Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello guys, New Here!!!:):):)

I have been reading this forum for a while a now learning as much about Ducati's as much as possible, especially the 1098 (2008). I am very happy that I could use the knowledge collected from this site to help me ride safely.

I have own a ninja 250 in the past and a 650 (still own it). I added a yellow 1098 to the family today and im excited for the change but nervous as well.

My question is simple. I know jumping from a Ninja 650 to a 1099 is huge so I was wondering what kind of advice do you have for me. I am a very safe rider and get aggressive occasionally when needed but I never get over confident that's why im seeking any expectations.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I assume you ride with jackets, gloves, helmet, and riding boots?
If that's the case. Enjoy your new bike. I think you're old enough for us to tell you to take it easy on the throttle.
The dry clutch is a little heavy on the feel for the bike. Change out the slave will help you in the long run. If you're hitting the track, get your suspension set for your weight.
It's an 2008, so beware of the plastic tank expanding issue, recalls (rectifier, leaked radiator),
When needed, check the valve clearance on your bike in case the past owner didn't do so.
Have fun and be safe.
P.S: there is a thread to the link to download the service manual, it'll help you alot when doing major maintenance.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Sport bikes in general are a totally different world. The body positioning is one of the biggest issues I find compared to more upright bikes like the Ninja 250/650. Its much easier to man-handle a bike if you've got wide/high bars vs low/narrow ones. It takes a while to get use to and for some people, the adjustment requires different clip-on's and adjustable rearsets.

The Ducati twin's are also nowhere near as smooth as the Ninja's. The throttle response is very aggressive and if you stay too low in the RPM range, it will buck on you. Its very common for noobs to ride below 4k RPM on accident and freak out. So its important to keep above that low RPM bucking 4K+ RPM's minimal when riding around town.

Finally, weight plays a big factor. The Ducati Superbikes feel a lot heavier then a Ninja, especially the 250. So be mindful of that, its way easier for the bike to get out of shape at low speeds. Ducati superbikes love going fast, they love being leaned over for long periods of time as well. Its a character trait of the platform and there isn't another bike like it in the world in my opinion. Ducati Superbikes are unique machines, you either love'm or hate'm.

Congrats on the purchase and enjoy! Don't spend a dime on it until you've ridden it for a while and gotten use to the machine to make SURE its something you wanna keep. Most people are going to suggest upgrades, but just ride it as is to begin with. Once you've ridden it a while, then you have reason to upgrade.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Donger.

I have all the riding gears. I will be using the 1098 more for fun riding and nothing serous. No tracks yet as I will still be using my 650 for that.

As for the maintaining aspect, I have full warranty on it and will be doing the periodical checkup and adjustment from the dealership.

Ones again, thank you for the info.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TYE1138.

That was what I was getting into. I do pretty well with the RPM in city riding. My modified 650 does turn to buck on me if its below 4rpm so I know what you mean.

I will definitely take this bike out just to have a full feel for it in terms of handling. That was helpful and important.

Also, about the weight, I fully prepared for it and backing off passenger rides for now until I fill fully confident.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Definitely get the suspension set. And do yourself a favor and get rid of those terrible stock foot pegs; you have more grip ice skating than they provide you with.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Congrats!

I picked up a brand new 1098 that was just sitting there in April 2012.

At first I didn't gel with it having been so used to inlines.

After about a 1000kms or so I fell in love with it.

Take your time getting used to it and you should be fine.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I think I will always regret not having bought at least one yellow Ducati.

Make sure all of the recall work has been done. Be carefull to grab the sidestand with just the tip of your boot otherwise you risk scratching the paint on that small section of body-work.

And find yourself one appropriate hex wrench and every once in a while tighten up the screws that hold on the bodywork. They loosen little by little.

Good luck
Pjk

·
Registered
60 Posts
The 1098 has TONS of power and will wheelie unintentionally from just throttle application in the 1st and second (and maybe third).

Also, it has the power to spin the rear wheel and lowside if you go too much throttle coming out of a turn (while still leaned over). So watch that one.

Other than that, take it easy at first, work your way up and have fun! It's a great bike!

·
Registered
135 Posts
First of all, great choice on color, be careful out there as you have chosen the fastest color. If you got a Red, or black one I would say dont worry about it. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks a million

You guys are all very funny and real and I love it :):yo::yo:
I have taken all your advice into consideration and have started with the basics, knowing my bike, weight, feel, confidence and that's working. Like I said, I never over estimate a two wheel with a moto so I am gonna take it easy for sure. Its still a little cold in Denver so :(:(
As of now, I will be whining myself off my Ninja 650R to give the duc sometime to get used to.

One More questions please... I am all for visibility and although I am not ready for any major upgrades yet, I would like to know if there are any good sites that sell some nice led lights/bulbs? I have found a couple but the reviews are all saying the bulbs don't last... 4-6 months max

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Really funny. I will add the S after the 1098 and get back to ya on that one

·
Registered
385 Posts
I've owned the same bike since 1/11 here is my list of what helped best.

1. The Showa suspension sucks. I went with 25mm Ohlins internals and reworked Ohlins S shock. If you don't revalve etc. it don't get it and go with a TTX. Spring both for your weight.

2. Ducshop rear link with shortened ride ht. rod. If you go with the Ohlins S shock. If not you'll find plenty wanting to sell you the shortened TTX setup with the link etc.

3. 30mm or less triple clamps. Just did this this past weekend, absolutely transformed the bike. When going from the Duc. to my GSXR's they felt like they weren't even under me. The Duc. is very close to that type of handling now.

*Note: Even if you're only street riding I HIGHLY recommend all the above. If you ever jump from bike to bike as I do you'll find the Duc. a heavy turning torture rack.

4. Upgrade your battery/starter wiring. I went with a 21ah Shorai battery as well to drop lbs. of weight and it starts on the 3rd crank everytime now.

5. If your temp. doesn't get to 165*, port the temp. sensor housing. I'm running max. temps. on the street in the 180's with Honda Hp coolant.

6. If you're tall a taller windscreen.

7. A "Y" type front brake line system will make life much easier when taking the front tire on an off.

8. Heat shield under the riders seat.

9. Greased clutch plates. I have all OEM masters/slaves, 6 spring clutch still and the entire system works flawlessly on both the street and track. Keep in mind Nori Haga used the OEM clutch slave in WSB. Good enough for them, good enough for me. Funny how you see so many clutch slaves for sale in the parts section.....................

10. HID's high and low. Integrated tail light/turn signals, cleans up the rear.

11. Vented fuel cap, don't park in the sun, and use ethanol treatment in every tank. They pray it doesn't expand, if it does or is go get a free on from your local dealer.

That'll get ya started, now go spend $!

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I say just save your money for gas....the bike is a monster in stock form. If your experience is Ninja 250/650, the Ducati will be way more than enough for you. Good luck, bike looks good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Awesome choice! I will always regret not snagging a yellow one myself. I'm on my 2nd Duc and sticking with the Red :)

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
The suspension is defiantly the best mod for your bike. I would call Kyleusa (AKA DAN KYLE) and ask for his advise on what you can do to your stock suspension to make it handle better. Getting the correct springs, and suspension settings will make the bike much more fun to ride. All bikes are fast in a straight line but not all are fast in turns. Suspension is not just for going fast in turns it is there for safety also. If I get caught in a panic situation and you have a suspension that is set up for you that alone could prevent you from crashing. I am not saying go out there and spend $5-$10k. Having your suspension tuned will give you less brake dive, better feel of your tire's, it will conform much better over city roads, and will help turn in. There are more reasons to set up your suspension those are just the ones's you need to tell your wife to let you spend more money.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts