Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I was riding yesterday in my everyday shoes , and get neutral few times when shifting from 3-4 and 4-5 gears. I was riding about 170 kph and had to slow down before shifting.
What is the best thing to do in such case?
Should I drop the speed before shifting ?

I think I have read somewhere that you should shift up to higher gear. But that noise you hear when you shift is so bad. Seems like gearbox will explode.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Probably the different riding shoes bumping the shifter causing false neutrals...pull in the clutch so you don't grind the gears and shift up.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've noticed this happens more when I wear footwear with less protection, since it causes me to shift with less force. With my riding boots and shifting into each gear hard (normal), it never ever happens.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
not sure this will help. if downshifting blip the throttle maybe 500 rpm and slowly let out clutch. the idea is to make the engine meet the speed of the lower shift and not cause the tire to break traction. if you have a slipper clutch might not help. gl

·
Registered
6 Posts
With my 821 I notice if my shoe is a bit to tall to fit well between the lever and peg I have the same issue. It seems to me like I am bumping the lever trying to go for the shift and it pops you out of gear. Then getting into the next gear is a bit messed up like you caught the synchros out of alignment. I typically do not see the issues when I am wearing my riding shoes or boots though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For sure non motorcycle shoes make it happening more often. Although the main question was what is the best thing to do when it’s already happened?

Do you pull the clutch, give a little throttle to synchronize and then shift upper gear? Or shift to the lower gear and not give any throttle?

Or it is better to completely stop and then shift all the way down to 1 gear.

The sound it makes is horrible. When it happened first time I was sure that one of the gears gone.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I gave it a go in the work boots... horrible experience...lol...and shifting back in gear was cringe worthy....in my opinion it was "gentler" going up a gear rather than down if you missed the shift...but both directions made me sneer under the visor...less so going up...bottom line...get proper boots... or shift like you have purpose...trying to rev match seemed promising but in my experience only highlighted how off I was...palm to face

·
Registered
65 Posts
For sure non motorcycle shoes make it happening more often. Although the main question was what is the best thing to do when it’s already happened?

Do you pull the clutch, give a little throttle to synchronize and then shift upper gear? Or shift to the lower gear and not give any throttle?

The sound it makes is horrible. When it happened first time I was sure that one of the gears gone.
Personally I just pull in the clutch and shift up

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts

If you can safely stop, do so. Your transmission will thank you!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts