Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
Brand new to the forum and potential 748 owner. I currently own a 2006 S2R 1000 in black (The fasted color:naughty:)

Looking for some advice and valuation of a bike I'm looking at.

2001 748 S
26** Miles
RED
Hasn't been ridden in 5 years
Started up Couple of months ago
Original Tires
Original Belts

So my question is what do you think is a fair price for this bike? It's in immaculate condition, but considering the low miles and little use I am thinking the following will need to be done to make the bike safe and minimize problems:

Change Belts ASAP
Change Tires ASAP
Change Oil
Flush and Change Coolant
Replace fuel lines (I guess these are supposed to be changed every two yrs anyway?)
Replace coolant lines
Re-grease Wheel bearings, headstock bearings, swingarm bearings.
Change fork oil
Maybe engine seals?

Am I missing anything? The real issue for me is that this is an emotional purchase. I first fell in love with this body style watching SuperBike Sunday and watching Carl Fogerty win 4 championships. It's the RED one! I look at what this guy is asking and I can understand from his point of view-Basically new, no miles, why shouldn't I ask a premium+ price? However from hanging around Monster forums the last couple of years I know that I would probably be better off if the bike had been ridden more-BUT IT'S THE RED ONE THAT LOOKS LIKE THE 916:yo:

Someone talk me down and give me a realistic value on this bike.

Thanks, for any advice or information you all can provide. If I end up with this thing I'm sure I'll be here a lot asking annoying questions.

Cameron

·
Registered
37 Posts
Price all of that with a Ducati tech. Or better yet have it checked out by a tech to make sure there's no catastrophic damage (cracked engine housing, bent frame, etc). Between those things and the asking price you should get a pretty good idea of what to offer.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Personally I would not give any more than 4K.
Yes is the 9xx model and timeless bodystile but take in consideration mileage,model year,engine size and that this motors need a lot of maintenance bugs will arise for starters the charging system and then is down hill since is old and has mileage on it; plus were you live the closest dealer is San Antonio or Houston to do any work to this models.
If you are planing to give any more you better buy a 996,998 model if you are set on that body stile.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My thinking is that I want the 748 because as I understand it it is relatively reliable and the lower power from a liter bike might be a better idea for me. Going from the air cooled monster to the 748 should be enough of a jump. I plan to do a lot of the maintenance myself, at least the simple stuff, belts, oil, coolant etc.

He is asking 7k (It's currently on cycle trader) which I think is pretty high.

Given it's age and milage am I begging for trouble? I plan to use it for the occasional track day and Starbucks posing:)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Too much.
A friend of mine 5 months ago got a red 996 with all sorts of carbon and all maintenance records for $6500 and only 12K on the clock.
My recomendation is to stay away and find the right deal.

Reactions: white_duc89

·
Registered
17 Posts
If I remember correctly, the earlier 748s had rocker arms that "flaked" big bucks to fix if not covered by warranty. I'd definitely make sure that wasn't the case by having a qualified mechanic check...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Its basically worth what someone is willing to pay for it..

You can use NADA or KBB motorcycles values as a general guide.

Looks like it going to need some TLC and mechanical attention; factor that into the price.

·
Registered
564 Posts
My thinking is that I want the 748 because as I understand it it is relatively reliable and the lower power from a liter bike might be a better idea for me. Going from the air cooled monster to the 748 should be enough of a jump. I plan to do a lot of the maintenance myself, at least the simple stuff, belts, oil, coolant etc.

He is asking 7k (It's currently on cycle trader) which I think is pretty high.

Given it's age and milage am I begging for trouble? I plan to use it for the occasional track day and Starbucks posing:)
7k is waaayyyy too much. Back in October I got a yellow 748s monoposto for $5,500 in mint condition (from what I've been told-I'm out of the country and a friend's been storing it) with 13,500 miles that just got a service done. Try talking him down to 5-5.5k, if the seller isn't willing to haggle I'd walk away, there's plenty of low mileage bikes out there with decent service history. For 7k I've seen 998's for sale...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. RIGS you are a dream killer man:) But thanks for the suggestion on the 996/8. I hadn't even considered them, thinking they were way too much power. Looking at the specs they aren't that nuts, I was afraid they were going to be like my buddies RSV4-Just cruising along I hit 120 without tryng or thinking about it. Too much for me anyway. Byt the 996/8 idea has a lot of merit. I've been reading more about t, and I guess one of those is easier to do maintenance on yourself? Something about how the heads are configured?

·
Registered
564 Posts
A 996/998 is more comparable to an 848 in performance than an RSV4, at least that's how I feel having ridden all of them. FYI, the 998's have the testastretta engine as opposed to the desmoquatro in the 748/996, it's supposed to be more reliable (though with anything, that's subject to the previous owner). There's an '02 998 up on cycletrader for 7k in Wisconsin, not sure how far you're willing to go for a new bike, but it's not a bad deal.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
4 grand at the most....it's gonna cost 2 grand just to get it rideable.....tell him not to start it till the belts are checked at least if not replaced...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts