Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have recently purchased my first Desmosedici after many many years of wanting one. I purchased one that has not been ridden and has 2 km on the odometer. Effectively brand new.
The previous owner stated it hasn't been started since leaving the factory.
There is no carbon deposits inside the rear muffler outlets.
There appears to be a small amount of fuel in the tank.
Appart from that it is as the day it was uncrated.
I am not looking to ride this one but store it in my collection. ( I'll be looking for another in the next year or so with minimal kms so that I can experience one first hand)
Is there anything I should be concerned about or need to do to ensure this Desmo is preserved for many years to come.
It is one of the last 100 bikes built as per the build plate if that makes any difference.
Thank you for any help and advice in advance.

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
I have a model of one, every once in a while I get out my magnifying glass and pretend to ride around
I like having a Utube video of Laguna Seca on the screen as a back drop.....just sayin....

.... enjoy!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Congratulations on your latest addition!

The only thing better than admiring Desmo art is riding one! Sounds like you have a plan for that already. Everyone should have al least two Desmos. You may need three: one for the museum, one for the street, and one for the track.

I would suggest removing all of the fuel especially if it has been in the tank since day one.

I would also remove the battery if it is still installed.

I expect you will find another one sooner than you think.

What else is in the museum?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would change all of the fluids in the bike: engine oil, Brake/clutch fluid and especially engine coolant. Use Shell Glycoshell for the coolant flush. Ducati had problems with some of their bikes (Multistradas, etc) and there was a recall that has the dealer fill the system with Glycoshell.

It is standard fill for modern Ferraris as well. It is designed to be a long life coolant with changes once every five years, so you won't have corrosion problems associated with regular coolants.

Your Ducati dealer should have it in stock, although sometime it is behind the counter as a Ducati part

Here is some more info on it:
GlycoShell Longlife Concentrate

I would also recommend putting new fuel in it and a new battery as well. Fill the tank and slosh it around every once in a while and run the bike. The new fuels have so much alcohol in them that over time they separate, the alcohol goes to the bottom of the tank and starts to degrade all the rubber components in the fuel system. Better yet is to find fuel (race gas) with no alcohol in it and fill the tank with that, just be sure that it is unleaded if you still have the cat and O2 sensor fitted.

Brian B.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.