Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, my first time on this forum. What a great place for Ducati ownders. I have just purchased a 2013 848 EVO and love it, although it is so different from the R6 I used to ride.

I posted a photo of it here: http://www.ducati.org/forums/848/6006-your-848-picture-294.html#post718416

I look forward to being a part of this wonderful community.

Two things I wanted to ask here:

1) It seems that the 848EVO doesnt like low revs, once over 3000 its smooth though, and

2) It seems to vibrate a lot, compared to the R6 - is that because of the V Twin engine configuration?

I love riding it, and cant wait to be done with the break in period ;)

·
Registered
318 Posts
welcome.

The answer to both questions is L-Twin.

Fewer power strokes per revolution creates vibration and extreme low end lag. When Duc owners express enjoyment of low end torque- it means bellow the 8k rpm you need to spin an I4 engine at to get any responsiveness. You also get the added bonus of not having the high frequency buzz that leads to tingling appendages at the end of a ride.

If you haven't done so already- get the bike set up for your weight and check the tire pressures. These bikes are notoriously oversprung and overinflated off the showroom floor.

Check out the search function at the upper ribbon as you find the nuances of these bikes.
Key terms- heat, vibration, suspension set up, seats, fuel tank, 14t, slip on, tires, levers, bolts/hardware.

There are a few people here that have years of knowledge working in shops and on tracks to help you along your way. For starters, find all posts by Shazaam to get a feel for what you can get from the members here.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate the response. Will certainly search through the forum - it looks like a wealth of information and advice.

I love the bike - it has so much character, and the engine/exhaust sound is so much better compared to the R6.

Might have to go with Termi slip-ons in KF. Fender will have to get cleaned up, as well as possibly a tinted windshield. Dont think I'll do much more...

As far as the setup, I asked the dealer about this and they said that the personal suspension setup etc. is extra $$$, which doesnt make much sense to me, as I was buying the bike, shouldnt it be tuned for me? Anyways when I go in for my 600 mile service I'll do the sag/suspension setup. Honestly it felt good, not twitchy, glued to the blacktop. Now obviousely I didnt open it up yet, as I'm breaking it in still...

serge

·
Registered
318 Posts
Appreciate the response. Will certainly search through the forum - it looks like a wealth of information and advice.

I love the bike - it has so much character, and the engine/exhaust sound is so much better compared to the R6.

Might have to go with Termi slip-ons in KF. Fender will have to get cleaned up, as well as possibly a tinted windshield. Dont think I'll do much more...

As far as the setup, I asked the dealer about this and they said that the personal suspension setup etc. is extra $$$, which doesnt make much sense to me, as I was buying the bike, shouldnt it be tuned for me? Anyways when I go in for my 600 mile service I'll do the sag/suspension setup. Honestly it felt good, not twitchy, glued to the blacktop. Now obviousely I didnt open it up yet, as I'm breaking it in still...

serge
Check your bill- they charged you for delivery and set up. It takes about ten minutes as long as you don't need a lighter rear spring.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Check your bill- they charged you for delivery and set up. It takes about ten minutes as long as you don't need a lighter rear spring.

If a dealer charged set up, it was to service the bike to be ridden, not set-up for riders weight. HOWEVER, that being said. It doesn't take but a few minutes to set suspension and they should do that as a curtesy. All they have to do is make a few measurements and make a couple of turns with at wrench.

Welcome to the Duc. My recomendation is to match your gears with your speed. L twins do not like high gears with low travel speeds.

·
Court Jester
12,025 Posts
Welcome, the difference if you left it stock will become second nature you will learn to feather the clutch more. They don't like going slow :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Working on this, although as I give more revs and feather the clutch the bike surges forward little too fast for my liking, so I guess I'm not as smooth on it yet, like I was on the R6.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts