Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

I just Picked up my first Ducati and it is an 848 Corse. I have been riding for 25 years or so but never on a hyper sport bike like this one. I have a question or 2. What kind of ballpark mileage should I expect from my Supercorsa's with no track days just some spirited street riding and highway miles? Also how often should I expect to have to tighten the chain? I still have to buy the rear stand and tools.

The big question is should it be really sluggish and shake at 4k-4.5k RPM? I got it used with 1001 miles so it had the break in service and is still completely stock. If I'm in traffic and I let it get below 4K it doesn't want to accelerate at all and will shake and shudder until it gets over 4.5K.

Is this normal because it is essentially a race bike and doesn't like going slow or should I have it looked at?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Let me say this. Ive had many inline4's and a few twins...so Im familiar with both. The sluggish feel that you are describing is something Ive felt too. I also know that my 848evo Corse can power right through that. Ya gotta just keep turning the throttle and it will pick up right out of that dip, right past 5k. Lean on the throttle more and it should pull...maybe a lil slow and chuggy, but it will go. The inlines are much smoother. (my last was a MV F41000 loads of power and way less vibrations)

Its a twin, I ride mine like one. I let the rpms come way down and make the torque push me through, not much downshifitng by me, unless I have to....

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Is this normal because it is essentially a race bike and doesn't like going slow or should I have it looked at?
Pretty much. It likes to ride right at that sweet spot between 6 and 7k rpm. Above that it's lightning; below that it shakes like a dog shitting razorblades.

Reactions: Ducati black

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
+1
Street I'm usually in first revs 5-6 k if you do alot of street riding and don't mind losing some performance you can switch to 14 tooth on front

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
as for the tires- Mine are still going strong at 2800 miles, but apparently some people have smoked them to the belts by 1600.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I will shift into 2nd in the 5 to 6k range. The engine will lug if you do not work the clutch and throttle at low speeds but it’s usually less than 20 mph. Like coasting in a parking lot or stop and go rush hour traffic, but the rpms are under 4k at that point. I do a lot of city riding and I find my top gear is 3rd and on my Yamaha at the same speed it would be in 5th gear.

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
If you intend on riding that bike in traffic, It would be a good idea to either put a 14t cog up front, or go up two teeth on the rear sprocket. If you choose to go up- you will need a new chain, but you have the opportunity to put a quick change carier on it to reduce some rotating and unsprung mass. Typically the 14t mod is a bit overkill on the ratio, but if you have to do alot of low speed riding, it's much cheaper and easier on your hands and clutch to swap the gear.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you intend on riding that bike in traffic, It would be a good idea to either put a 14t cog up front, or go up two teeth on the rear sprocket. If you choose to go up- you will need a new chain, but you have the opportunity to put a quick change carier on it to reduce some rotating and unsprung mass. Typically the 14t mod is a bit overkill on the ratio, but if you have to do alot of low speed riding, it's much cheaper and easier on your hands and clutch to swap the gear.
What exactly you mean the 14t mod is a bit overkill on the ratio? Thanks. :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
14T is the cheapest mod for city riding. I had it on my 1098.
When you have this mod to your front sprocket, what happened to the higher speed? Any damage to the engine with this mod? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
When you have this mod to your front sprocket, what happened to the higher speed? Any damage to the engine with this mod? Thanks.
No damage.

You will have little lower top speed because of gear ratio and little more gears change while riding, that's it. Cheapest mod for city riding without spent too much money. When your bike needs chain replacement, put the stock 15T back with 39 or 40 rear sprocket. That's my plan.

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
What exactly you mean the 14t mod is a bit overkill on the ratio? Thanks. :D
When I had a 14t on one of my bikes, first gear was over and done with before I made it across an intersection, and I never felt like I was in the right gear on long sweeping corners. Sitting in traffic with no room to lane split, and really tight manuevers it was nice to not have to spin the clutch as much. Finding a ratio in between stock and the 14t mod strikes a more usable balance.

Going down in the front 1 tooth or up in the back 3 is about the same ratio change. so just going up one in the back works best for me, but you might want to go with 2.

other issues with reducing the size of the small sprocket is the chain has to flex farther for the smaller radius of a 14t and there is obviously 1 less tooth to work with, so this mod can increase chain wear.

·
Registered
141 Posts
14T in the front will not cause increased chain wear.

I use 14T on my track bike and find it fantastic rather than going up 3 in the rear. I use 14/39 as a base and if a track has some sort of ridiculous straight I'll bump down the rear a few.

The benefit about going down in the front rather than up in the rear is it reduces rotational mass. Doing the 520 conversion while going down a tooth in the front is a tremendous amount of rotational mass reduction. Where as doing the same conversion except increasing the tooth count in the rear will increase the weight of the sprocket and chain weight.

·
Registered
241 Posts
If you spend a lot of time in traffic, go to the 14-tooth front sprocket. Costs less than $30. I had mine installed on the 848 and the Monster 1100 EVO. Problem solved and if you're a "normal" rider who spends most time on the street with maybe a half dozen track days a year, you won't suffer any downside.

As for the tires, it's really subjective. Your "normal" street riding could be someone else's easy or hard. Also, get your suspension set by a suspension expert. Not only will the bike ride better, but a properly set suspension will help you get the most out of your tires.

Keep your tires properly inflated, check 'em regularly, and keep your eye on the wear-bar indicators.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all of the insight guys. I will definitely be going down to the 14T sprocket on the front after reading so many good reports.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts