Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so ive seen the Shorai, reviews...both good and bad.

Im looking to replace the factory battery on my 2010 1198 Corse with something thats an upgrade from the stock Yuasa...

I figure budget is a couple hundred...

Are there other upgraded batteries for a big 1198 other than the Shorai?

Convince me the Shorai is the way to go??

Thanks...

·
Registered
555 Posts
I did a little research and bought a shorai last year.the thing weights a pound and cranks a built (hi comp pistons and stuff) 1198 for days. You should buy the little smart charger/maintainer too. My bike is only used every other weekend or so.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Shorai sells one that is specifically designed for the lithium iron battery. It has a nice little 5 wire pig tail that plugs into a port on the battery, so you can run it to a cconvenient location on the bike. It is supposed to significantly increase the life of the battery

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
I've got a battery tender, can I use that? It's not a Shori brand...
Yes you can- but you most likely wont need to use it unless the bike sits for months at a time. The LiFe batteries can handle sitting unused more than conventional batteries.

If you use a charger at all, I would get a Shorai charger because it balances the battery. I've had a Shorai on several of my bikes for over 5 years now. I only use the charger when the bike is not ridden.

-M

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
A Battery Tender is designed for standard lead-acid batteries. The new Gen of lithium batteries use individual cells and need a dedicated charger/balancer to maintain them properly. The battery tender will keep it some what properly charged but the proper balancer will charge each individual cell and keep a lithium battery working at peak performance.

Shorai are great batteries. I'm on my 3rd season with mine and it's never let me down. I parked my bike for 4 months to go through it's suspension and bushings/bearings as it's all pushing 100,000K and I just tossed the Shorai charger on it once a month for 1hr to balance it and do the same when I park the bike over winter.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
I might add, be shor and get the Shoria with the highest cranking (CC) amps, I think the model # begins with a 14. Mine 1098R started much easier/better with the 14 than with the 12 model. + I will reinforce the notion to get the Shoria dedicated charger. Has worked, without an issue for years.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I might add, be shor and get the Shoria with the highest cranking (CC) amps, I think the model # begins with a 14. Mine 1098R started much easier/better with the 14 than with the 12 model. + I will reinforce the notion to get the Shoria dedicated charger. Has worked, without an issue for years.
The one suggested for the bigger twins and works well in the smaller ones also is LFX18A1-BS12.

You both are correct, but Bob, your nomenclature is off just a little; I was sold the LFX14A1-BS12 model because my bike is an '848' but the cranking amps (CCA) were insufficient; I returned it quickly for the stronger one, the LFX18A1-BS12 and haven't looked back. Johnny, this would be the one for you, too.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
I haven't looked at mine closely in a long time..maybe it is an 18 and not an earlier 14...guess that means the Shorai requires very little attention...:)...thks for the correction.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
Got the battery.....jesus Christ this thing is tiny...

How the hell do I secure it in the battery box???
I used the supplied foam pads to snug it in the existing plastic carrier, and the added velcro strips to the bottom and back to hold it in place.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Like Bob said, use the foam pads that come with it to fill in the space.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.