Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone , I'm new to this forum and I'm not sure this is the best thread to post this on,
but reading around on here I picked up on a few comments that have irritated me for years
..... the RIDICULOUS prices charged for Ducati parts.
But that is the motor trade for you .... they don't make the big profit selling you the bike ,
they make it year after year because you love your bike.

Likewise I noticed a comment about " throwing money at the bike ".
I did the same for the first two years, from new, mainly to preserve the warranty.
Here in Europe , the law has changed and manufacturers are no longer allowed to
void the warranty just because the bike wasn't serviced by an official dealer.

After I had my first major ( dealer ) service I found rounded nuts on timing belt rollers , a split-ring
from the valves in my oil and fairing holes that had been filed oval because some idiot
hammer-wielding grease-monkey couldn't be bothered to fit the pieces properly.
When I found out I tried to contact the dealer but they had already been taken over
..... contacted Ducati .... they weren't interested " Not our responsibility ... ????? "

I could go on and on ..... but once the warranty was over , I did all work myself.
The bike is now 15 years old , has 140,000 km on the clock and still runs beautifully.
And I ALWAYS use non-ducati parts whenever I can .... eg timing belts , fuel system components
( which are all either Weber or BMW anyway )
And I NEVER use synthetic oil ( Emperor's New Clothes scenario if ever there was one ! )

This "precious" attitude that comes from the dealers , and sometimes from the factory is
often a load of crap.
The " official" figures for valve clearances have changed several times since I got the
factory manual for my bike ... make of that what you will !

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
So I don't get your point...
First it was the price on an exotic brand...check, well duh..that's why there are aftermarkets-free market
Then the shitty service from a dealer and blame on the CEO? You know how that works. The chain of command works inside the military just like civilian world on corporate level..of course Ducati won't say shit to ya if the problems came from a shitty tech from a dealer.
Suck it up, butter cup..good thing you're doing your own maintenance just like most of us here...I'd rather own a Ducati than anything else even though I'm only in the low middle class, according to where I live.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I joined two different Ducati forums today and wrote a general sort of comment
about my many years of experience as a Ducati owner on both of them ,
but I was just speaking as a new forum member.
-
Perhaps I wrote too much .... ha ha !
-
And yes , I agree , I would rather own a Ducati than anything else .....
but I don't want to be treated like a chump for making that choice , especially
when it comes to keeping my bike in top condition !
-
One of these two forums looked like it had intelligent people posting to it
..... I just can't remember which one it was right now .....

-
But anyways , at least I got a response .... a kind of "Welcome to the Forum " , I guess.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
^ it got me frustrated with the expanding tank issue and radiator leaks as well..then I've realized there will be flaws regardless.
But overall..I have a big ass grin on my face every time I ride my bike :D

·
Court Jester
11,824 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Welcome aboard Oldtech. Sorry to hear about your experience with your (former) dealer. But you are better off doing your own work if you can. Are you in the UK, or mainland Europe?

Parts prices are a bit out of our control, and certainly it is true that Ducati often do better out of us after the sale of the bike, than from the original purchase.

Many a new bike has been sold where the dealer made more out of the helmet and gear than out of selling the bike itself.

As you may be aware, just getting the parts is more of an issue than their pricing. Me waiting here for a new piston assembly I don't strictly need..

If you haven't read my 'Pat's Engine Overhaul' thread you won't be aware that I went to replace the rings on my '07 1098S, only to find that they had changed the piston for 2008, so I had to buy pistons rather than just rings.

And then discovered that there was only one piston assembly available IN THE WORLD! (Here in Oz, uncannily enough). For a popular twin-cylinder model, still sold up to 2011 in the Streetfighter..

So the price is a secondary issue for me at this stage. I would also add that a few people have had breakages of non-original cambelts, so going that way is not necessarily the solution.

So I'm now three weeks into a wait for Ducati to re-manufacture the pistons and send me one. I had already waited weeks for my other parts before they told me they couldn't get one piston (and had already supplied the one they had, which affected my options).

Hard to be happy with that, after 40 years of Ducati ownership and work, and advocating for the marque in times when not everyone took them seriously..

:(

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Ducati is not immune to these issues. I had nothing but issues with my KTM 4 stroke engine re-build. All sorts of crazy bullshit including KTM mislabeling parts, which I complained to KTM North America about. They said; "what do you want us to do about it?" Thats when I realized, there was truly NO help out there for people doing self service. The bikes are getting more and more complicated as well, soon it will be nearly impossible to do service without a substantial amount of specialized tools AND know-how. Forget about high part prices, forget about part availability, what if you simply can't get the motor apart? Then what do you do?

Brave new world I tells ya! :(

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ducati is not immune to these issues. I had nothing but issues with my KTM 4 stroke engine re-build. All sorts of crazy bullshit including KTM mislabeling parts, which I complained to KTM North America about. They said; "what do you want us to do about it?" Thats when I realized, there was truly NO help out there for people doing self service. The bikes are getting more and more complicated as well, soon it will be nearly impossible to do service without a substantial amount of specialized tools AND know-how. Forget about high part prices, forget about part availability, what if you simply can't get the motor apart? Then what do you do?

Brave new world I tells ya! :(
Soon?...where have you been? Most Ducatis require specialty tools just to change the timing belts. Has been that way for some time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What it comes down to is you gotta pay to play. No one is forcing you to own a motorcycle. It's purely out of love for the machines. I'm not saying it's acceptable for the dealers to charge outrageous prices for "simple" jobs, but it's a business. Can't blame 'em. Personally, I have no problem spending the money to get service done to a machine that I know I shouldn't attempt doing. All in all, I'd rather spend my money on motorcycles and motorcycle-related parts instead of getting white girl wasted at a tittie bar. Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I like it that what I ride didn't come from a cookie cutter.

Completely agree with you, Italian > Japanese any day unless sushi is involved. Italian made instills confidence in me knowing that love and passion went into building a machine that separates the pavement and my ass cheeks

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Soon?...where have you been? Most Ducatis require specialty tools just to change the timing belts. Has been that way for some time.
Nope, they don't require any "specialty" tools to change timing belts. You can rotate the crank via the rear wheel and a grease pencil works great for marking the cam location. An iPhone with frequency measuring device such as a piano or guitar tuner, works great for setting belt tension.

The only speciality tools you NEED for a Ducati motor is one to pull off the left side engine case, one to hold the crank, one to pull off the flywheel and one to hold the clutch basket. Outside of that, everything else is mechanics 101 standard stuff anyone would normally have.

The KTM needs lots of special tools, things you don't have to deal with on the Ducati's like a tool which over-tightens the cam chain so you can get accurate timing numbers. The big important tool is a case separator. The Ducati's you can grab the holes where the cylinders go and yank, can't do that on the KTM's. You need a special tool to pressurize to pins on the cases which in tern, separate the case.

·
Registered
310 Posts
i havent personally looked yet but I am sure there are some TCO reports out there. I know there are folks in the automotive industry doing these.

For me it buying a ducati is similar to having sex without a condom, you know what you are gonna get if you dont pull out before you seal the deal.

·
Court Jester
11,824 Posts
i havent personally looked yet but I am sure there are some TCO reports out there. I know there are folks in the automotive industry doing these.

For me it buying a ducati is similar to having sex without a condom, you know what you are gonna get if you dont pull out before you seal the deal.
There are plenty of aftermarket specialty tools available for a fraction of the price of OEM. From the chain adjuster, to the engine turn.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Now I'm wondering why I wasted my time making up the two different spanners required to adjust the cambelt tensioner wheel on the two different types in the 848/1X98 range..

The one with a hex, the other with the two pins..

:confused:

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Now I'm wondering why I wasted my time making up the two different spanners required to adjust the cambelt tensioner wheel on the two different types in the 848/1X98 range..
I use an open ended wrench, which I ground down at the end to make it really flat. Its not a special tool, its something you can source at your near-by tool shop and grind down yourself.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts