahhh.. The play on words.... I'm sure they'll last 100yrs never moving from your garage.. The statement was looking for real world comparisons I'm sure..
................................................................................................................................
Right on RC!!!

Clear Alternative tailights ARE JUNK!!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Where did you get those lights from?

·
Banned
9,495 Posts
motowheels.com

1 - 20 of 27 Posts