Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I have a 2009 ducati 1198.I just got my brake pads front and rear replaced. Feels like theres clunking when i pull in the clutch to come to a stop. It didnt do this before the brake pads were change. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
They may have fitted non-standard pads with more clearance between the ends of the pads and the caliper shoulder.

If you look at the rear of the caliper, as the calipers mount on the fork, there are two rectangular holes there, with the brake pads visible.

In the upper one there should be a stainless plate with a small arrow on it. This is the anti-rattle plate, which (if fitted correctly) should prevent this clunking.

Shazaam, I think he means when he pulls the clutch in while moving the bike is quieter, and that's when he hears the clunking?

·
Registered
226 Posts
they may have fitted non-standard pads with more clearance between the ends of the pads and the caliper shoulder.

If you look at the rear of the caliper, as the calipers mount on the fork, there are two rectangular holes there, with the brake pads visible.

In the upper one there should be a stainless plate with a small arrow on it. This is the anti-rattle plate, which (if fitted correctly) should prevent this clunking.

Shazaam, i think he means when he pulls the clutch in while moving the bike is quieter, and that's when he hears the clunking?

+1

Attachments

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
But only if he has floating rotors. The semi-floating stockers are in there tight enough that you won't hear them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Really? Every set of rotors I have ever seen with the riveted buttons are tight and don't make noise.
I drop it down to wear and tear.

Left and right movement is one thing.

Movement forward and back - with the rotation or against the rotation of the wheel - is concerning for me.

Sometimes you'll hear a 'clunk' or metallic rattle over bumps for instance.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I drop it down to wear and tear.

Left and right movement is one thing.

Movement forward and back - with the rotation or against the rotation of the wheel - is concerning for me.

Sometimes you'll hear a 'clunk' or metallic rattle over bumps for instance.
Yeah, I've never run across that. The only time I've heard rotors make noise is when they are full floating.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Just changed the front pads on my 1198 and noted that if you spin the front wheel backward on the stand and apply braking while the wheel is spinning the pads will clunk when the lever is released. This is because of clearance on the pad ends into caliper. They clunk because they shift towards the bottom under braking backwards and the spring clip shifts them back into normal up position when the brake is released. I can image if the spring clip is installed upside down, in the bottom opening of the caliper then they'd clunk every time the brake is applied and released. Something to consider..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Completely agree.

But I have had to replace discs on my last two bikes due to the carriers wearing out so much that the disc moves forward and back with the rotation of the wheel. Not side ways as per norm with floating discs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts