Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
A small intro about me: My Raghavendra and I live in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

I am planning to buy a Ducati in couple of weeks, but I am really confused which one to pick.

I want to get a Streetfighter 848 or Diavel carbon. I totally understand that these 2 bikes belong to 2 different categories.

I will be using the bike for everyday commute and doing some long drives.

I have been researching about these 2 bikes for some time and trying to get information on the riding comfort and how important it is to have ABS or not to have ABS and stuff.

P.S- I have minor wrist and back problem. This makes it even more important for me to know all the details before buying one.

So can you please help me to understand How it is to living with these bikes? How are they for everyday use? How comfortable is it for city and long drives?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Raghavendra.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
The minor wrist and back problem would suggest Diavel because it's more upright. The Streetfighter is a lot of fun though and pretty comfortable if you're already used to sport bikes. Wind protection will be lousy on both but the Streetfighter wins in cornering ability. It's also about 10,000 times cooler than the Diavel.;) However if this is going to be your first bike I'd say don't get either.

ABS is overrated IMO. I do just fine without it.:blah:

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I'm in agreement, mostly, with Duc_L_over_V above.

however i don't think that the streetfighter is that comfortable, well not for a commute. But then none of Ducati's sport bikes are particularly comfortable over a distance. The same can be said of much of the competition though. The Panigale is the most comfortable I find but I don't think it suits tall riders ( I'm 5'9" & 190lbs [what? I'm big-boned!] and it's just about a perfect ride position for me out of the box )

The Diavel is a very comfortable bike. I'm unsure of what your riding experience is though. It's a very heavy feeling bike but very quick and more agile than you'd think. It can catch a few out.

I too have back and joint issues and if I wanted a bike to put a lot of miles on then it would be a Multistrada. If I wanted a bike that is easy to ride and still great fun then I'd pick a monster.

I adore the 1*98 range and the 848 but I find them the least comfortable of modern Ducatis over distance. Don't like the streetfighter, never have. But it sells well in the market it was designed for.

ABS can make you complacent. Again, it depends upon your skill level and how you ride. I would not go looking for it but then I'd take a bike with it if it was standard.

·
Banned
224 Posts
The minor wrist and back problem would suggest Diavel because it's more upright. The Streetfighter is a lot of fun though and pretty comfortable if you're already used to sport bikes. Wind protection will be lousy on both but the Streetfighter wins in cornering ability. It's also about 10,000 times cooler than the Diavel.;) However if this is going to be your first bike I'd say don't get either.

Ever had a bike with ABS ? How is it overrated ? I think its one of the best things fitted to motorcycles in recent times .

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Ever had a bike with ABS ? How is it overrated ? I think its one of the best things fitted to motorcycles in recent times .
I've never owned a bike with ABS but I've ridden a Panigale S that was equipped and I never engaged it. I see it as just another crutch that people will assume can be substituted for poor technique. It's entirely unnecessary and potentially dangerous.

·
Banned
224 Posts
I've never owned a bike with ABS but I've ridden a Panigale S that was equipped and I never engaged it. I see it as just another crutch that people will assume can be substituted for poor technique. It's entirely unnecessary and potentially dangerous.
What a load of crap . How is it dangerous ?

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
What a load of crap . How is it dangerous ?
Um, making people reliant on technology as a substitute for skill. You don't call that dangerous? What happens when you get on some other bike without ABS and think you can ham-fist your way through an apex when you enter too fast? What then?

Reactions: EL Twin

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Will it prevent me from locking up the front while trail-braking and losing the front end? If not, then it's useless. I've never once locked up my front wheel from riding around on the street, never needed ABS, so unless it helps out on the track with what I just said, then what's the point?

·
Banned
224 Posts
Um, making people reliant on technology as a substitute for skill. You don't call that dangerous? What happens when you get on some other bike without ABS and think you can ham-fist your way through an apex when you enter too fast? What then?
Well then your dick head nothings going to save you . ABS only comes into play in a emergency can be really helpfull in the wet especially .
Gets me how you guys can comment on something you have never had or experienced .

·
Banned
224 Posts
Will it prevent me from locking up the front while trail-braking and losing the front end? If not, then it's useless. I've never once locked up my front wheel from riding around on the street, never needed ABS, so unless it helps out on the track with what I just said, then what's the point?
Your most likely a fair weather rider . Whats your view on DTS .
Your comment on trail braking and losing the front end is a clear indicator on how clueless you are on this subject .
Ive never needed to use a airbag in my car either but I'm glad its there .

·
Registered
15 Posts
go to Ducati Minneapolis!!! im also from the twin cites and those guys are great! wait till warmer weather and take them for a spin, they always have several demos. I screwed my back up in Iraq and have broke my wrist several times... but i got drawn into the 1098's beauty and it couldn't stop me. I've rode the diavel, and that thing is BAD. it rips so hard! i haven't rode the streetfighter yet but i'm sure it does the trick also. the 848 has a less aggressive stance, and isn't all that bad (but i'm coming from a 1098 like i said)

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Your most likely a fair weather rider . Whats your view on DTS .
Your comment on trail braking and losing the front end is a clear indicator on how clueless you are on this subject .
Ive never needed to use a airbag in my car either but I'm glad its there .
First off, which one of the Dwaynes is this? Oh and what's DTS?? Never heard of that before.

Yes you're right that I am a fair weather rider. If it happens to rain when I'm riding that's fine, I'll just take it easy, but otherwise I don't make a point to go out riding if it's already started to rain.

And please explain oh mighty all-knowing Dwayne, how am I clueless on this subject because of my comment??

·
Banned
224 Posts
First off, which one of the Dwaynes is this? Oh and what's DTS?? Never heard of that before.

Yes you're right that I am a fair weather rider. If it happens to rain when I'm riding that's fine, I'll just take it easy, but otherwise I don't make a point to go out riding if it's already started to rain.

And please explain oh mighty all-knowing Dwayne, how am I clueless on this subject because of my comment??
DTC . Your comment about trail braking is a poor example on how ABS will assist a rider .
ABS may save a riders life one day and to dismiss it just because in your mind you have never needed it or never had it is clueless to me your missing the point of ABS .
If you read the OP's original post he mentioned that the bike will be a commuter and some what of a touring bike which in my mind is the reason to have a ABS equipped bike don't you think ?
I'm the Dwayne that can't spell too well and thanks for the compliment .

·
Banned
5,775 Posts
Hey... Four heads are better than one eh...

I'm thinking one of my best friends would be alive today if we had ABS on our 1098's

But we'll never know coz he's dead..

I never thought ABS would be much until I owned a couple Beemer's

Course same minded folks said the same re: computer controlled bikes, slipper clutches, quick shift systems, traction control.. I know coz I said the same till I used them..

RC

·
Registered
309 Posts
i find the diavel to be more cruiser oriented. and there is the model diavelstrada which comes with windscreen and hardbags for you touring days. if youve got the same/similar injuries as i do (bad back and separated both thumbs that never healed), the more upright you are the longer you can last on the bike. so the diavel starts to shine. but if you want to have fun, the streetfighter really shines.

i compromised and went with the hyper. although the tour portion may not be the best on it since i have the older model

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
DTC . Your comment about trail braking is a poor example on how ABS will assist a rider .
ABS may save a riders life one day and to dismiss it just because in your mind you have never needed it or never had it is clueless to me your missing the point of ABS .
If you read the OP's original post he mentioned that the bike will be a commuter and some what of a touring bike which in my mind is the reason to have a ABS equipped bike don't you think ?
I'm the Dwayne that can't spell too well and thanks for the compliment .
Ok ok, I'll give you that. Having ABS on a bike that's used for touring and long distance rides could be beneficial because in that case you'd most likely ride in all sort of kinds of weather and road conditions. I just said that in all the riding I've done, I've never once locked up the front wheel (therefore not needing ABS), except for the one case that I mentioned at the track. And you still have not explained how that's a bad example?? In fact that's a great example! Would ABS prevent that or not?? Answer me that, since you seem to have so much knowledge on ABS.

You also haven't said who you are so that I know who I'm talking to. Why are you hiding "Dwayne"?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
go to Ducati Minneapolis!!! im also from the twin cites and those guys are great! wait till warmer weather and take them for a spin, they always have several demos. I screwed my back up in Iraq and have broke my wrist several times... but i got drawn into the 1098's beauty and it couldn't stop me. I've rode the diavel, and that thing is BAD. it rips so hard! i haven't rode the streetfighter yet but i'm sure it does the trick also. the 848 has a less aggressive stance, and isn't all that bad (but i'm coming from a 1098 like i said)

Thank you for taking time to reply... ya i have been going there for couple of months now.. its like a candy store for me :)... they said they will starting giving test ride in about 2 weeks.. cant wait to try these bikes...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Thank dude.. for taking time to reply..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm in agreement, mostly, with Duc_L_over_V above.

however i don't think that the streetfighter is that comfortable, well not for a commute. But then none of Ducati's sport bikes are particularly comfortable over a distance. The same can be said of much of the competition though. The Panigale is the most comfortable I find but I don't think it suits tall riders ( I'm 5'9" & 190lbs [what? I'm big-boned!] and it's just about a perfect ride position for me out of the box )

The Diavel is a very comfortable bike. I'm unsure of what your riding experience is though. It's a very heavy feeling bike but very quick and more agile than you'd think. It can catch a few out.

I too have back and joint issues and if I wanted a bike to put a lot of miles on then it would be a Multistrada. If I wanted a bike that is easy to ride and still great fun then I'd pick a monster.

I adore the 1*98 range and the 848 but I find them the least comfortable of modern Ducatis over distance. Don't like the streetfighter, never have. But it sells well in the market it was designed for.

ABS can make you complacent. Again, it depends upon your skill level and how you ride. I would not go looking for it but then I'd take a bike with it if it was standard.

Thanks dude.. i really appreciate you take time to reply..

·
Banned
224 Posts
Ok ok, I'll give you that. Having ABS on a bike that's used for touring and long distance rides could be beneficial because in that case you'd most likely ride in all sort of kinds of weather and road conditions. I just said that in all the riding I've done, I've never once locked up the front wheel (therefore not needing ABS), except for the one case that I mentioned at the track. And you still have not explained how that's a bad example?? In fact that's a great example! Would ABS prevent that or not?? Answer me that, since you seem to have so much knowledge on ABS.

You also haven't said who you are so that I know who I'm talking to. Why are you hiding "Dwayne"?
I actually thought I explained it pretty well . ABS may have prevented your crash who knows but if you were out on a track you would more than likely have the ABS turned off .
If you understood ABS you would have already known that .
Have a look on YouTube there are plenty of great vids there for the uneducated.
I'm jot hiding from you it's Dwayne WILKSON .

1 - 20 of 92 Posts