Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there! I just got a 2002 Ducati 748 by accident really. Well it's been parked in my garage all winter (got it in november) I have started it up periodically but I haven't actually ridden it or even sat on it until today... well I am way too short for it, I can barely touch the ground on my tippy toes. I was told I could relax the suspension to lower it down a little? Is that possible? This is my first street bike so I don't really know the ins and outs of anything. The bike runs pretty good and my friend took it for a quick ride before we had a lot of snow and he said it ran ok minus being a bit wobbly (but we linked that with the very low rear tire that we let air out of to close the tailgate for shipping) so any advice and info anyone has would be incredibly appreciated!

Court Jester
Welcome aboard!

Registered
Welcome to the forum! I don't know too much about lowering bikes, but I believe you should be able to raise the forks in the triple clamp, thus lowering the ride height for you.

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone! And thank you for the link! That is exactly what I was looking for!

Registered
Congrats and Welcome! How tall are you? I would try relaxing the suspension first (set sag etc.) before you start lowering it. I've found people have a tendency to set these bikes up pretty stiff and this will be especially true for you as I'm sure you are much lighter than the previous owner. You still might need to lower it after but it's a good starting point.

I'm 5 ft 2 and you may not need to lower the bike as much as you think once you get used to it.

Mary

Registered
Apart from adjusting the suspension as mentioned above, if further adjustments are made, I personally would make sure that the geometry of the bike stays the same...in other words, make sure that you lower both the front and rear. If not, the handling of the bike most likely suffers and the resulting handling affects every corner...the ride height only poses a problem at stand still...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Congrats and Welcome! How tall are you? I would try relaxing the suspension first (set sag etc.) before you start lowering it. I've found people have a tendency to set these bikes up pretty stiff and this will be especially true for you as I'm sure you are much lighter than the previous owner. You still might need to lower it after but it's a good starting point.

I'm 5 ft 2 and you may not need to lower the bike as much as you think once you get used to it.

Mary

You are 5'2!? That gives me hope!!!! I'm 5'4 on a good day! I called my local dealer and they wanted $500 to lower it!!!! when I get on the bike the springs don't move so I'm assuming that its pretty stiff haha!

Registered
ducatichick33;794457when I get on the bike the springs don't move so I'm assuming that its pretty stiff haha![/QUOTE said:
a correct set suspension will help you , like others have said. Ducati sets these things up pretty stiff from the factory

Registered
$500 to lower the bike?? I'll do it for a couple of beers...it takes like 20 minutes (as long as you can access the bolts on the triples and clip-ons without removing the front fairing, otherwise it'd be a bit more). But you probably live in another state, so it wouldn't be worth the travel! :D

Look at the rear ride height adjusting rod and see how many threads are visible on both end...assuming it's adjustable. But maybe I shouldn't assume that since not all bikes came with adjustable ones. If it's a solid rod, then you may have to get an aftermarket adjustable one....maybe that's why the dealer is asking 500 bucks...that would make more sense.

Registered
You are 5'2!? That gives me hope!!!! I'm 5'4 on a good day! I called my local dealer and they wanted $500 to lower it!!!! when I get on the bike the springs don't move so I'm assuming that its pretty stiff haha!
Take your $500 dollars and find a suspension tech...I am fairly certain once he sets up the suspension, your 5'4" will fit just fine...or your 5'3" if you are having a bad day... ;)

And the best part...you should go home with still a large chunk of that money in your pocket...

Just make sure whoever you go to knows how to actually set up suspension correctly...

Registered
The aftermarket height adjusting rods (i call them dog bones) aren't that expensive - less than a $100 and switching them out isn't that hard. Although I have to be honest, my husband switched mine out for me so of course it wasn't hard for me. But I don't remember him bitching too much so it couldn't have been that bad. ;)

Anyway, I only ended having to lower mine about 1/4 inch and it surprisingly made all the difference in the world. With such a small change, I didn't have to worry about any adjustments to the front. I am still on my tip toes and usually end up balancing on one foot but I'm pretty comfortable with that as all bikes are tall for me except for maybe a Rebel 250.

Where are you located? My husband and I have been using GMD Computrak in Atlanta for years for both our street and race bikes and he is a super honest and fair person to work with. If you are near him, I'd highly recommend him as an option.

Mary

1 - 17 of 17 Posts