Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I just picked up my 848 on Monday (16 hour round trip non stop to get her). The bike runs great.

Tuesday. The battery was going bad, HIDs would not stay on, and then the bike simply would not turn on. Checked the battery, it's dead, simple enough fix.

Wednesday. Bought a new lithium battery and install it. Bike is running perfect. Ride for about 60 minutes on the way to bike night. We are exiting the highway so I downshift. POP. very loud, and the bike has no power. Smoke coming from the left fairing.

Soo, my not even 2 hours old, brand new $200 battery has exploded. Blown it's own top off.

I got it towed to a local shop I know people at (not a Ducati dealer because the closest one is 50 miles away).

What is MOST likely to have caused this?
The bike was running okay with the dying lithium battery, no explosions, I didn't mess with any other electrical components. My thoughts are that it COULD be the rectifier or somehow the battery got grounded.

Could it have to do with this recall: http://motorcycleviews.com/recalls/rec08v638000.htm

Help?

·
Court Jester
12,080 Posts
I would guess a charging issue.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Possibly the leads weren't on tight enough and were sparking on and off contact until boom. This happened to me with the stock battery, not as catastrophic an explosion as yours but a pop-heat-melting dead duc

Also I recall a video a while back of a 848/1x98 with your issue with a lithium battery except his didn't just explode, it caught fire. Dunno what caused that one but sounds similar.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: Shop checked it out with a loaner battery.

The bike would turn on but the starter would not engage when pressed. Checked the fuse box, the starter fuse is blown. Replace the fuse, and the starter non stop turns over until the bike is either turned off or the fuse is removed.

·
Registered
'12 848evo, '13 Hypermotard SP, '94 CBR600f2 track bike, '06 CBR600rr track bike
909 Posts
Stories like this is why I'll carry the extra weight of the old lead acid type batteries.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Welded starter relay would not have been my first guess. Too bad you lost a new battery to find that out. But a note to the future, never just replace a battery without doing a test of the charging system and basic electrical system test.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since my Ducati Dealer has almost a 3 week backup time right now, I stripped the bike down some and did basic electrical tests with a spare, fully charged car battery. I did not experience the starter or fuse issues the shop had identified, and am getting correct volts everywhere with the bike off. I cannot start it due to a CAN and IMMO error.

I've ordered a new Voltage regulator, as the metal on the back side of mine is cracking open, the connector on the yellow wires is also corroded. (maybe this was my problem to start).

When connected to a battery the bike powers on as if the key is turned to 'on' even when it is in the off position without the key in. I fixed the IMMO error by having the key in before connecting power. Now I am only getting a CAN 38.0 error when power is connected to the bike. Pressing the starter button does nothing and the headlights do not work. Everything else seems okay.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
What year is your 848? I believe 2007 - 2010 the main culprit is the voltage regulator as you have stated. I have yet to hear of this problem/ solution for the 2011+ EVO.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What year is your 848? I believe 2007 - 2010 the main culprit is the voltage regulator as you have stated. I have yet to hear of this problem/ solution for the 2011+ EVO.
It's 2009, however after checking the vin it does not qualify for the recall though as it already has the 'upgraded' regulator. (fins on both sides)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts