Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I'm new to Ducatis, and I just purchased a 916 that has been sleeping for eight years. It is a very low mileage (2K miles), 1998 model that was simply never ridden. The tank was bone dry, battery stone dead, and was buried in the back of the previous owner's garage. It is clean as a whistle, and of course he says it ran fine the day he last turned it off.

I changed all the fluids, new battery, new plugs, etc., and am trying to start it. It cranks well, but has no spark to either plug.

Are there any simple things that a newby like me would not be aware of? Electrical interconnects or safety devices such as pulling in the clutch, side-stand down, or other things going on that would be easily missed?

If not, and I need to start looking at the next level, what would you suggest I look at first, second, etc., to start diagnosing the 'no spark' problem.

Thanks much,
Steve

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Fuses and relays. If it sat that long I'm sure those things need refreshing. Wouldn't hurt to check all the wiring to make sure there complete and covered, no open splicing from critter munching.
I have a '99 996 and getting fresh new relay fuses made a huge difference in mine. It fixed a couple of firing issues I've had in the past.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies, guys. I checked all the fuses and they are good. Can you educate me a little on the relays I should be checking, and their location? Also too, when I turn on the key, should I hear the fuel pump running?

Steve

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Yes you should. I was just about to say, are you sure it's a spark issue?? Maybe it's not getting any fuel on the start. If it really is a spark issue, you could always check the spark plugs and replace if necessary.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The fuel pump is silent when the key is turned on. So I will look into it. Is that an easy replacement, or a PITA? I put new plugs in, and before installation, laid them on the head and cranked it... zero spark. So I'll have to chase that down too. As soon as I get a wiring diagram. I have a few old Triumphs, so I'm familiar with chasing down random electrical gremlins in the famous Lucas electrical systems.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hey sullivs, the fuel pump could be a dead horse if there was gas in the tank when the previous owner mothballed the thing. However, the pump is run by a realay that is in turn controlled by the ecu. If you're now getting spark, you can be sure that the ecu is doing its thing. Try cycling the key switch off and on in a quiet place and listen for a click from the relay. The fuel pump is also protected by its own fuse. So check that with a multi tester or a test light. Hopefully you can get the pump to run. If not, it will be a good excuse to re-do the fuel circuit. ie pump, filter, regulater, and plumbing within the tank. Good luck, and don't hesitate to throw up some pics of your "new" 916 for me to envy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sure thing... here is a pic of it after I gave it a good bath. Don't know if I can attach it correctly. You say the fuel has it's own fuse. Is it in the fuse block on the right side, above the battery?

Thanks,
Steve
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Why does it say "999" on it??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The PO knew after the fact that the 999 decals were wrong. He had some right-side body damage repaired. He said it was knocked over in the garage. The clutch cover and rear brake lever have some damage on it that indicate it was a little more than that. But, I can't tell.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Shrek stop trolling...

Reactions: 219R

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Not trolling..
Some things not right here..

98 is a 996 year not 916

998 wheels.

999 headlight bucket and lights

999 fairings

What dash might be there? Which ecu and will they talk to each other.

Op has start issues.. Bike sitting maybe Po gave up as too hard..

Can you picture the shift lever and rear brake pedal.. That may guide as to real mileage.

Interesting concept bike but it does not seem you bought a 916.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Nice looking bike. I had that same wheel set. Really lite and pretty. They are after market Marchesini cast magnesium. A very functional, tasteful upgrade
Its been a while so i don't recall exactly where things are situated on the 916, but it should be in the main fuse block, and a heavier amp fuse. If you pull the tank you can just check for voltage at the fuel pump connection. If you pull back the rubber cover on the connector 2 wires will be of a heavier guage. 1 black and 1 brown /red (i think). If you dont have 12 or so volts there with everything on (remember you will only get power for like 4 seconds after you turn ignition on), try swapping the relay switches around. If you do have proper voltage at the connector, its time to ebay your self a fuel pump. Good luck. That thing is gonna sound nice and baritone mellow with those slip-ons

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hey Shrek, my 916 was a 98 and other than the color it looked identical. The wheels are definitely ont oe on any model. I put those exact same wheels on mine. Replacing the oe 3 spoke boat anchors of that era. Im sure of this. I slept with that bike for years.. totally platonic... dont make it weird

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.