Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

New member here about to buy her first Duc. My last bike was a 2006 R1 LE but I totaled it (not my fault).

So I've been looking around at the 848s, which I love, and I found what seems to be a great deal in my neck of the woods. I'd appreciate some opinions. The bike has tons of great mods but it is an '08 and it does have nearly 30K on the clock.

Thanks for your help. The Craigslist ad is here.

Madison Claire

·
Registered
134 Posts
Other than the Termi full, the mods are relatively cheap. With that many miles I'd say its not a deal. Not sure about your area but here in Denver, 848 EVO go for about 10-12 with 2-5k miles. In my opinion 27k miles isn't worth $2500-4k. I'm new to ducati so I might be completely wrong.
That exhaust is one pretty penny though, might also need a repack and in bad shape too.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I can't see the ad as I'm Barracuda'd out at work, but I'm in San Diego and I could swing by to check it out for you as a favor.

We're all about helping each other out around here! WELCOME!!! :wave:

BTW the 848 is just about the perfect bike for the street if the ergos suit you! I've ridden and raced mine all at the same time since I got her new in June of 2008. Plus, we're all REALLY adept at helping you spend your money on new shiny bits as well. :naughty:

·
Registered
581 Posts
Nope.... I paid 8500 for my 2008 848 with 4300 miles on the clock in Seattle. If you can make the drive or afford to pay a shipper then look north. The riding season is much shorter so the bikes tend to be cheaper and less ridden.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
@ 30k, the motor is done, fried, cooked. It would need upper and lower rod bearings, crank bearings and new piston rings, at a bare minimal. My 08 848 with 15k on the clock had a bad bottom end when I pulled it apart to turn it into a race motor. I was SHOCKED!!!!

The bike listed should be $5k and a hand-shake.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hello Everyone!

New member here about to buy her first Duc. My last bike was a 2006 R1 LE but I totaled it (not my fault).

So I've been looking around at the 848s, which I love, and I found what seems to be a great deal in my neck of the woods. I'd appreciate some opinions. The bike has tons of great mods but it is an '08 and it does have nearly 30K on the clock.

Thanks for your help. The Craigslist ad is here.

Madison Claire

You can buy my 848 evo with 1600 miles :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
Ride one before you buy one. Ducati isn't the ride for everyone. Coming off an r1 you had the heat off the exhaust like a ducati but not the shake from a twin.

·
Banned
782 Posts
I pull over 06 R1's in the canyon.

848 is great weapon.

Buy my 12 with 5,200 miles for 10 k with new Q2's. I want a panigale

·
Registered
564 Posts
Hard to say...yes, it has a lot of miles but it does have some nice mods and looks like it was taken care of pretty well. If the owner has all the scheduled maintenance documented it might be worth it a little more. Still not an outstanding price for something with that high of miles. I'd keep looking and let us know what you find.

·
Court Jester
11,826 Posts
@ 30k, the motor is done, fried, cooked. It would need upper and lower rod bearings, crank bearings and new piston rings, at a bare minimal. My 08 848 with 15k on the clock had a bad bottom end when I pulled it apart to turn it into a race motor.
Bold statement, I'll be hitting 30k before my 2 year is up. Mind asking my dealer for a new engine for me? I mean you sound so sure...

If you are going to give advice, why not give her comparables like everyone else? Based on your statement I would not of ever left Honda I don't care how much I love the look of a Ducati.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I wouldn't say its a deal. With that many miles it should be around the 5500-6000, and that's because of some of the mods. If you can get the price down, it could be a good deal

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I know a local guy with 207,000 miles on his monster 900. I saw the bike today and have pics of it/the odometer too...will post tomorrow...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Seems like a lot of miles to me too. I bought my 08 848 in San Diego last year with 5500 miles for 9000 with almost all the same mods. It was a little more but a lot less miles. I am paying for the 7500 service this week though!
To echo DUCATI5 If you want I would swing by and take a look at it. Mission Valley is 15 minutes from my house.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Bold statement, I'll be hitting 30k before my 2 year is up. Mind asking my dealer for a new engine for me? I mean you sound so sure...
Well, you know your bike pretty well if you bought it new.

Some of us ride their bikes super hard, redlining at every possible moment. Others, baby their bikes, riding them gently until those special moments when they push them in the twisties every once in a while.

So yes, 30k babied miles with the occasional track day, you're probably OK. However, 30k riding like you stole it miles, yea you'll be lucky to catch the bearings before the motor self destructs.

Now, its all about trusting someone to tell you the truth about how those 30k miles wound up on the bike in the first place. Heh... I personally wouldn't trust anyone and make the assumption whatever used bike you buy, will need major service no matter what.

Based on your statement I would not of ever left Honda I don't care how much I love the look of a Ducati.
Its all used bikes, not just exotics. I can't tell you how many people try to re-sell abused bikes like they're fine. Likewise, there are plenty of beginners out there who don't know better and those people who sell used abused bikes, they count on those beginners to buy their bikes. This is because, in the hands of someone who KNOWS how to ride, their abused bike would go pop, but in the hands of a beginner, its all smiles. ;)

You'd be surprised at what a hand-full of trackdays at full-tilt-boogie can alter the engine wear characteristics.

·
Court Jester
11,826 Posts
Well, you know your bike pretty well if you bought it new.

Some of us ride their bikes super hard, redlining at every possible moment. Others, baby their bikes, riding them gently until those special moments when they push them in the twisties every once in a while.

So yes, 30k babied miles with the occasional track day, you're probably OK. However, 30k riding like you stole it miles, yea you'll be lucky to catch the bearings before the motor self destructs.

Now, its all about trusting someone to tell you the truth about how those 30k miles wound up on the bike in the first place. Heh... I personally wouldn't trust anyone and make the assumption whatever used bike you buy, will need major service no matter what. .
Now that's a statement I can agree on :) But High Miles doesn't equal abused and low miles doesn't equal not abused...

Its all used bikes, not just exotics. I can't tell you how many people try to re-sell abused bikes like they're fine. Likewise, there are plenty of beginners out there who don't know better and those people who sell used abused bikes, they count on those beginners to buy their bikes. This is because, in the hands of someone who KNOWS how to ride, their abused bike would go pop, but in the hands of a beginner, its all smiles. ;)

You'd be surprised at what a hand-full of trackdays at full-tilt-boogie can alter the engine wear characteristics.
I purhcased a used CRB that was a track bike drove it for 10 years (on the streets and very hard) and treated it poorly on the maintainence and it never gave me problems. Purhchased for 2,000 sold for 800. So I don't think it's all used, Honda makes engines that are near bullet proof.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts