Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased today a 2001 996 has 12k miles and has been serviced every 4k miles included in the sale was new Kevlar belts (red label) I know that at 15k there is a service coming up but would like to get some advice as this is the first Ducati I have owned. Clutch seemed good on the test drive

2001 Ducati 996 Biposto

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Yellow

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Welcome to the forums and congrats on buying a "classic" Ducati Superbike.

The 996 is a good solid platform, Ducati had refined many things over it's predecessor and the 01' has many of the previous generations issues resolved. The only thing to really look at in the future is the rocker flaking issues. Ducati didn't really solve them until July 01' and that would be a 2002 model year.

Honestly, I'd just ride the thing until it needs service at 15k and go from there.

Just remember, Ducati's like to be ridden a lot. If they sit around, they'll get very angry. So make sure you ride'er and if you store for any length of time, keep'er far away from moisture and make sure the battery is on a tender.

Congrats on the purchase and if you have any other questions, let us know! :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Service watch:

1. Check the plastic Fuel sender nut under the tank and in-tank fuel lines (all fuel lines for that matter).

2. Clutch hydr. slave and/or oring failure prone.

3. Looking at miles clutch may need overhaul.

4. Electrical gremlin's👺= fuel pump relay/starter relay (get spares carry w/ you); check all fuse holders under the seat (sometimes fail); carry spare blade fuses...3a/15a/20a.

5. Check for chair wear guides on mono swing arm.

Extra service:

Fork oil change.
Fork steerer bearing service/check
Check rear sprocket bushing.

Good upgrades:
Motoelectric starter cables/ground.
CRG levers (better range adjustment).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Congrates on the new bike Tjordan. Hi everyone just got on here. Ive also just purchased a 2001 996s tre colouri. Im super excited to pickit up this coming week. Bought it a Duc dealer new tires, belts two month/3k warranty. Own a Harley FatBoy Lo now, a bit nervous of the power this bike will have lol. Looking forward to contributing on here

·
Registered
632 Posts
Congrates on the new bike Tjordan. Hi everyone just got on here. Ive also just purchased a 2001 996s tre colouri. Im super excited to pickit up this coming week. Bought it a Duc dealer new tires, belts two month/3k warranty. Own a Harley FatBoy Lo now, a bit nervous of the power this bike will have lol. Looking forward to contributing on here
How did your purchase turn out?

There were no factory tri-colours in the 916 series, so yours is a custom job, what does it look like?

Craig

·
Registered
28 Posts
How did your purchase turn out?

There were no factory tri-colours in the 916 series, so yours is a custom job, what does it look like?

Craig
I love the bike. Cant get off it. Its a 2001 996s im not sure how to post pictures on here. Its dosnt actually say tricoloure on it but its got the green white and red on the visor and under the seat. Getting Duca bike slipper clutch put on it this week cant wait.

·
Registered
632 Posts
To post a picture just reply to the post next to the white smiley face above, there is a paper clip symbol, simply click on that and follow the directions.
When you say it has the green, white & red stripes do you mean like the race bikes decals?
Are the seat stickers like in my photo?

Craig

Attachments

·
Registered
632 Posts
Looks good, has it got anything on the top of the triples?

Craig

1 - 13 of 13 Posts