Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to Ducati, but not new to riding. I have been on bikes for almost 20 years, both dirt and street, track and touring.
I have narrowed my choices down, and two used bikes that I am looking at stand out.
Given that the price is the same (for all intents and purposes, it is), what would you do:

Option A: Bone stock 2008 white (My preferable color) 848. It has between 4,000 and 5,000 miles, and appears to be in great shape with no cosmetic issues. New tires, battery, hoses, and belts (sounds like most of the 7500 service). All documented dealership work.

Option B: Tastefully modified (and appears to be very well cared for) 2007 red 1098. Full Termi exhaust, Vortex rearsets, double bubble screen, aftermarket levers, newer tires, battery, chain and sprockets. The downside? It has higher mileage, almost 20,000. Again, this one sounds to have been dealer maintained.

I don't need, or particularly lust after the added power of the 1098. However, I am a value minded guy. I know the bigger bike will likely hold value better in the long run. I also know that I will want to do similar mods to the 848 that are already done on the 1098 (and I wont be able to afford a full exhaust system, so would likely settle for slip ons, but still a huge extra expense).

Do I go for the factory fresh, low miles. But with the trade off of more depreciation, and added cost of putting accessories on myself? Or should I pick up a higher mileage, well maintained, and tastefully modified bike that will likely hold its value better?
I have a Concours 1400 for touring, so I am just looking for an around town, backroad bomber that looks as good as it sounds. Perhaps the occasional track day, in the little kids group.

I am open to all opinions. I don't know the Ducati market as well as many of you may.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Option B if you like the mods. Will save some money and you won't ever have that "I wish I got the bigger bike."

That said, option A gives you the chance to mod it more to your taste. If I remember correctly the 848s were generally more popular than the 1x98s so value retention should be relatively level. The fresher bike is less likely to have been beat up in its lifespan too.

Since you have a hyper tourer and have been riding so long, I think you might do better with the 848. Regardless, I know you'll be equally happy with either bike given your priorities. Good luck!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Like random said option a is a blank canvas and the mods the guy has done to the 1098 might not be exactly what you want once you start riding the bike.

·
Registered
142 Posts
You mentioned you want a bike that sounds good. If you like the sound of a dry clutch, get the 1098 (I personally love the sound of a dry clutch), plus it already has the full Termi system.

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
848 alllllllll day......not that don't like the 1098 but I'm biased and I can admit it. Personally I think dry clutches are frikin' annoying. Owned a couple......found them not the best for longevity.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Due to personal bias, I'd going to lean towards the 1098.

Nothing wrong with the 848, an excellent bike just the same.

Test ride them both and make your own decision :)

·
Registered
457 Posts
I'd jump on the 1098 if the mileage wasn't so "high". Was it one owner, or...? The mods to the 1098 would be a determining factor so long as all the maintenance records are good.

·
Registered
248 Posts
1098 would be my choice. Higher miles don't matter as long as it has been maintained.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I'm gonna go.against the grain here and say the 848. I own an 848 and an 1198. The 848 is a better streetbike.

Lol, now having said that my streetbike is the 1198 and my racebike is an 848. .....

I just think the 848 is better for all around riding. The 1198 is twitchy, herky jerky and not happy at less than warp speed....

I'm also a long time rider, dirt, street, track, etc. And I love the 'HOLY SHIT THIS IS FAST' feeling as much as anyone, the 848 is just more civilized....but it's also a screamer that I've taken to 150mph +......

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would go with the 848 because of the low miles. In my experience (15 years riding street bikes), selling a bike with high miles is often much more difficult. Personally, I would never buy a bike with more than 10k miles... All you need on the 848 is a slip on and a fender eliminator, everything else is not too important. Just me 2 cents.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts