Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been riding for a long time, so I'm not new to bikes but this bike is new to me. I picked it up on the weekend brand new. I sit on the bike and with it off and it shifts like butter. Start it up clunk into first and it's impossible to shift to neutral or 2nd. Drive away and shift is smooth and easyier, come to stop engage the clutch, impossible to get into neutral and super hard. I'm taking it back to the dealership, but anyones humble opinion or thoughts would be grateful. I gave it a chance for break in but it so hard its hurting my foot through the boots. With the bike off the foot leaver move with a finger click.

JM

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yea that's simply not right.

That said for some neutral is difficult to find on Ducati's. Since I'm on my 3rd Duc it's become second nature so it's difficult for me to judge finding neutral as opposed to someone accustom to say a Japanese bike. Further I found on both my 696 and 1200 it took some time until the gearbox became extremely smooth but never, never was it anything to the level of hurting my foot. Like I said that's simply not right and sounds like something to do with clutch. Taking it back to the dealer is the correct move.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Joesph, I appreciate your feedback. I'll keep everyone posted, got it Saturday and its going back in sometime this week when the rain stops in Toronto. The sales guy road before I left and said he never felt one this tight lol. Tight is an understatement!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hey Jeff, have you tried finding neutral before on a full stop? On a brand new Ducati, it is difficult while in breakin period to my experience. How may km do you have on it now?It will take almost to your 1000km initial first service tune up before all is good. Anyways, if that doesn't work then there is definitely not right with your gearing?Which dealership did you buy your 821 Monster btw?
I hope this can be sort out for you soon!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I can hit neutral from 2nd barely though, maybe 1-30. I had 5 km on it and put 30 km to get home. My foot is still soar, and I tried to be as gentle as possible. You can't even get from 1st to 2nd standing still with the clutch in. I understand finding neutral is hard, but I can't even get it out of the gear while standing still with the clutch it. I know for sure I have a problem. I'm starting to think they didn't put the right oil in it or something. But I've already emailed Ducati Canada saying if any service needs to be done, I want another bike and I don't want a lemon.

The sad part is I've ridden over 50 brand new Jap bikes, owned 10 and never had this problem, sucks!
Of coarse the first Ducati I ever buy, feels bummed lol

·
Registered
150 Posts
I hear ya Jeff, i am pretty sure there is definitely a problem with your gearing/shifting. I am sure Ducati will sort this out for you. This is what warranty is for. I just hope they get it sort out right away so you can enjoy this BEAST of a bike! It is nothing like Japanese at all. Once you get the feel you'll never go back. It happened to me as you can see my past units! Good luck and let us know the results with your bikes problem when you get it fixed!
Btw, we should meet up one day since your in Toronto, i am in Mississauga. We have a short summer and would like to ride as much as we can during this time!

Bob

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi Jeff

I started riding my first Duc last August , 696 , it only had 61 miles on it , yes when I sat on it with the engine running and put it in first the whole bike did sort of seem crunch together in a good way though , gear shifts where very exact but now at 4300 miles , it has smoothed out and I have adjusted . Never ever any foot pain though , natural did take a bit of getting used to but ok now
I may be wrong here , but I am sure that Ducs have square cut gears that will take longer to bed in , but sounds like a potential warranty issue
hope this helps

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@bobby. Cool dude I ride out that way a lot. I like the west end more than the east end. Tomorrow I'm taking it in and also Ducati called me today which was really nice. So once things get sorted out we definetly tear it up.

@ tima. I appreciate the feed back. It's almost like the clutch isn't engaging full to release the pressure. We shall see tomorrow. I've been riding a long time and must admit this thing is no jap bike. Man it sounds freaking amazing. I opened it today down the Indy strait away on lakeshore. Omg this thing rips good Some guy on black 696 was like holy crap that thing sounds bad ass.

I do love it but my black and blue left foot doesn't lol

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
The first thing to eliminate on this one should be a simple bleed of the clutch hydraulics. It sounds like the symptoms of air in the system.

Any bike shop could sort this for you if the dealer is a long way off. Should take them ten minutes max.

If yours has radial master cylinders they will need to bleed it from the master (handlebar) as well as the slave (LHS engine).

If you tee them up in advance the dealer should do this for you while you wait. Even though the bike is new, and things are a bit tight, it should not be like this! Obviously..

Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm sure this is a non hydraulic clutch. it's just a cable. I wish it was something as simple as that, but thanks pat. Yeah mun I heading to the dealership in a hour and I will keep everyone posted. Hopefully it's fixed on the spot.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Mine was hard shifting for the first 50miles or so then started to get easier. Then around 250miles it stiffened up again at which point I took all the slop out of the clutch cable and then it got smooth again and was able to contine clutch less up shifting smooth. Now has 380miles on the stock oil in the bike and is super slick shifting up or down.

I assumed it was the shift forks or something in mine but whatever, I'm not cracking it open to look at this point since it shifts like a jap sportbike

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine was hard shifting for the first 50miles or so then started to get easier. Then around 250miles it stiffened up again at which point I took all the slop out of the clutch cable and then it got smooth again and was able to contine clutch less up shifting smooth. Now has 380miles on the stock oil in the bike and is super slick shifting up or down.

I assumed it was the shift forks or something in mine but whatever, I'm not cracking it open to look at this point since it shifts like a jap sportbike

ok this is awesome and exactly what my dealership told me today. I will keep everyone posted as the KM's add up.

The mechanic that took it for ride said it is the hardest he ever felt and the motor feels the tightest. Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing, he also said the exhaust pops like no other. So I must of got a custom bike hand built for me...... we laughed. He said don't worry let it break innn.

So I abused her on the way. lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just wanted to update this now as I have about 500KM on the bike. Neutral is still hard when the clutch is fully engaged at a stop. The trick is just before engaging the clutch click it up to neutral. I'm pretty used to this now, getting better every time I go out.

The love hate relationship is still there with the bike. I still find highway vibration is still hard on the hands and running at top speeds over 150 is not easy.

Anyone else in Toronto wanna ride lol

·
Registered
375 Posts
What's your oil lever like? From the dealer mine came way overfilled. I changed oil and brought the level to recommended level and shifting was noticeably better. But I did not have much issues as bad as yours though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What's your oil lever like? From the dealer mine came way overfilled. I changed oil and brought the level to recommended level and shifting was noticeably better. But I did not have much issues as bad as yours though.
Oil level is good, but I haven't done my first oil change. I'm giving that a go soon. My friend rode the diavel and said he experienced the same thing as me. At least I don't feel a lone lol.

I'm looking at a steering damper cause I really ride this thing off the back wheel a lot.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ha I didn't know this existed, pretty neat. Do you have a model link to witch one you got.
They told me to order the Ducati s model vibranator. So I did.
I also changed the grips to the Oxford sports heated ones.
I think they must be working because I can ride for hours now no problem where as before I was really struggling particularly in the right hand.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah, moving from Jap bikes to a Ducati is interesting on several levels. The best way to get neutral when stopped is to take the weight (i.e internal forces) off of the gear-box by letting the clutch out and just as it bites select neutral. I agree that neetral can be hard to find, but I never forcer it - just use the above technique, or as others have said, drop it to neutral from 1st or 2nd whilst still rolling.

Looks like you have it sussed now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts