Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys. I've installed some new Rizoma levers recently on my 848 and had good luck with the clutch, but not so much with the brake. After perusing the forums for the past hour, I noticed that adjusting the OEM pin was the most important part in getting the brake to disengage. This is all well and good, but I have another problem as well.

Even with the lever taken off entirely, the brake drags. This shouldn't be possible right? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I don't see how it could engage with zero pressure on the cylinder. :ahhh:

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
There is always a very slight amount of drag from the front rotors Corse. A 'normal' amount of drag is when you spin the front wheel on the stand it will do about 3 rotations before it stops. I would suggest to fit your lever, make sure you have about 15mm of freeplay (measured at the outer end) and test ride carefully to be sure all is well. Check you also have a little bit of air space in the fluid reservoir also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: Adjusted the free-play accordingly, but there is still significant drag. I looked at the pads and they seem to be touching the rotor even with the brake completely disengaged. Fluid level is just below max. I can also hear the pad rubbing when I just roll the bike around.

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
DIsc brakes always rub and there is always minor contact between the pad and the rotor, there is no internal piston reutrn spring to bakc the pads off. Bassically betwen the minor deviations in the rotor, the resistance of the piston seal and the force oof the pad overcoming the hydraulic force of the fluid are the onlyreasons th pads back off at all. Due to the mechanical advantage given by the hydraulic system, if there were a gap, your levers would hit the bar before you got the pads to move enought to start braking.

On that note, I have notice that sometimes my 2012 evo corse brakes are bound up tight when I first try to maneuver out of my car port in the mornings. I suspect it has to do with the lack of lubricant on the lands of the caliper where the backing plates of the pads slide. To be honest I've been too busy to screw with it and put some high temp brake paste on them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the insight. I'm hoping the little bit of drag they have now is supposed to be there. I put the OEM lever back on and I'll have the dealer adjust the new one. I took a ride yesterday and the brake wouldn't disengage after light braking. After some pumping it returned to normal, but pretty hair raising on a crowded highway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts